[Football] Clubs to Vote on VAR removal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
VAR tonight has been our friend

- Lamptey (it's never a sending off) stays on, Resse James goes off (which was but wasn't either).
- Penalty overturned which was never a penalty.

Sometimes, it does what it is supposed to do which in this case was correcting a ref called Salisbury who should have had Chelsea as his surname.
But it also doesn’t AND kills the joy of scoring goals. That alone is the reason to get rid.

Reactions: T.G

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
But it also doesn’t AND kills the joy of scoring goals. That alone is the reason to get rid.

I'm a bad fan tonight and couldn't be arsed to to go (it's a 360 mile round trip in my defence). There's a big debate at the moment about Anthony Gordon getting fouled on Sky and I've watched it 3 or 4 times and I only saw the "obvious" foul on the 5th viewing. In the studio, Andy Cole isn't toeing the line about VAR, Rooney.doesnt know what he wants and they went for a break because that was the least course of resistance.

There's a way of making it better but the current methodology isn't it. That all said, I thought it made the game better for us today because it corrected a ref who otherwise could have worn a Chelsea shirt. I can't say I've felt that very often.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm a bad fan tonight and couldn't be arsed to to go (it's a 360 mile round trip in my defence). There's a big debate at the moment about Anthony Gordon getting fouled on Sky and I've watched it 3 or 4 times and I only saw the "obvious" foul on the 5th viewing. In the studio, Andy Cole isn't toeing the line about VAR, Rooney.doesnt know what he wants and they went for a break because that was the least course of resistance.

There's a way of making it better but the current methodology isn't it. That all said, I thought it made the game better for us today because it corrected a ref who otherwise could have worn a Chelsea shirt. I can't say I've felt that very often.
Too many seeking perfection and it doesn’t exist. never has and never can. Therefore let’s allow human errors on the pitch rather than replacing them with ones off it plus killing the golden moment when a goal is scored.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just when you think you’d get rid of it, Michael Salisbury turns up - the clown that was the VAR at Spurs last season. Incapable of making a correct decision without some help. In games like tonight, you appreciate how VAR has probably levelled the playing field slightly when you’re playing the ‘big’ clubs.

On balance, I’d still rather get shot of it though.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Ditch the passion-killing, referee-neutering shitshow until there is dedicated, real-time reporting technology that takes human beings out of the equation for yes/no decisions (goal/offside). Live with any other subjective errors even if they’re f***ing awful ones.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Even if 14 clubs vote to remove it the PL can override and simply keep it.
Really? It’s would be an exceptionally brave PL that went against the vote on this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just when you think you’d get rid of it, Michael Salisbury turns up - the clown that was the VAR at Spurs last season. Incapable of making a correct decision without some help. In games like tonight, you appreciate how VAR has probably levelled the playing field slightly when you’re playing the ‘big’ clubs.

On balance, I’d still rather get shot of it though.
Funnily enough, VAR helped us tonight, with No penalty, and a disallowed goal, both for Chelsea.

Even after that, get rid until our referees can handle it like the Euros and World Cup.
Howard Webb has been useless.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
They are using all this season’s VAR decisions to train a large learning model. By applying the power of generative AI they will be able to make the wrong decision pretty much instantaneously in future
They don't even need to show it all of the season's VAR decisions, they simply have to teach it which are the top 6 sides and to find in their favour

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Tonight was fun. Lamptey clearly took the ball and played it out for a goal kick yet the ref was on the complete blindside and couldn’t wait to give it - utter joke. Hate VAR though.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It would be great if fans of all Premier League clubs organised banners and decided on a set minute in the games on Sunday to all collectively chant for the removal of VAR.

PREMIER LEAGUE FANS SAY NO TO VAR!
Or, especially after watching the ref's performance today against Chelsea

"You're the reason, you're the reason that there's a need for VAR"

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
incorrect according to Alex Crook he did say there aren’t enough votes to get shot anyway so irrelevant really.
Incorrect. Heard crook and winter discuss it earlier. The vote doesn’t necessarily mean the PL will give it the green light.

But like you say unlikely that 13 will join wolves.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I like the concept of VAR, but its implementation / execution has been dreadful on so many occasions that its credibility has been undermined. And all the time we have referees like the guy tonight, you sadly need VAR to make up for their incompetence.

Absolutly this. Yes would like to get rid of VAR - Only if we sort out the level of incompetence of teh refs. Tonight being a prime example. Penatly that wasn't and James's red card that the ref didnt even give a yellow for before looking at it on the pitchside monitor. With the general level of incompetence of ref's, getting rid of VAR would be a mistake right now inho.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
To cut a long thread short, we all know that it’s inexplicable that anyone wants to keep VAR.

For this reason, you just know a majority will vote to retain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports