Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Confirms Poyet Dismissal

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And there was me thinking Wurzel had outsmarted Poyet and then Zola. Come on.... Credit where credit is due.

I didn't see the final. So have no idea if he outsmarted Zola. But when you're win is because your opponents missed chances not because you ran the match, or because you tactically gave your opponents no chance, then it is not about outsmarting the opposition.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, but despite several tams having parachute payments to reinforce their teams, despite the investment at Cardiff. The 8m on one player at Blackburn, the established promotion chasing of hull and Middlesbrough, the loan shenanigans of Watford, and the fact el abd, Greer, bridcutt, Barnes, cms, Calderon, lualua really, back ups ankergren, brezovan, painter, dicker, dunk (all of whom got some game time) as the core of our team were all league one players, we totally should have walked the division. Gus held us back, damnit. If we had any other manager we'd be enjoying champions league football because we gave our manager more money than any owner has given any manager ever in the history of football*

*well, at our club. Other clubs' budgets still outshone ours, but that's too big a picture to look at for some.

It is, however, a fact, that Gus was given more money by far than any manager in our history. Mullery got a lot, still less than Gus, and got us up to the top flight.

Gus chose to show zero appreciation for the privileged position his chairman put him in. He got the boot, and rightly so (I trust our chairman over Gus). He MET expectations by making the playoffs, no more, no less. You saying that, for example, Bridcutt is a L1 player is, frankly, ridiculous. And an insult to our best player (still at our club, unlike Motor Mouth).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Gus wasn't "outsmarted". Zaha turned up in the second half and justified himself. That is football. Palace had Speroni to thank for being in the tie, but Zaha got it done.

Gus Poyet did the best job of any Brighton manager since Alan Mullery, first time. Statistical fact, and that is how I will remember him. With fondness, affection and respect. He deserves all three.

... and now the next chapter. Oscar Garcia, the floor is yours.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Agreed. Just behind Mullers. Great job as a manager. Awful job with the press.
both wore their hearts on their sleeves just that one of them had that little more guile than the other

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Gus wasn't "outsmarted". Zaha turned up in the second half and justified himself. That is football. Palace had Speroni to thank for being in the tie, but Zaha got it done.

Gus Poyet did the best job of any Brighton manager since Alan Mullery, first time. Statistical fact, and that is how I will remember him. With fondness, affection and respect. He deserves all three.

yep thats about it in a nutshell

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Outsmarted? No. We were unfortunate not to lead after the first leg, that we didn't is more to luck/individual players than to either manager - Hammond wasting/being unfortunate with a couple of chances. The second leg was an even match that, like with our record last season, was likely to go with whoever scored first, something we could have done if not for Barnes/speroni/other defender on the line.

Neither manager outsmarted the other, to suggest otherwise is to, er, rewrite history.

But look at the resources at Wurzels disposal. Then look at those at Gus'. Tactically, Gus had an awful game in the 2nd leg. Just awful. He only had to play the same team that beat Palace a few months earlier. Be more positive. He didn't. The rest, as they say, is history. As I say, outsmarted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is, however, a fact, that Gus was given more money by far than any manager in our history. Mullery got a lot, still less than Gus, and got us up to the top flight.

Gus chose to show zero appreciation for the privileged position his chairman put him in. He got the boot, and rightly so (I trust our chairman over Gus). He MET expectations by making the playoffs, no more, no less. You saying that, for example, Bridcutt is a L1 player is, frankly, ridiculous. And an insult to our best player (still at our club, unlike Motor Mouth).

Who coached Liam Bridcutt from a Lge 1 player, who had been rejected by Palace? Who gave him the chance?

Your patronising post wasn't deserved at all. Other people are entitled to differing opinions, whether they are right or wrong.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011

How much did mullery get in current amounts when adjusted for inflation?

The point I understood from ackers post regarding the league 1 players is they were just that when they were signed or else they'd have been playing higher. Bridcutt is surely an example of a player some other clubs didn't want however is now highly sought after. Is that purely down to the player reaching his potential all by himself or may the manager have something to do with it?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And there was me thinking Wurzel had outsmarted Poyet and then Zola. Come on.... Credit where credit is due.

Couldn't agree more. The final was like a carbon copy of the 2nd leg in our semi, with Watford taking the role of Brighton. TBH Zola has less excuse than Gus. He should have learnt a lesson from our game.

That would be a very one-sided pro-Gus interpretation, especially in the context of Gus' earlier public pronouncements. I'm surprised at you, LB.

The problem with trying to pin the whole issue on what happened at the end of the season is that this simply doesn't sit comfortably with the FACT that people were being told WEEKS earlier that Poyet's acrimonious departure was inevitable, irrespective of whether we achieved promotion.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Just a shot at the Prem. No, didn't mean much at all!

I didn't say the match didn't mean much, I meant your point about managers being "outsmarted" by others in one off games. It happens all the time. Are Stevenage better than Newcastle? Are Wrexham better than arsenal? What about cloughie losing to Walton and hersham against us?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Who coached Liam Bridcutt from a Lge 1 player, who had been rejected by Palace? Who gave him the chance?

Your patronising post wasn't deserved at all. Other people are entitled to differing opinions, whether they are right or wrong.

And if you bothered to read my posts, you would realise that I ALWAYS say Gus was a good (not great) manager. Just awful with the press. And, yes, that includes developing many of our players, such as Bridcutt.

Well, it is my opinion that the ZZZZ post got a deserved response from me.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How much did mullery get in current amounts when adjusted for inflation?

The point I understood from ackers post regarding the league 1 players is they were just that when they were signed or else they'd have been playing higher. Bridcutt is surely an example of a player some other clubs didn't want however is now highly sought after. Is that purely down to the player reaching his potential all by himself or may the manager have something to do with it?

Very difficult to compare different eras, but Mullery's achievement is greater IMHO.

I give credit to Gus for Bridcutt's (and other player's) development in above post.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And if you bothered to read my posts, you would realise that I ALWAYS say Gus was a good (not great) manager. Just awful with the press. And, yes, that includes developing many of our players, such as Bridcutt.

Well, it is my opinion that the ZZZZ post got a deserved response from me.

In your reply to Acker79 you castigated him for saying that Bridcutt was a Lge 1 player. You can't have it both ways.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The problem with trying to pin the whole issue on what happened at the end of the season is that this simply doesn't sit comfortably with the FACT that people were being told WEEKS earlier that Poyet's acrimonious departure was inevitable, irrespective of whether we achieved promotion.

I know it wasn't his post-Palace comments that caused Gus' exit, but his comments were, nevertheless, well you know what I think about what he said that night!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't say the match didn't mean much, I meant your point about managers being "outsmarted" by others in one off games. It happens all the time. Are Stevenage better than Newcastle? Are Wrexham better than arsenal? What about cloughie losing to Walton and hersham against us?

Oh I see. Sorry, misunderstood.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012

Barry Lloyd took us to the Championship (division 2) playoff final and Mike Bailey led us to 13th position in the Premier League (division 1)....doesn't that statistically factually speaking eclipse Poyet's achievements?

:)

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Yeah, but despite several tams having parachute payments to reinforce their teams, despite the investment at Cardiff. The 8m on one player at Blackburn, the established promotion chasing of hull and Middlesbrough, the loan shenanigans of Watford, and the fact el abd, Greer, bridcutt, Barnes, cms, Calderon, lualua really, back ups ankergren, brezovan, painter, dicker, dunk (all of whom got some game time) as the core of our team were all league one players, we totally should have walked the division. Gus held us back, damnit. If we had any other manager we'd be enjoying champions league football because we gave our manager more money than any owner has given any manager ever in the history of football*

*well, at our club. Other clubs' budgets still outshone ours, but that's too big a picture to look at for some.
What's your point.

Of the teams that had parachute payments, Wolves went down. Blackburn survived in the final week. Bolton ended up outside the payoffs. Hardly an endorsing argument is it.

Blackburn £8 on one player..... more fool them
Middlesbrough lower mid table. Hull promoted.

El-Ebd - back up
Greer - First team
Barnes - 5 starts since February
CMS - £2.5m sub
Calderon - Back up full back
Bridcutt - Give you that one
Lua Lua - 8 starts
Ankergren - 2 games
Big Pete - 1 game
Painter - 5 starts
Dicker - 12 starts
Dunk - 7 starts

and you are claiming that the core of the team are league one players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really. I think you may need to revisit that statement. Greer and Bridcutt I'll give you. But I'd hardly say the rest were the core of the team!!

I think if you are still taken in my Gus' use of the term "budget" (coincidently a big factor in why he is no longer with us) , and can't see beyond that to spending power, I think it is you who has an issue with seeing the bigger picture.

I know you don't like having anything said against Poyet, but I think you need to try harder than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here