Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club shop in the centre of Brighton

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I don't think there's any doubt that a potential store in an area with footfall such as Churchill Square wouldn't lose money.

It's about the presence there and what it would do for the football club in the years to come.

If we get to the PL then surely it will be considered (probably has already to be honest).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How about a city centre club shop that also sells Piglets pies and drinks etc to cash in on the lunchtime food trade? Huge margins and a simple offering that will pull in customers.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Some interesting points - thank you.

I understand the commercial objectives but feel we are missing out a bit.

A standalone shop may not work at present but surely a concession would?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
There's currently a half-arsed attempt at a pop-up stall in Churchill Square. Pretty ridiculous IMHO that there's not a permanent shop in that high-turnover selling space, especially with so many vacant units. Even in the Withdean era we had a sort-of proper city centre shop. Selling stuff physically only at the Amex means you're only selling to the the converted, with increasingly limited returns obviously. Go to Munich or Prague, say, and you'll find proper club shops slap bang in the middle of town doing a roaring trade. Why not here? ???

Good idea. Perhaps just a small concession in Hollister. After all, they borrowed our seagull. It's the least that they could do.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you in prison? My being dragged through the crowded Arndale Centre in Eastbourne is an ongoing nightmare! I'd love us to have a home match everyday of the year..... This is the only excuse I'm permitted! :shrug:

I walked around the Arndale Centre this very day. There are some huge gaping holes of unoccupied premises. Where BHS used to be, next door to that, where Starbucks used to be, for instance.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Queens Road shop sold a very decent range of club merchandise AND allowed you to buy match tickets and have them printed on the spot. IMHO we should be offering at least the same level of service in the middle of town in the Amex era. Or did the club just get lazy? ???

Internet shopping wasn't anywhere as big then as it is now. Most high street retailers are struggling to cope because of it. High costs, lower sales and online competition have left to a big decline and is why units are empty in most towns and cities

Shopping habits have changed, and a lot less now travel into city centre shopping areas. Even fewer of those will want to buy from an Albion shop and those that do are more than likely already buying their things from the Amex store or buying online already.

Where are the extra sales and revenue to offset the costs of such a venture going to come from if you are only changing the place that sales are made?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I walked around the Arndale Centre this very day. There are some huge gaping holes of unoccupied premises. Where BHS used to be, next door to that, where Starbucks used to be, for instance.

That must be why they are in the process of building a huge extension to the centre. Starbucks have moved to the outside (still Arndale) whilst BHS went bust countrywide, courtesy of being bled by Philip Green and is currently being refurbished. Couldn't get a seat in 'Shades' today the place was steaming.
I think 'gaping holes' is a Sheffield Wednesday exaggeration! So I guess we'll need to disagree.
When one considers the almost indecent and humongous amount of money spent on everything footy today, would a loss of a few hundred quid (if things were really that bad) be such a disaster.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I find it amazing how the good folk of NSC (and 1901) can run the club better than Tony B, Paul B and co. The pop up shop appears to be doing well selling diaries, calendars, mugs and key rings in the weeks leading up to Christmas...........impulse buying, stocking fillers, last £10 present, etc. On line shopping does the rest, or the store at the Amex for match day sales and collections.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Aston Villa had a shop bang in the middle of the Christmas market area of New st ...Noticed this last sat

And a city centre shop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here