Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clubs to Vote on VAR removal

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Only if the tech is good enough to get it right, unlike now
With all the money in the game, we should. Science has found a way to create warp drives that moves space around it. That we don't have the technology yet to do, To know when a ball is kicked and where a body part is in relation to another body part? Absolutely we do. We need to use it.

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Keep and use for obvious mistakes. That was what it was bought in for. VAR should probably only be used two or three times a season for each team. Should never be a part of every game.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Yes let's remove it. let's ignore the fact that the majority of wrong decisions have nothing to do with the technology but are all about the people (the same referees who we'll be giving the power back to) who use it. If Brexit wasn't enough we are now going to ignore the fact that again we are the only country who can't see what's staring us right in the face . Go on! I dare you! The rest of the world has only just stopped laughing at us. Let's give them a new one!
Golden Shoehorn Award of the day goes to...

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It would be great if fans of all Premier League clubs organised banners and decided on a set minute in the games on Sunday to all collectively chant for the removal of VAR.

PREMIER LEAGUE FANS SAY NO TO VAR!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Are there problems with VAR? Absolutely. 100%

Is the solution to throw out the baby with the bath water? That I'm less sure about.

Surely a better VAR would be better than no VAR at all? Not that I'm sure what exactly would make a better VAR. But as others have mentioned, we have technology. We should use it.

It definitely needs a complete and very careful rethink.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As long as...

When Albion lose to an offside goal, as in the player was offside but there wasn't a lot in it, folk don't start threads saying we were robbed. We weren't, it is nigh on impossible for a linesman to make a full judgement on ball from foot and marginal positioning of receipt of ball. So there will be loads of errors.

If folk can accept them as part of the game and not whinge then I'm all in for its removal.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It would be great if fans of all Premier League clubs organised banners and decided on a set minute in the games on Sunday to all collectively chant for the removal of VAR.

PREMIER LEAGUE FANS SAY NO TO VAR!
I can think of a shorter, more pithy and to the point chant that can already be heard around PL grounds most weeks......

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes let's remove it. let's ignore the fact that the majority of wrong decisions have nothing to do with the technology but are all about the people (the same referees who we'll be giving the power back to) who use it. If Brexit wasn't enough we are now going to ignore the fact that again we are the only country who can't see what's staring us right in the face . Go on! I dare you! The rest of the world has only just stopped laughing at us. Let's give them a new one!
Yeh, yeh, alright. All the people shouting for the end of VAR are Neanderthals that voted Brexit. Burn them! - let's have change after change in football - after all, change is good, change after change after change is known as 'progress'. Anything else is reactionary, backward looking ................... probably everything else that Brexiteers are supposed to be in favour of, eh?

BTW, 10 point deduction for bringing up Brexit on a football thread.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Keep it, it's part of the game now.....but FFS make a decision quicker. If it's that close you have to bring out the micrometer, then it's close enough to give a goal

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As long as...

When Albion lose to an offside goal, as in the player was offside but there wasn't a lot in it, folk don't start threads saying we were robbed. We weren't, it is nigh on impossible for a linesman to make a full judgement on ball from foot and marginal positioning of receipt of ball. So there will be loads of errors.

If folk can accept them as part of the game and not whinge them I'm all in for its removal.
Yes, agreed. Half the problem then was pundits (BBC and ITV) over-analysing the ref's decisions (with slow-mo) time and time again until we were all convinced there was a problem.

Well, they were right in a way - we do have a problem now!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Keep it, it's part of the game now.....but FFS make a decision quicker. If it's that close you have to bring out the micrometer, then it's close enough to give a goal
Bring in a ten second rule. A howler can be seen almost straight away - if it takes more than ten seconds, it isn't a howler.

(N.B. this suggestion doesn't in any way contradict my vote for VAR not only to be binned, but stomped into little pieces and force-fed down its proponents' throats!)

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
VAR ***COULD*** be made to be a good thing. But I don't think that it will unfortunately.
Correct. We need to improve the standard and neutrality of the officials more than anything. Remove VAR and we will be complaining of bad biased decisions. Keep VAR and we will company about bad biased decisions. Without better referees nothing changes.
Being angry at VAR is ignoring the real problem.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As long as...

If folk can accept them as part of the game and not whinge then I'm all in for its removal.
there will be errors. there will be moaning. but that will be moaning for the right reason, a mistake in the moment, rather than the outcome of 5 minutes analysis with hi-tech crayons.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Correct. We need to improve the standard and neutrality of the officials more than anything. Remove VAR and we will be complaining of bad biased decisions. Keep VAR and we will company about bad biased decisions. Without better referees nothing changes.
Being angry at VAR is ignoring the real problem.
Football was never perfect . Fans don’t need perfect now the match day game has been ruined .
Bad decisions always been part of the game

F k VAR and sing it proud

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Well done Wolves,how we didn't submit the same request after the Spurs away farce and V Palace when Estupinans goal was ruled out I've no idea I can't think of anything good about VAR apart from getting rid of it.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Well done Wolves,how we didn't submit the same request after the Spurs away farce and V Palace when Estupinans goal was ruled out I've no idea I can't think of anything good about VAR apart from getting rid of it.
I'm surprised Liverpool didn't after their legitimate goal was ruled out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here