Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club statements today an insult to fans' intelligence

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Great idea BG, that's definitely going to attract decent players and a new manager.

So we should lie to the next manager about budgets and find ourselves in the same situation this time next year?

I think it is imperative that the new manager knows what he has to work with and that we are going to stick to FFP as closely as we can. This way we may get a manager who will stay for the long haul and not jump ship when we don't meet with his expectations.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm outraged that the club isn't airing its dirty washing in public.

That's the truth of it. It was a professional and timely communication about the resignation of our manager. The kind of professional approach I've come to expect from Bloom/Barber.

I'm hardly expecting them to release an expose on our transfer policy/wage structure!

Id rather private/personal issues remain private myself. We dont have a divine right to know everything and that happens with pretty much everything in life.

You should know this after last Summer, we dont open up on private issues and rightly so, unlike some other clubs.

who's a mug? im certainly curious, but the tone of your post suggests there *must* be a real reason that is being hidden. its angry, grieving responce to a loss: you basically want someone to blame. my point is only that as we dont know the "real reason", we dont know that there is someone to blame. could just be it wasnt working out.

and frankly from an awful lot of fans thats been the feeling for a long time. maybe thats the reason?

me, im just in quiet mourning, the club goes on.

You stated that the clubs announcements today were an insult to our intelligence, when you could, perhaps should, have written that you felt that the clubs statements today were an insult.

As for what I would 'need' to criticise them well, as usual, if facts are presented that I don't agree with, then I'll criticise them, and have done many, many times in the past, but I won't lay into them on the basis of speculation, thinly veiled witch hunting and the musings of people with either an agenda or some sort of anti club paranoia.

With the vitriol being spouted on this board this evening It makes you wonder if some people have ever heard the name Archer or Bellotti around these parts. Though I guess there were only 3 or 4 thousand of us back in those days whereas there are an additional 20 thousand now. Build a bonfire, Bloom out.

Just because you're upset there's no reason to assume that the vast majority of the 30,000 sensible fans share your hysteria.

This.
People seem to forget that this years 6th position is, what the joint second highest placed finish since we were relegated from the old First Division. It can't be all bad!!
I am not about to go nuclear on Bloom given what he has put into the club. All the suits below him report to him.
Yes I am saddened by Oscar's departure, and infuriated by the inept display yesterday, and I wish we could spend the money that QPR, Forest et al are wasting at the moment. But we are in a good place from an infrastructure perspective, and despite the budgetary restrictions, we will attract a top manager, let's hope we employ one.

I find it staggering that you think a professional football club would give anything other than the sort of statement they gave. I mean, what were you expecting - "Oscar has simply had enough of working with David Burke, isn't happy with the budget he's been given, had a first taste of next year's pies and spat it out and hated our new strip therefore we are glad to see the back of him and look forward to welcoming a new manager to work under the same conditions soon."
It's unrealistic, unprofessional and undignified. If they can't, for obvious reasons, tell the truth then a dignified "silence" is far better.

All of this.

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
The club are right to keep it behind closed doors....you and I have no divine right to see any dirty linen. Oscar has given his reasons...good luck Oscar,thanks for getting into the play-offs again.
How many of you truly know the details behind Poyets departure...?...looking at this board tonight we don't have to put up with p1ss taking by other clubs,we do that ourselves...remember fans shouting 'Attack,Attack,Attack'...seems a lot them meant our own players and mangament team...be nice to see some old fashioned support for the team...you know ...SUPPORT!

When I said it I meant the players and the management team for sure. But then I was also singing my heart out in the most embarrassing circumstances yesterday.

I think we have a right to know a bit more detail but I understand why that can't happen.

Overall I'm not sad to see him go but I am worried of what it signifies about our ambition. To be honest that's what I want clarity on.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Interesting reading Garcias letter to maccabi fans as he left them.

Home News FAREWELL MESSAGE FROM OSCAR GARCIA
FAREWELL MESSAGE FROM OSCAR GARCIA
22/05/2013 BY EDITORIAL TEAM

Writing this letter to you, with tears in my eyes, is not easy for me. But there is no other way for me to express to you what I feel in my heart.

Now that the 2012/13 season is over, I can easily say that this has been one of the most satisfying experiences of my sporting career. After winning the league and securing qualification for the Champions League qualifying rounds, I have decided to step down as head coach of the best football team in Israel.

Sometimes personal circumstances must take priority over professional considerations and as such I feel obliged to take this rather sudden decision. Nonetheless I feel this is the right moment for the club for me to step down, so as not to delay the preparations for next season and any decisions regarding players and the coaching staff.

At the moment, I do not know if I will be coaching any team next season. I realise this decision comes as a surprise to all of you, so please permit me to apologise in advance.

I can assure all of you that my original intention was not to leave Maccabi, especially after winning the title and building a team for which I have the highest expectations in the weeks and months to come.

I am absolutely certain that Maccabi Tel Aviv will qualify for the Champions League groups stage and will retain the league title next season. I am very proud to have initiated this project and hope the team and the club will continue along this successful path.

It has been a delight to be a part of this success. I arrived in Tel Aviv with a dream of working hard and driving the club to the stature they so richly deserve. Now I am leaving after having achieved some of my objectives, not only as a professional, but also as a person. After 10 years I have at last managed to turn a dream into reality.

Although I have only been here for one season, I would like to thank the people of Israel who welcomed me from the very beginning and who treated me with the greatest possible kindness and made my stay here a most perfect experience.

I would like to thank everyone who made my time here at Maccabi possible, in particular (sports director) Jordi (Cruyff) who showed faith in me as a friend. Appointing a lifelong friend as a coach is a genuine risk and I am so happy not to have let him down.

I would also like to thank (owner) Mitch (Goldhar) and (representative) Jack (Angelides), who put their trust in me before they even got to know me, without my even having had any experience as a professional head coach. I also extend my gratitude to the Maccabi staff and the club's employees who have come to be my family. They supported me as head coach and have turned this project into a reality.

I would like to thank the players for gifting me this experience and for allowing me to grow as a coach. The experience of living with them and working with them has been nothing short of spectacular.

I also want to thank the fans who supported me from the very start. It was their warmth and affection, in both good times and bad, that provided me with the most unforgettable moments. Words cannot possibly express all the joy they made me feel. It is in no small part because of these splendid and utterly devoted fans that Maccabi Tel Aviv have become the enormous club they are today.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who went out of their way to stand by me and make things so easy and pleasurable for me, with particular thanks to Shlomi. I am today a better coach and a better person thanks to all of you.

I will take with me all the wonderful experiences each and every one of you has shared with me, as well as the splendid moments we experienced and shared together.

I feel certain that this great club will enjoy many good years in future and I truly hope to return one day, whenever Maccabi Tel Aviv feel they will need me.

I say good-bye to all of you now, but never forget what I said at the Championship celebrations at Rabin Square: Deep down in my heart I feel, and will always feel, the glow of Maccabi yellow.

Go Maccabi!

Oscar Garcia

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Well here's an old-fashioned notion. Maybe telling the truth might actually help further down the track, and avoid what we appear to have (again) here which is a situation where expectations and promises can't be met. It might help secure the right candidate and character for the task and budget.

Oscar knew how much he had when he came, and also he knew it was a bit more than the previous season too, that bit was told to us by the club. I'd expect the new manager will be told how much he has too. So that's that sorted.

I don't think there is a reason why the fans, and indeed everyone else in the football world should know? Confidentiality is probably quite important, especially with the restrictions on financial dealings that exists in the game at the moment.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting reading Garcias letter to maccabi fans as he left them.

Home News FAREWELL MESSAGE FROM OSCAR GARCIA
FAREWELL MESSAGE FROM OSCAR GARCIA
22/05/2013 BY EDITORIAL TEAM

Writing this letter to you, with tears in my eyes, is not easy for me. But there is no other way for me to express to you what I feel in my heart.

Now that the 2012/13 season is over, I can easily say that this has been one of the most satisfying experiences of my sporting career. After winning the league and securing qualification for the Champions League qualifying rounds, I have decided to step down as head coach of the best football team in Israel.

Sometimes personal circumstances must take priority over professional considerations and as such I feel obliged to take this rather sudden decision. Nonetheless I feel this is the right moment for the club for me to step down, so as not to delay the preparations for next season and any decisions regarding players and the coaching staff.

At the moment, I do not know if I will be coaching any team next season. I realise this decision comes as a surprise to all of you, so please permit me to apologise in advance.

I can assure all of you that my original intention was not to leave Maccabi, especially after winning the title and building a team for which I have the highest expectations in the weeks and months to come.

I am absolutely certain that Maccabi Tel Aviv will qualify for the Champions League groups stage and will retain the league title next season. I am very proud to have initiated this project and hope the team and the club will continue along this successful path.

It has been a delight to be a part of this success. I arrived in Tel Aviv with a dream of working hard and driving the club to the stature they so richly deserve. Now I am leaving after having achieved some of my objectives, not only as a professional, but also as a person. After 10 years I have at last managed to turn a dream into reality.

Although I have only been here for one season, I would like to thank the people of Israel who welcomed me from the very beginning and who treated me with the greatest possible kindness and made my stay here a most perfect experience.

I would like to thank everyone who made my time here at Maccabi possible, in particular (sports director) Jordi (Cruyff) who showed faith in me as a friend. Appointing a lifelong friend as a coach is a genuine risk and I am so happy not to have let him down.

I would also like to thank (owner) Mitch (Goldhar) and (representative) Jack (Angelides), who put their trust in me before they even got to know me, without my even having had any experience as a professional head coach. I also extend my gratitude to the Maccabi staff and the club's employees who have come to be my family. They supported me as head coach and have turned this project into a reality.

I would like to thank the players for gifting me this experience and for allowing me to grow as a coach. The experience of living with them and working with them has been nothing short of spectacular.

I also want to thank the fans who supported me from the very start. It was their warmth and affection, in both good times and bad, that provided me with the most unforgettable moments. Words cannot possibly express all the joy they made me feel. It is in no small part because of these splendid and utterly devoted fans that Maccabi Tel Aviv have become the enormous club they are today.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who went out of their way to stand by me and make things so easy and pleasurable for me, with particular thanks to Shlomi. I am today a better coach and a better person thanks to all of you.

I will take with me all the wonderful experiences each and every one of you has shared with me, as well as the splendid moments we experienced and shared together.

I feel certain that this great club will enjoy many good years in future and I truly hope to return one day, whenever Maccabi Tel Aviv feel they will need me.

I say good-bye to all of you now, but never forget what I said at the Championship celebrations at Rabin Square: Deep down in my heart I feel, and will always feel, the glow of Maccabi yellow.

Go Maccabi!

Oscar Garcia

Cut and paste...*note to self, keep swapping Maccabi for Brighton*

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
He sounded at lot more heart felt in their one tbh. Clearly has a job nearly lined up, as he would have on the date of that letter last year.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The thing is, being bland and in house didn't do season ticket numbers much harm last time. Perhaps we will get a bit more information if it was obvious people actually felt they were being treated like mugs and didn't renew.

Personally I don't have any sort of opinion on the rights and wrongs of such bland white washing. I can understand why it's done and really don't care about it. Perhaps I will if the next manager turns out to be absolute toilet.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
but the difference is those anyone's are paying huge amounts
El Pres
something is drastically wrong and has been for ages (since before Gus went)
can you not see why people want to know

They want to know because they're nosy.

Drastically wrong? We've been in the playoffs two seasons on the trot, our budgets are around 8th-10th in the division, so I'd say no.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Grow up, you pompous bore.

No, attributing views to people they never expressed tops that poll. Pots and kettles, I'm afraid.

If all you're going to do is follow me around the board looking for things to disagree with, I'm sure you'll find them though. Probably takes a bigger man to act on the issue, rather than the axe to grind.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
but the difference is those anyone's are paying huge amounts
El Pres
something is drastically wrong and has been for ages (since before Gus went)
can you not see why people want to know

I wonder if you had a Marks and Spencers store card and spent £120 a month on it would that then give you the right to demand the store sell the fashion styles you liked ? But if enough people cut up their store cards and shopped elsewhere then the store might be keen to find out why. Until that time.......

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
To lose one manager in these circumstances may be seen as unfortunate, to lose two may be seen as careless?

True, but, at least we haven't reached the Blackburn/Portsmouth/Fulham rate of 2-3 managers a season..... this is manageable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't worry everyone, I'm sure BW will be here tomorrow to tell us that his source has told him all about it, but he can't possibly divulge anything.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
How can managers/fans moan about the lack of player budget when Burnley got to the premier league spending just 450k? It's to do more with the right signings rather than the amount of money you have spend.

They may have only spent 450k on transfers but their wage bill must be higher than ours. Aren't they still on parachute payments?

I agree with your main point though which is making the right signings.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
However, in 95/96/97 there were still a number of those in the crowd that blindly followed the board, they didn't boycott when the rest of us did, they didn't walk out when we walked out, so there really were only 3-4k of us who were carrying out the direct action that eventually saw those scum out and DK in.

Not entirely sure I agree with you here; there were a large number that wanted to purely support the players on the pitch and certain people who blindly refused to believe that anyone wanted to destroy their beloved club.

But back to the matter in hand of this thread I too am having a small amount of difficulty in swallowing the company line here. Just treat us like adults; we're not a PLC issuing financial statements that can hit investors in their pockets we're fans, fans that care. Given the history of our club and how it was nearly stolen from us by a board that lied I think it's only natural that we might become suspicious of more media wallpaper paste type announcements.

Front up and tell us it straight because if you can't even tell the fans the truth how are you going to convince another good/excellent manager to come here and believe what you've told them otherwise?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A chap at my work, who sat next to me most weeks for the past 8 months or so, never came back from his lunch last week. At 5pm the email went around announcing that he no longer works there and wishing him all the best in his future endeavours. We were all agog. My manager returned to her desk and i gave her a lasting and inquisitive stare. All she could say was that she wasn't able to say. We've texted the ex-colleague to find out what happened and have had no reply. I want to know what was found out about him to cause his ousting, but i don't have the right to and don't feel insulted that i am not considered an insider enough in my workplace to be told all secrets. It's annoying not knowing, but that's all really.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They may have only spent 450k on transfers but their wage bill must be higher than ours. Aren't they still on parachute payments?

I agree with your main point though which is making the right signings.

Wage bills for 2012/13

Albion £22 million
Burnley £15.6 million

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here