Club Confirms Poyet Dismissal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Really, so do you think Gus exceeded expectations or met them. Personally, I think he met them. Well, met the minimum expectation of achieving the playoffs. A great manager would have made top 2 with the squad he had. Over to you for your thoughts.

I'm not sure whys that's relevant here as my original point was talking about hindsight is easy to see where things could have been better but to answer your question he achieved what I hoped for with 4th (6th and above was my aim) and then if you're in the playoffs it's a lottery. Who knows what another manager would have done, yes he was backed but players very rarely join a team and start firing straight away. Several key players didn't start playing to the best of their abilities until January onwards.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have already sold more season tickets than last year. Some on here are concerned about the club's reputation if things come out. Pfui! All that matters is the desire of us lot to turn up, and decent players to want to come to our club. GP can sue for unfair dismissal. I bet he doesn't. If he does, Tony has decided the odds, and the risk is worth it. And he can pay his gambler's debt if he loses. I'm not worried. I'm looking forward to the season. Time to move on.

Time to move on indeed. Really can't see Gus taking it as far the public courtroom.

I hope his legal / LMA advice is to draw a line under it and not fill up his CV with further details.

Best case for all is if he gets another job as soon as possible, and moves on.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The squad he had at the end of the campaign COULD have got us promotion if we had that squad all along.

To say, with certainty, that we should have been promoted with the team he had is ridiculous.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We need to forget about Gus now he is history ... lets now all get on the new bus named Garcia

I couldn't agree more. We have a lot to be grateful to Gus for but equally the club did a lot for him too.Let's just try to move forwards now. No one player or manager is ever bigger than the club, however much they may think they are.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Albeit misleading inaccurate scenarios?

More inaccurate than a lot of the other stuff on here? Besides how are they misleading, all they suggest is there is another side to arguments of which there always is. I think you need to get out of black and white world and realise its mostly grey

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
4th. Good point. 2nd was possible with the squad he had, and Gus' was outsmarted by Wurzel in the play-off semi. But just gloss over that.

just that at that time the wurzel did out think Gus
so
4th
best for 30 years
not that bad is it
and a legacy to carry on with ................with a new manager

and at this moment in time Gus slips in just behind Mullers

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had someone bleating on to me about how Gus was this and that and after his tirade I said just one thing

4th

Yeah, but despite several tams having parachute payments to reinforce their teams, despite the investment at Cardiff. The 8m on one player at Blackburn, the established promotion chasing of hull and Middlesbrough, the loan shenanigans of Watford, and the fact el abd, Greer, bridcutt, Barnes, cms, Calderon, lualua really, back ups ankergren, brezovan, painter, dicker, dunk (all of whom got some game time) as the core of our team were all league one players, we totally should have walked the division. Gus held us back, damnit. If we had any other manager we'd be enjoying champions league football because we gave our manager more money than any owner has given any manager ever in the history of football*

*well, at our club. Other clubs' budgets still outshone ours, but that's too big a picture to look at for some.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The target for last season was to get into the play off's, this was achieved. Obviously the sacking of Gus had nothing to do with the position in which we finished, so it is what has happened off the pitch.
The target for this season is also the play off's, and automatic promotion a definite bonus.
It has always been a 5 year plan, this season is year 4.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
4th. Good point. 2nd was possible with the squad he had, and Gus' was outsmarted by Wurzel in the play-off semi. But just gloss over that.

Outsmarted? No. We were unfortunate not to lead after the first leg, that we didn't is more to luck/individual players than to either manager - Hammond wasting/being unfortunate with a couple of chances. The second leg was an even match that, like with our record last season, was likely to go with whoever scored first, something we could have done if not for Barnes/speroni/other defender on the line.

Neither manager outsmarted the other, to suggest otherwise is to, er, rewrite history.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure whys that's relevant here as my original point was talking about hindsight is easy to see where things could have been better but to answer your question he achieved what I hoped for with 4th (6th and above was my aim) and then if you're in the playoffs it's a lottery. Who knows what another manager would have done, yes he was backed but players very rarely join a team and start firing straight away. Several key players didn't start playing to the best of their abilities until January onwards.

Fair enough. There is no doubt the playoffs are a lottery.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The squad he had at the end of the campaign COULD have got us promotion if we had that squad all along.

To say, with certainty, that we should have been promoted with the team he had is ridiculous.

Noone said with certainty, did they?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
just that at that time the wurzel did out think Gus
so
4th
best for 30 years
not that bad is it
and a legacy to carry on with ................with a new manager

and at this moment in time Gus slips in just behind Mullers

Agreed. Just behind Mullers. Great job as a manager. Awful job with the press.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Outsmarted? No. We were unfortunate not to lead after the first leg, that we didn't is more to luck/individual players than to either manager - Hammond wasting/being unfortunate with a couple of chances. The second leg was an even match that, like with our record last season, was likely to go with whoever scored first, something we could have done if not for Barnes/speroni/other defender on the line.

Neither manager outsmarted the other, to suggest otherwise is to, er, rewrite history.

And there was me thinking Wurzel had outsmarted Poyet and then Zola. Come on.... Credit where credit is due.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports