Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Club insensitivity re crimes of state of Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Why on earth would the club need to 'justify it's stance' on a subject it knows little or nothing about? BHA do not, should not, and will never have "a stance" on Israel because it is a football club FFS.

The club is also a business with millions in revenue coming from global television rights sales, if it’s not something they’ve thought about I think they should

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yeah, I was going to say something similar. This thread is actually all about Brighton and Hove Albion football club. The OP maintains that some of the pictures in the club's calendar are offensive, and everybody else disagrees with him. He's emailed PB and we're all awaiting the response. Looked at it from that angle there's no politics involved at all, indeed for the sake of argument I'll maintain that this thread has been wrongly tagged as 'politics', it should have been tagged as 'Albion' as it's all about the club. Nowhere have we discussed the relative Rights and Wrongs of the Palestinian situation, which we would have done if this had been a political thread.

So this thread wouldn't actually be in Bozza'a new Politics forum!

You’re right, it would be in his new everything else forum!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, no, no. NSC is like a virtual pub. When you go to the pub you don't have different areas for sport and politics do you ? It's hardly difficult NOT to open a political thread surely ?

Indeed. There's a tagging system. In fact If I'd opened this thread and found out it was all about the Albion calendar when I was expecting a political debate I'd be seriously disappointed!

SAC

May 21, 2014
Why on earth would the club need to 'justify it's stance' on a subject it knows little or nothing about? BHA do not, should not, and will never have "a stance" on Israel because it is a football club FFS.

I agree with your first sentence, in fact pretty much everyone does. I do think football clubs should have a stance on political matters otherwise they would be doing pre season tours of Israel or Myanmar and no club would be silly enough to do that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The club is also a business with millions in revenue coming from global television rights sales, if it’s not something they’ve thought about I think they should

Oh come ON.

By that logic, why stop there? Should there be some sort of nod to the fall of Saigon? The Easter Rising? The sinking of the Belgrano? The Peloponnesian Wars?

Come off it. I don't regard myself as completely ignorant, but I wasn't particularly aware the state of Israel was 80 years old this year, much less the actual date of its foundation, and nor- I would guess- will 95% of posters on here, as well as the British public as a whole. The O/P is- quite ludicrously- making this out to be a deliberate slight, somewhere equivalent on the offence scale to organising a giant Whitehall disco starting at 10am on Remembrance Sunday, with free bar and bouncy castle.

FFS: it's a calendar, produced for a UK company, containing pictures of footballers. There's no need to overthink it.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Oh come ON.

By that logic, why stop there? Should there be some sort of nod to the fall of Saigon? The Easter Rising? The sinking of the Belgrano? The Peloponnesian Wars?

Come off it. I don't regard myself as completely ignorant, but I wasn't particularly aware the state of Israel was 80 years old this year, much less the actual date of its foundation, and nor- I would guess- will 95% of posters on here, as well as the British public as a whole. The O/P is- quite ludicrously- making this out to be a deliberate slight, somewhere equivalent on the offence scale to organising a giant Whitehall disco starting at 10am on Remembrance Sunday, with free bar and bouncy castle.

FFS: it's a calendar, produced for a UK company, containing pictures of footballers. There's no need to overthink it.

That’s a fair point I do think some of the outrage on this calendar specifically is a bit over the top.

But more generally regarding the clubs correspondence and Israel I tho the club has a responsibility. We as fans are entitled to be ignorant, I know I certainly am on many things. I do personally think a million pound business has certain responsibilities. Just an opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That’s a fair point I do think some of the outrage on this calendar specifically is a bit over the top.

But more generally regarding the clubs correspondence and Israel I tho the club has a responsibility. We as fans are entitled to be ignorant, I know I certainly am on many things. I do personally think a million pound business has certain responsibilities. Just an opinion.

Says the poster possibly wearing Nike trainers, Next pants, M & S socks, a River Island t-shirt, and Levi jeans, while eating a McDonalds and drinking a coke.

Yes The Albion needs to take a hard look at it's responsibilities. :facepalm:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Shock horror someone gets offended on someone else's behalf

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Following the usual cul-de-sacs and irrelevancies it is usual for message boards to generate I hope this is my very final statement.
I am not sure what I am supposed to be fishing for
Nobody has once mentioned the central point of my argument - May 2018 is the 70th anniversary of the founding of the State Of Israel which started the brutal suppression of the indigenous Palestinian population.
A bad month to feature Israeli players regardless of their religious or ethnic background
It is all about the date!

Have there been any Palestinian's burning copies of our calendar on the news yet? :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] would now be a good time to finally launch a political/current affairs section to separate this sort of shit from football discussion?

Sincerely hope not. Many of us would go elsewhere for our fix. To take a current example, what's this thread, sport section or political/current affairs section?

Healthiest forum for debate ihmo is to leave the board exactly as is.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Time to draw a line under this one, and leave [MENTION=908]beadman[/MENTION] to liaise with the club, if he so chooses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here