Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clubs to Vote on VAR removal

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
In theory maybe, but the real world this does not always play out like this. We were also told making refs professional would improve standards but it didnt. I can only assume there is a cultural, training and/or procedural issue at play. Why is it that our european counterparts can impliment VAR way better than the EPL? This is not because they have better paid refs.
Because the standard of referees in the epl is way behind other countries. Increasing the pipeline will increase competition and increase standards.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
This is where, sooner or later, the game is going to come seriously unstuck.

A clearly offside attacker breaks clear. The lino cba to stick his flag up. Keeper comes out and collides with the (offside) attacker. One or both suffer very serious injury. And all because the lino didn't flag.

It's only a matter of time. There have been a couple of close calls already.
I agree with the main point about this situation being farcical, but I don’t really buy this injury argument. Players may get injured on the pitch during open play - whether or not it’s after an unflagged offside is irrelevant.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
How about a 60 second rule?

If no clear and obvious error is identified within one minute, it’s neither clear or obvious is it? If that’s the case, go with the referees original on field decision.

Fixed. Easy peasy!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The clear and obvious criterion is a ruse to allow VAR officials to support their mates by not overruling when they get a decision wrong. Employ refs who can see what is happening and are not biassed. Use VAR with competent officials to help refs make the correct decisions. Clear and obvious is a very subjective view.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
exactly this, this is lip service to the fans that is it, so they can turn round and say to the supporters, look we listened and tried, all the while knowing full well it won't go through, I mean it is a win, win for them.....

The PL didn’t voluntarily offer a vote. Wolves put forward the motion.

After thinking about this a lot, especially since the Chelsea game when we benefitted from VAR, I’ve decided we should keep it. Yes, the implementation is poor but we’ll only be swapping one complaint for another. Without VAR, we will simply return to the previous outrage at so many poor decisions being made by the on-field officials. The fact is that VAR gets most decisions right.

As many have said, the problem is how it’s used. It’s become far too forensic. If it takes 5 minutes to look at every possibility of a toenail offside then there is no clear and obvious error being made by the ref. Use it only for egregious errors.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Give each side 2 calls same as cricket if upheld they keep the call if not they lose it. After all, this was brought in to prevent howlers not mm calls for offside.
I think this could be how it works going forward, essentially we will have time outs and these “calls” can then be used by football teams strategically if they have them left, like when they are hanging onto a 1-0 lead away.

I’m out for that reason, but there’s got to be some way of artificially creating breaks in play otherwise the advertising revenues won’t hit their projections.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I probably dislike football more with VAR but it’ll be unwatchable if it’s taken away now. I just cbf with it.

Diving will be off the hook. The offside conversation will be even more frustrating. Off the ball incidents etc.

Keep it but make it work and employ competent officials. The Spurs v Liverpool incident exposed how untrained and stupid all these people are. Sounded like a stag do in an escape room. Pathetic.

The problem isn’t the tools but those were told to trust to use them. Cheating / shithousery / dark arts / being streetwise / needs to be checked.

On the whole VAR was great in the last World Cup. It can work.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Give each side 2 calls same as cricket if upheld they keep the call if not they lose it. After all, this was brought in to prevent howlers not mm calls for offside.
I have wondered why this system isnt used. It adds a bit of spice. But calls could be used for offside (and almost certainly would be) when goal is scored and then we are in toenail territory again, so not sure it solves that problem. Also difficult with confusion as to whether captain takes instructions from bench. In theory they may not be allowed to, but very difficult to implement.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I have wondered why this system isnt used. It adds a bit of spice. But calls could be used for offside (and almost certainly would be) when goal is scored and then we are in toenail territory again, so not sure it solves that problem. Also difficult with confusion as to whether captain takes instructions from bench. In theory they may not be allowed to, but very difficult to implement.
I like the idea in theory but like you, have reservations about the detail. For instance, what about offences spotted by VAR but missed by the players?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The more complex you make any system, the more likely it is to fail. VAR has forced more complex definitions of the laws of the game and hey presto, every decision becomes more complex. Bin VAR. Hand ball goes back to being ball to hand. Offside becomes the Wenger Law (only offside if clear gap between defender and attacker) and is judged by on pitch officials and not VAR. Football goes back to being a contact sport where contact does not mean a foul. Players must make a clear attempt to stay on their feet otherwise a foul can not be awarded. So no dragging feet to initiate contact and no swan dives. If a player makes a clear attempt to stay on their feet then ref will judge where contact significantly impacted their ability to play the ball normally. All laws to be reviewed with a view to simplifying the game. Things like don't stop the game for subs (unless injury sub). Only captains can talk to ref (booking for non compliance). Once a free kick is awarded, the team against whom the freekick is awarded can not touch the ball in any way until play restarts.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fans hate VAR. Broadcasters hate 'F*ck VAR' being broadcast loud and clear. What's not to hate? Expect it to be dropped or significantly modified next season, because it's currently stinking out the shop and besmirching the product

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Sub the ref if he makes two howlers in a game :smile:

Salisbury was so out of his depth/biased (take your pick) he should have been removed mid game.

University graduate nerds on VAR, not mates of the ref would also help

VAR will not be binned

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I have wondered why this system isnt used. It adds a bit of spice. But calls could be used for offside (and almost certainly would be) when goal is scored and then we are in toenail territory again,
Possibly but I doubt they would risk losing a call unless they were sure. Also it means unless there is a call fans can celebrate a goal. Maybe reduce it to one call, no way are you going to waste it.

Surreal really wanting to head us back to the awful days of very fallible refs. Pedro will certainly get less penalties

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Unfortunate timing as semi automatic offsides are happening next year, which might take one annoyance away. Then we can concentrate on the next annoyance!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here