Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clubs to Vote on VAR removal

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Scrap it and make referees and Lino’s more accountable - suspension or downgrading for frequent poor performance.
The only other thing I’d do is have post match reviews whereby a panel can reduce or upgrade red and yellow cards, and identify serious foul play that wasn’t picked up at the time.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I personally don't think VAR itself is that bad but the way it's has been implemented in England in particular is atrocious. Some weeks it intervenes for very borderline penalties, some weeks it lets obvious ones go, obvious offsides can take forever, the absolute guess up on the lines they draw, absolutely no idea what is going on in the ground, the farce of the ref going to be the monitors.

They couldn't have done a worse job if they tried with the arrogance to not bother consulting sports that had already implemented it. Absolute amateur hour. It deserves to be binned.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Anyone want to change their opinion now? We were saved from another Salisbury disaster... by VAR.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As you were 🤣

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Football was never perfect . Fans don’t need perfect now the match day game has been ruined .
Bad decisions always been part of the game

F k VAR and sing it proud
There are bad decisions and there are biased bad decisions. We have way too many of both even with VAR.
Just look at our game so far today! The officiating is embarrassing for the level of the EPL.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Yes let's remove it. let's ignore the fact that the majority of wrong decisions have nothing to do with the technology but are all about the people (the same referees who we'll be giving the power back to) who use it. If Brexit wasn't enough we are now going to ignore the fact that again we are the only country who can't see what's staring us right in the face . Go on! I dare you! The rest of the world has only just stopped laughing at us. Let's give them a new one!
I don’t know whether to laugh or cry that you’re bringing up Brexit in this thread.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Any clear and obvious mistake can be referred to ref for review within 30 seconds. Over 30 seconds, on field decision remains.
Doesn’t work. The debate over whether the decision right or wrong will persist, which will maintain controversy. One person’s definition of clear and obvious will be another person’s not clear and obvious.

Kicking the can down the road for me, Clive.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Here's a cunning plan. How about we somehow radically improve the standard of the refereeing? Having watched quite a few European games lately the refs are so much better in terms of letting the game flow and not blowing up for the merest touch.

Here's a cunning plan. How about we somehow radically improve the standard of the refereeing? Having watched quite a few European games lately the refs are so much better in terms of letting the game flow and not blowing up for the merest touch.
They are probably as good as they are going to get. The game is just too complicated and quick for one guy in the middle and two at the side alone

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
For that to happen PGMOL would need to be admit that there is a serious problem in the stand of English refereeing .,. Which they won’t.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
VAR ***COULD*** be made to be a good thing. But I don't think that it will unfortunately.
Well they’ve had five years and there’s no sign yet. Nope. Get rid immediately. It’s been a disaster and ruins the game

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Get rid. Sure we will get the occasional bad decision but so what. At least we will know straight away what is going on and can celebrate goals after a quick glance at the Lino.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Keep it, it's part of the game now.....but FFS make a decision quicker. If it's that close you have to bring out the micrometer, then it's close enough to give a goal
But it’s not part of the game. It’s an unwelcome and intrusive bolt-on in just ten fixtures out of the hundreds of matches played up and down the country every week. And it’s utterly woeful, fundamentally flawed and massively unsuited to football.

Just bin it. They tried it, we’ve given it 5 years, it’s shit.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
VAR tonight has been our friend

- Lamptey (it's never a sending off) stays on, Resse James goes off (which was but wasn't either).
- Penalty overturned which was never a penalty.

Sometimes, it does what it is supposed to do which in this case was correcting a ref called Salisbury who should have had Chelsea as his surname.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The referees (like them or not) are part of this game of ours. The human factor is what makes it.

VAR has decreased the enjoyment of the game massively for me. I would love it to be sacked off completely. Offsides included.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here