Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] CLUSTER goals conceded

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Forgive me I don't have the stats and frankly on a Saturday night I can't be bothered to find them but it feels like for the first time in my Albion supporting times we are suffering from CLUSTER goals being conceded.

Over the years we have been rubbish and conceded a lot of goals but have we ever been so prone to letting in two goals close together so regularly? Considering how damn good we are it seems an odd phenomena. Could we maybe just switch of De Zerbi ball for five mins after conceding perhaps?

Stop the CLUSTER goals.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
It’s definitely a thing I had noticed before, but tbh anything vs city should be overlooked. The Liverpool ones were very annoying.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do we concede early away goals more than other teams?

When checking all PL games on Betfair or BBC, I see a load of nil-nil’s as cautious chess is played out. Then the almost inevitable Home team 1-0 Albion after 14 minutes.

Jimmy Grimble

Forgive me I don't have the stats and frankly on a Saturday night I can't be bothered to find them but it feels like for the first time in my Albion supporting times we are suffering from CLUSTER goals being conceded.

Over the years we have been rubbish and conceded a lot of goals but have we ever been so prone to letting in two goals close together so regularly? Considering how damn good we are it seems an odd phenomena. Could we maybe just switch of De Zerbi ball for five mins after conceding perhaps?

Stop the CLUSTER goals.
Yep. It’s happened 5 times this season already. The last 4 games and also against West Ham.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We are gifting them with our own misplaced passes. Stop that and things look rosier, trouble is with De Zerbi ball there will always be risks

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Stop the CLUSTER goals.
You’re right but it’s also a phenomena that has happened to Pep’s sides over the years.

It can happen to sides who are so totally reliant on strict systems and patterns of play dictated by the manager. When something goes wrong, they’re not always able to deal with it well straight away as individual players on the pitch and the system breaks down a bit. Journalist Jonathan Wilson who has done a lot of work on Pep over the years explained it a lot better than me in a couple of podcasts I listened to previously but I can’t find it written online anywhere.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
You’re right but it’s also a phenomena that has happened to Pep’s sides over the years.

It can happen to sides who are so totally reliant on strict systems and patterns of play dictated by the manager. When something goes wrong, they’re not always able to deal with it well straight away as individual players on the pitch and the system breaks down a bit. Journalist Jonathan Wilson who has done a lot of work on Pep over the years explained it a lot better than me in a couple of podcasts I listened to previously but I can’t find it written online anywhere.
I think you explained it well. Strict patterns of play are programmed, ingrained into the players. Changing that group thinking on the fly is very difficult IMO, and maybe not encouraged or even allowed by RDZ 🤔.

Jimmy Grimble

Cluster Claxon.

Ajax just scored 2 in 3 minutes.

Make that 3 in 10 minutes.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
When we concede early, we seem to struggle.

Letting in two early goals helps not at all.

el punal

Dull it cerainly ain't - but I do like the idea of switching off de Zerbi ball for five minutes after a goal (at either end).
In which case bring back Chris Hughton, have ten men behind the ball and play like we did against Wolves and Spurs (away) towards the end of 2018/19 season. That’ll get the juices flowing. :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In which case bring back Chris Hughton, have ten men behind the ball and play like we did against Wolves and Spurs (away) towards the end of 2018/19 season. That’ll get the juices flowing. :wink:
Do you believe there are only extremes then, with nothing in between? Strange - the idea that the only two ways to play football are de Zerbi ball and ten men behind the ball seems very out of touch with the reality of other alternatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here