Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS and Best

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
What i cannot excuse and what separates CMS from Best is effort. At least CMS looked as though he was trying , whereas Best strolled around at times with hands on Hips and acting like a spoiled kid.
As for the rest of the team a poor performance allround as per Reading and i hate the fact that we seem very weak and easily out muscled and tend to go down looking for the free kick all of the time .
Rant Over

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Thought Best was okay second half last night but by then his general attitude had hacked me off so much I was delighted to see the back of him. Can't imagine he's popular, given the big performance he makes of berating his team-mates at every opportunity. Seems to think he's a cut above and does have quick feet but maybe he should be putting away his free headers before he goes all Billy Big-time. Crying out for Chris O'Grady first half especially, so that we could hold the ball up rather than keep chasing it. As for CMS, his main job seems to be stretching the defence by running into the channels and he sticks to it - but zero goal threat. I think Hughton has actually been the first boss to play to this strengths a bit and, sadly, all that's really done is prove that he's not quite up to it any more.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Do you go last night? If you did it was plain to see that Best and CMS are both not up to standard. All CMS offers is running around like a frenzied dog but not actually creating anything and Best just strolls around like he is not interested. He had a couple of good touches but is still not up to this level. There is no way you can compare CMS or Best to Ashley Barnes.

I'm not comparing them to Ashley Barnes. I am using past comments to judge whether some of our fans can be used to reliably inform people who were not there, whether certain players are good or not and their record with Barnes suggest perhaps not. All I am saying is that I would think WA is a better judge. Nor am I saying that Best is brilliant, just that WA said last night that he had played well so I will go along with that.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Surprising to see this thread, only because on BBC Sussex they was saying that best had an excellent 2nd half and its the best they have seen him play. (Excuse the pun)

I switched over to Millwalls commentary towards the end, and their commentators were saying the same. Surprised, and relieved that he was subbed.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I felt Best executed a couple of really cute turns, skinning the defender each time. Still looks a bit apathetic at times.

As for CMS, don't think I've seen a player with less self-confidence for ages. Awful and sad to see.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I'm not comparing them to Ashley Barnes. I am using past comments to judge whether some of our fans can be used to reliably inform people who were not there, whether certain players are good or not and their record with Barnes suggest perhaps not. All I am saying is that I would think WA is a better judge. Nor am I saying that Best is brilliant, just that WA said last night that he had played well so I will go along with that.

I originally created an account on this site to put my views across that Barnes was a very good player, when people on here were slating him on here non stop.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Got to say, that was an appalling display from both of them.

They rallied a little before they were substituted, but the first half performance was nowhere near championship standard.

What was CMS thinking in the first half when he took on the keeper and came away with the ball? What made him play the ball deep into play rather than just having any speculative shot towards goal? Terrible decision and signs of a player that has lost his striker's instinct.

As for Best. He did eventually show some muscle and had one decent attempt on goal, but it's just not good enough. His attitude stinks and he's totally unable to hold the ball up. COG and Tex showed them how it should be done in the last 10 minutes. If only we had played those two for 80 mins and CMS and Best for 10 then we'd have 3 points in the bag.

We'll survive, but Hughton will continue to experiment in preparation for next season. I'm afraid the testing of different line ups is going to make the rest of the season a real drag for us as we squeeze out the remaining 7 or so points we need.

One thing is for sure. Unless this squad is radically changed in the summer, we will go down next year. Last night showed why both clubs are in the position they are - they can't cope with the football at this level right now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What i cannot excuse and what separates CMS from Best is effort. At least CMS looked as though he was trying , whereas Best strolled around at times with hands on Hips and acting like a spoiled kid.
As for the rest of the team a poor performance allround as per Reading and i hate the fact that we seem very weak and easily out muscled and tend to go down looking for the free kick all of the time .
Rant Over

Agree with this. Lazy and shot to pieces not a good front line

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I switched over to Millwalls commentary towards the end, and their commentators were saying the same. Surprised, and relieved that he was subbed.

Clearly the BBC Sussex and Millwall commentators were not at the game and instead watching a grainy black and white feed on a 3 inch by 5 inch monitor, because for 75% of the time Best was not best.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Best has featured in 28 games for Derby and us this season and is yet to score, although I'll fully concede that a number of the Derby appearances were as a late substitute.

There may be a decent striker in there somewhere, but it's going to take some finding now.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
All last night proved was that we have to completely overhaul the forward section of our squad next season. I also thought Best had an ok game yesterday but even an improved contribution from him was still very poor. As for CMS it's really sad that we are seeing him play out his ill-fated Albion career in such a manner. When he failed to chance his arm after the keeper ran out of the the box you could see he was a player completely lacking in confidence. Neither he nor Best should be here next season. I'd keep Baldock but I would be looking to bring in at least two new forwards capable of challenging for a starting place in the summer. We cannot continue with our forward line under-performing so spectacularly next season. CoG would be ok as a back up I guess but he is not the answer either.

This will be the biggest post season challenge for Hughton and the recruitment team this summer, I do not envy them this task.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The comparison to Barnes is hilarious simply because no one is offering any context. When we had Ulloa up front Barnes simply wasn't as good as him (at least not in our system) and the fans recognised that drop in quality when comparing the two play for our first team. That doesn't mean Barnes isn't a superior option to either Best or CMS, and it also doesn't mean said criticism wasn't well founded when he played for us and he was being compared to Ulloa; it is just about the context.

And lets be honest, in relation to the comments about the comparable efforts of Best and CMS, the effort from CMS is because he surely knows hes on borrowed time and wants to impress whereas Best is just borrowed so it really doesn't affect him all that much if he isn't liked as he can just go back to a tasty contract at his former club.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Best has featured in 28 games for Derby and us this season and is yet to score, although I'll fully concede that a number of the Derby appearances were as a late substitute.

There may be a decent striker in there somewhere, but it's going to take some finding now.

I'm in my mid-forties now.

This is what I'd imagine I'd look like when I see Best score his next goal...

bpl_love_is_tough_11_0.png

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
All last night proved was that we have to completely overhaul the forward section of our squad next season. I also thought Best had an ok game yesterday but even an improved contribution from him was still very poor. As for CMS it's really sad that we are seeing him play out his ill-fated Albion career in such a manner. When he failed to chance his arm after the keeper ran out of the the box you could see he was a player completely lacking in confidence. Neither he nor Best should be here next season. I'd keep Baldock but I would be looking to bring in at least two new forwards capable of challenging for a starting place in the summer. We cannot continue with our forward line under-performing so spectacularly next season. CoG would be ok as a back up I guess but he is not the answer either.

This will be the biggest post season challenge for Hughton and the recruitment team this summer, I do not envy them this task.

Can you just clarify "an ok game".

I thought that on a few occasions he managed to turn a player, but thereafter he created little.

I think that final comment of yours is spot on. I hope the management team are all aligned when it comes to the rebuilding required.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From The Goldstone to Falmer, aside from Ulloa and Zamora plus the odd fleeting cameo season, that would appear to be the mantra for all Albion's strikers.

Even then you've got to think Ulloa & BZ only slide because they werent here long enough to get shitehouse.

If only centre halves and centre forwards were one of the same.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Surprising to see this thread, only because on BBC Sussex they was saying that best had an excellent 2nd half and its the best they have seen him play. (Excuse the pun)

Leon Best played like Craig Davies instead of Billy Paynter could be the analogy we're looking for.

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
This is the same Leon Best who was spotted parking in a disabled space outside the BP/M&S at Emsworth (despite plenty of free spaces) on Saturday evening while still dressed in all his Albion gear, the poor bloke should be applauded for even getting on the pitch despite clearly being a blue badge holder and unable to walk a few extra steps to the shop.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Taking into account the total number of goals combined by our strike force, I think they are breaking Trade Description laws.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here