Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clubs to Vote on VAR removal

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Poor stuff from Wolverhampton who have tabled the proposal.

IMG-20240515-WA0001.jpg

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'd only keep it for really obvious offenses (like Maradona's hand of god goal) but if it's not obvious within a few seconds, then it doesn't change the on field decision
Yes let's remove it. let's ignore the fact that the majority of wrong decisions have nothing to do with the technology but are all about the people (the same referees who we'll be giving the power back to) who use it. If Brexit wasn't enough we are now going to ignore the fact that again we are the only country who can't see what's staring us right in the face . Go on! I dare you! The rest of the world has only just stopped laughing at us. Let's give them a new one!
You are right that getting rid of it wouldn't solve the issues with poor officiating (and the clear bias that seems to exist towards certain clubs) which VAR has only managed to highlight

Sweden have just voted against introducing VAR, so why would the rest of the world be laughing at us for looking to scrap it? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/videos/c6pyp32n198o
Sweden has become the first country to refuse to use Video Assistant Referees following a fan revolt against its introduction. The president of the Swedish Football Association, Fredrik Reinfeldt, confirmed VAR would not be implemented in its competitions, having previously proclaimed the system “our future”.

Not sure why you feel the need to bring Brexit into this though (not wanting to derail this thread but this story is from today: UK's puffin protection laws at centre of post Brexit row https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce9rrpn955qo)

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Agree with pretty much every word of that
Me too … spot on.

Happy to have automated offsides if they are proven to work - but bin the other aspects of VAR which is still mostly subjective, hence all the rows we still have after VAR officials have spent ages making the wrong decision.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
i’m torn. struggle to get over that you can never truly celebrate goals like before, probably the biggest reason i’d want it gone, but at the end of the day you’d still be left with the same crap referees making the same crap decisions.

also think VAR has corrected some massive howlers since it’s been introduced, decisions that would generate as much controversy as VAR has.

i’d probably settle for it being changed, semi-automated offsides, no slow-motion replays, no freeze-frames and fundamentally making the audio conversation public for more accountability, which we’re moving towards anyway.

and above all else, consistency. settle on a proper handball definition, stop all this nonsense about only penalising pulling in the box if the attacker has the chance to play the ball. either give penalties for all of it or none of it. same for the use of VAR in the cup/EFL playoff finals. it’s fundamentally unfair that some games use it and some don’t

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Wolves are the club that has raised the issue hence the vote
PB will be raging at them, I wouldn't like to be their chairman at the next PL meeting, he's going to get lynched!

:lolol:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I prefer the immediacy of a goal going in and celebrating, to an anxious wait (sometimes for minutes) while VAR dick about examining everything that happened in the build up.

I’m pro some technology (e.g. goal line technology) and would welcome quick automated offside decisions, but VAR at present is an expensive shambles that negatively impacts the enjoyment of watching football.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The issue with VAR is the quality of the officials, who aren’t going to change so it’ll be the same appalling standard of refereeing. If they can’t use VAR then they shouldn’t be refereeing games. The only real winners are PGMOL as they’ll say we’ll have to live with any f*** ups as VAR didn’t work.

So in summary’ VAR failed because of the utter incompetence of PGMOL, who’ll carry on with the same level of incompetence as before’. Actually it’ll be worse than pre VAR as the standard is now much, much worse. The irony is that VAR was brought in to clean up the mess of shit refs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I prefer the immediacy of a goal going in and celebrating, to an anxious wait (sometimes for minutes) while VAR dick about examining everything that happened in the build up.

I’m pro some technology (e.g. goal line technology) and would welcome quick automated offside decisions, but VAR at present is an expensive shambles that negatively impacts the enjoyment of watching football.
goal line is technology done right. discreet and works, think there's been about 2 mistakes, both human error.

meanwhile VAR seems to make a mistake every week, gets in the way of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here