Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Confirms Poyet Dismissal

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
In your reply to Acker79 you castigated him for saying that Bridcutt was a Lge 1 player. You can't have it both ways.

Eh!? Bridcutt is not a L1 player. From the moment he joined anyone could see that. And he got better, and better, and better. Credit to Gus AND Liam for that (and others no doubt).

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
The problem with trying to pin the whole issue on what happened at the end of the season is that this simply doesn't sit comfortably with the FACT that people were being told WEEKS earlier that Poyet's acrimonious departure was inevitable, irrespective of whether we achieved promotion.
Is was. And it started long before the end of the season. Around 6 months ago I am lead to believe. I think Poyet made that speech after the Palace game to cover his own back, and he knew long before then he wasn't going to be manager here next season. I think it was an attempt to try and make himself look like the good guy to other clubs, but it appears to have backfired in a major way.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Making a joyful return to NSC after a wonderful extended sabbatical in warmer climes, my first post ....wholeheartedly agree with BW when he says that Tony Bloom gave Gus his privileged position, and then paid him (and us I suppose) back by talk of having to look after himself following the palarse fiasco.
I wonder if Sky might be interested in a Tony Bloom versus Gus £2.5 million poker game ;)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Eh!? Bridcutt is not a L1 player. From the moment he joined anyone could see that. And he got better, and better, and better. Credit to Gus AND Liam for that (and others no doubt).

He was rejected by Watford after being on loan from Chelsea, rejected by Palace & a free agent in Auguat when Poyet got him to cover for Navarro. No other club wanted him at the time. Yes, credit to Poet, but he did start his career with a
Lge 1 club.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Barry Lloyd took us to the Championship (division 2) playoff final and Mike Bailey led us to 13th position in the Premier League (division 1)....doesn't that statistically factually speaking eclipse Poyet's achievements?

:)

No. Because you're boring. Bore off.

:down:

I like Gus. He smiles a lot. And waves his arms about. BAILEY never did that. Lloyd didn't either. Probably. So there.

Yes, he was. Arguably, he wasn't even that standard. He didn't get in the team straight away, he needed Navarro's injury to get signed and then Kish's family problem to establish himself. No doubt there was always a player there, but Gus made him. If you disagree as part of your agenda, no problem. You are welcome to your opinion, but I find it a bit of a shame to disregard what Poyet has achieved. He leaves a club totally transformed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. Because you're boring. Bore off.

:down:

I like Gus. He smiles a lot. And waves his arms about. BAILEY never did that. Lloyd didn't either. Probably. So there.

Yes, he was. Arguably, he wasn't even that standard. He didn't get in the team straight away, he needed Navarro's injury to get signed and then Kish's family problem to establish himself. No doubt there was always a player there, but Gus made him. If you disagree as part of your agenda, no problem. You are welcome to your opinion, but I find it a bit of a shame to disregard what Poyet has achieved. He leaves a club totally transformed.

But I haven't disregarded what Gus did for Liam, or the club as a whole!

However, despite the great things Gus did for our club, he has now shown his true self-serving self-centred unappreciative colours. Some seem unable to accept he has messed up a fantastic opportunity handed to him on a plate by Tony. More fool them, and Gus. Meanwhile, I'll continue to support the club, Tony, Oscar, and our players.

Frankly, I hope Gus decides against pursuing legal action, and that's for his sake, as well as our clubs. Trust me, if what I heard is true, he has very little chance of winning, and his reputation will plummet much further that it has already.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It is, however, a fact, that Gus was given more money by far than any manager in our history. Mullery got a lot, still less than Gus, and got us up to the top flight.

Gus chose to show zero appreciation for the privileged position his chairman put him in. He got the boot, and rightly so (I trust our chairman over Gus). He MET expectations by making the playoffs, no more, no less. You saying that, for example, Bridcutt is a L1 player is, frankly, ridiculous. And an insult to our best player (still at our club, unlike Motor Mouth).

I don't know how inflation would balance things out for gus/mullery comparisons, but they were different was, different footballing cultures. Also, what does that have to do with anything? I'm not disputing he was given more money than previous brighton managers, I'm saying that getting more money at a club than any previous manager doesn't mean you get more money than any other club. Why should gus see getting about 5m, more than any other manager in our history, as a reason to stay, if he sees, for instance, Blackburn spending 8m on a single player? My point is that it's a nice fact that he got more money than mullery, but what will be important for any manager is not what he got in comparison to people who started their stint with us five years after decimalisation of our currency, but what he gets in comparison to other managers right now.

But look at the resources at Wurzels disposal. Then look at those at Gus'. Tactically, Gus had an awful game in the 2nd leg. Just awful. He only had to play the same team that beat Palace a few months earlier. Be more positive. He didn't. The rest, as they say, is history. As I say, outsmarted.

Holloway had a 15m player from man utd, who, as it turned out, was the difference. That was somewhat tongue in cheek. I do not accept gus was outsmarted, not because of any great love for gus, but because of the way the games went. If games are fairly even, and a cross bar or fractionally off target shots stop one side scoring, and a lapse in attention from a defender lets a player score, it's not about the smartness of the managers.

What's your point.

Of the teams that had parachute payments, Wolves went down. Blackburn survived in the final week. Bolton ended up outside the payoffs. Hardly an endorsing argument is it.

Blackburn £8 on one player..... more fool them
Middlesbrough lower mid table. Hull promoted.

El-Ebd - back up
Greer - First team
Barnes - 5 starts since February
CMS - £2.5m sub
Calderon - Back up full back
Bridcutt - Give you that one
Lua Lua - 8 starts
Ankergren - 2 games
Big Pete - 1 game
Painter - 5 starts
Dicker - 12 starts
Dunk - 7 starts

and you are claiming that the core of the team are league one players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really. I think you may need to revisit that statement. Greer and Bridcutt I'll give you. But I'd hardly say the rest were the core of the team!!

That wolves went down, Blackburn barely survived and Bolton just missed out is irrelevant. They unquestionably under performed. If every team in the championship last year played to their potential, or to their pedigree, Bolton, wolves, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, would all have been up there. To suggest 4th place is barely achieving minimum expectation is the sort of arrogance many of our fans accuse Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, and others of and mock them for.

My league one players comment is meant that they were with us in league one and had to make the step up, plus cms who was with Peterborough before making the step up. Lualua was one I was hesitant to include, because technically he came down to us from the premier league, but he barely got game time there of any substance (an end of season nothing match). Two centre backs, two midfielders, and central striker, support full backs and a winger certainly make up a significant portion of the team.

One could also argue inexperience in England as a drawback for the likes of Bruno, Lopez and ulloa.

My point with the comments on the division and our players, again, is a) there is a certain arrogance in believing that we should have done better, b) some fans don't look at everything as a whole, that getting more money than any previous brighton manager isn't something that a manager with no particular allegiance to us (like with most players, the club is a job) will think of as a particular privilege, when others in the division have more money than us.

No, I'm not basing the budget comments on gus, I'm basing it on financial reports, newspaper coverage of reports, suggestions we have 5m budget this season, with barber suggesting it is in keeping with last season, etc.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The problem with trying to pin the whole issue on what happened at the end of the season is that this simply doesn't sit comfortably with the FACT that people were being told WEEKS earlier that Poyet's acrimonious departure was inevitable, irrespective of whether we achieved promotion.

After the Reading meeting and JUST before the 2nd Palace game and we might be getting closer as to what tipped the balance.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Some people seem desperately keen to be looking for reasons to dislike the man. There's a lot of nonsense being written here - it's not as if these anecdotes warranted a 10 page binfest on here at the time is it?

I might be in the minority but I really am not sure I want to know what caused this rift, as either I'm going to end up being embarrassed by the conduct of the club I support, or I'm going to end up disliking one of the finest managers we've ever had here. I'd rather just wish the bloke well, thanks for some fantastic memories Gus. And now lets watch Oscar ruddy well win us the title.

100% this

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
That wolves went down, Blackburn barely survived and Bolton just missed out is irrelevant. They unquestionably under performed. If every team in the championship last year played to their potential, or to their pedigree, Bolton, wolves, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, would all have been up there. To suggest 4th place is barely achieving minimum expectation is the sort of arrogance many of our fans accuse Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, and others of and mock them for.

My league one players comment is meant that they were with us in league one and had to make the step up, plus cms who was with Peterborough before making the step up. Lualua was one I was hesitant to include, because technically he came down to us from the premier league, but he barely got game time there of any substance (an end of season nothing match). Two centre backs, two midfielders, and central striker, support full backs and a winger certainly make up a significant portion of the team.

One could also argue inexperience in England as a drawback for the likes of Bruno, Lopez and ulloa.

My point with the comments on the division and our players, again, is a) there is a certain arrogance in believing that we should have done better, b) some fans don't look at everything as a whole, that getting more money than any previous brighton manager isn't something that a manager with no particular allegiance to us (like with most players, the club is a job) will think of as a particular privilege, when others in the division have more money than us.

No, I'm not basing the budget comments on gus, I'm basing it on financial reports, newspaper coverage of reports, suggestions we have 5m budget this season, with barber suggesting it is in keeping with last season, etc.
That Wolves went down, and Blackburn barely survived is completely revalant!! Also proves your comments are very misleading. As I have said before, using the term budget is misleading. I agree our "budget" was probably mid table.... our spending power was most certainly not. Because Wolves had a bigger budget, didn't mean they could compete with us in the transfer market. Most of that budget was taken up by overpaid Premiership contracts, that they couldn't get rid off. I get fed up hearing about budgets. Its such a misleading term.

Your point about the league one players being the core of the team is also so misleading its laughable. They did not make up a significant portion of the team or the teams core.

If you are looking for the core of the team try, Kuszazak, Bruno, Greer, Calderon (due to Bruno injury) Upson, Bridge, Hammond, Spanish Dave, Orlandi, Ulloa, Buckley. A very very different list of players you claimed were the core of the team. Of the "league one players" Bridcutt is premiership class, Greer was in the last Scotland squad, and Calderon was covering an injured player. How can you seriously even begin to say the core of our side was league one players who made the step up!!

We missed out on promotion last season, by ONE game. If we beat Hull in the opening game, we would have finished above them. Take into account we failed to do the double over any of the bottom five last season, and there is your reason for us spending another season in this division. I fail to see how it is arrogance in believing we should of done better when you take that into account.

Gus Poyet cared for one thing, and one thing alone. Gus Poyet.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
After the Reading meeting and JUST before the 2nd Palace game and we might be getting closer as to what tipped the balance.
It all went tits up, way before the Reading saga or play off games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That Wolves went down, and Blackburn barely survived is completely revalant!! Also proves your comments are very misleading. As I have said before, using the term budget is misleading. I agree our "budget" was probably mid table.... our spending power was most certainly not. Because Wolves had a bigger budget, didn't mean they could compete with us in the transfer market. Most of that budget was taken up by overpaid Premiership contracts, that they couldn't get rid off. I get fed up hearing about budgets. Its such a misleading term.

Your point about the league one players being the core of the team is also so misleading its laughable. They did not make up a significant portion of the team or the teams core.

If you are looking for the core of the team try, Kuszazak, Bruno, Greer, Calderon (due to Bruno injury) Upson, Bridge, Hammond, Spanish Dave, Orlandi, Ulloa, Buckley. A very very different list of players you claimed were the core of the team. Of the "league one players" Bridcutt is premiership class, Greer was in the last Scotland squad, and Calderon was covering an injured player. How can you seriously even begin to say the core of our side was league one players who made the step up!!

We missed out on promotion last season, by ONE game. If we beat Hull in the opening game, we would have finished above them. Take into account we failed to do the double over any of the bottom five last season, and there is your reason for us spending another season in this division. I fail to see how it is arrogance in believing we should of done better when you take that into account.

Gus Poyet cared for one thing, and one thing alone. Gus Poyet.

Greer was taken from League 1 Swindon and brought on to Championship standard by Poyet, as was Calderon & Bridcutt. Bridge came here because he has the same agent as Poyet. Yes, he's ambitious but that ambition got us where we are now. He was good for the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any of you in the know care to PM me with what you believe actually happened?? :smile:

Really intrigued with the comments that this all started rolling months ago. I remember thinking Poyet's comments about "this would be a good time to leave" after the St Patrick's day massacre were extremely bizarre.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Greer was taken from League 1 Swindon and brought on to Championship standard by Poyet, as was Calderon & Bridcutt. Bridge came here because he has the same agent as Poyet. Yes, he's ambitious but that ambition got us where we are now. He was good for the team.

Without getting into all the other arguments, it is ridiculous to describe players ability by where they started their career.

As I recall, though it may have changed since I worked in the UK, the appeal process in employment law cases is firstly to an IT. If the appellant loses at IT he/she can then appeal to an Employment Appeal Tribunal, but only on a point of law. Thereafter the case can go to the Court of Appeal, then to the House of Lords and then to the European Court. Total time? 5+ years and excruciating lawyers fees. Alternatively the case can go to the civil courts on a Wrongful Dismissal claim.
Spot on and if he takes the matter further it will almost certainly be the latter option.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Any of you in the know care to PM me with what you believe actually happened?? :smile:

Really intrigued with the comments that this all started rolling months ago. I remember thinking Poyet's comments about "this would be a good time to leave" after the St Patrick's day massacre were extremely bizarre.

Likewise, I promise to keep it a secret.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here