Club Confirms Poyet Dismissal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Presumably, although there is the possibility that the latter could be heard before the former and the tribunal be abandoned if Gus is satisfied with his payout or whatever happens.

Fair point. It could be a very interesting time for the greater good of football.

As gus was in effect on a fixed contract, I suspect that he won't go anywhere near a tribunal. This is a contract law matter in my view

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
An interpretation of those words could be that he was complaining that the Club's ambitions were lower than his - but he was being held back by the actions and decisions of others.

thats how i saw it...and those who dislike/like poyet will interpret it one way or the other to back up there argument

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It felt like a kick in the guts to me. Losing our shot at the PL and a veiled threat by the best manager (in my supporting lifetime) walking out on us on the same night was crappy. I haven't got a clue why he was sacked, but he lost me after that interview.

I have a lot of sympathy for this view. I tweeted the next day it was like leaving a funeral and then being told by your girlfriend she was dumping you for being poorly endowed

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I have a lot of sympathy for this view. I tweeted the next day it was like leaving a funeral and then being told by your girlfriend she was dumping you for being poorly endowed

I can't imagine what that would be like but I do know I went off Gus completely that night. I had always suspected he wasn't a very nice guy in the first place and that was too much.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
read this brighton fans from the League Managers Association website

16 Jul 2013
LMA STATEMENT ISSUED REGARDING GUS POYET

The LMA has issued the following statement regarding Gus Poyet, further to Brighton & Hove Albion FC failing to uphold his appeal against dismissal.

LMA chief executive Richard Bevan said, “I am really very surprised that the Club has made the decision to dispense with the services of such an outstanding football manager as Gus Poyet.

“Gus has an excellent record of success with the Club, as can be seen from the statistics set out below. We have every faith in Gus’s integrity and have been impressed with the manner in which he has conducted himself during what, for him, has been an extremely difficult period.

“We have supported Gus throughout the disciplinary process and will continue to do so as required. We do not consider that the charges against him amounted to gross misconduct. Gus will now reflect on the outcome and discuss options with the legal team. It would, therefore, not be appropriate to make any further comment at this time”.

Gus Poyet stats:
• At the time of his departure Poyet was the 6th longest serving manager in English football.
• Poyet joined Brighton in November 2009 with the Club in a relegation battle in League One - they were in the relegation zone.
• He achieved promotion and a league title in his first full season as a manager.
• He was later recognised by his peers in the division, as the managers of League One voted him as the Manager of the Year for 2011.
• In 2011/12, Poyet won the Football Managers Outstanding Managerial Achievement Award at the Football League Awards.
• He enjoyed an excellent first season in the nPower Championship, achieving a 10th place finish.
• In 2012/13, he guided Brighton to the play-offs after finishing 4th in the Championship.
• Their fourth place this year is the Club's highest finish since 1983 - ie in 30 years.
• He has won 3 Manager of the Month awards during his time in charge.
• Also during his time in charge, the Club moved into the new Amex Stadium - at a cost of £93 million.
• His overall record with Brighton stands as follows:
o Played 194
o Won 86
o Drawn 59
o Lost 49
o Win ratio - 44.3%

Gus Poyet

An unprofessional statement that verges on the irrelevant. Totally pointeless

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If Bloom wants to take this all the way to court, then the negative publicity for the club will be substantial - as long as that's factored into the calculation.

Why? Only if the club are on shaky ground, surely? Bloom is far too smart for that to be the case. Oh, and welcome back LI.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
An interpretation of those words could be that he was complaining that the Club's ambitions were lower than his - but he was being held back by the actions and decisions of others.

And if you accept that interpretation its impossible to feel anything but disgust towards a man who had been backed to bring in two £2m+ strikers, two full backs with champs league experience, an ex England CB, a Champs League and premier league winning GK, TWO Championship winning and one Europa cup finalist midfielders, and TWO top class wingers.

Seconds after losing to a team that cost buttons in a play off. Good riddance Poyet, shame on you.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Gus Poyet today accused Brighton and Hove Albion of a lack of “respect”...erm pot/kettle Mr Poyet. How much respect were you showing Mr Bloom when you tried to court Chelsea, Spurs, Leeds and anyone else who took your fancy? How would you have liked if we had played Leeds and Tony Bloom had said "Brian McDermott is a fantastic manager and I'd love him to be the manager here one day"?

So long, it's sad that it ended this way but I get the feeling this was entirely of your making.

No mention of Fulham there ?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
And if you accept that interpretation its impossible to feel anything but disgust towards a man who had been backed to bring in two £2m+ strikers, two full backs with champs league experience, an ex England CB, a Champs League and premier league winning GK, TWO Championship winning and one Europa cup finalist midfielders, and TWO top class wingers.

Seconds after losing to a team that cost buttons in a play off. Good riddance Poyet, shame on you.

Ain't them the truths.

He had all resources at his disposal, all the backing a manager could want. He just didn't have the nous to take us over the line. It's laughable for him to have come out now and said that we haven't shown him respect, when, moments after when the team needed a leader the most, he was busy running his mouth in front of the cameras asking if we'd hit the roof and implying his ambitions weren't being matched by the club.

Last edited:

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
i lost all respect and interest in him post Palace loss... We all needed a " we've done we'll, I'm gutted, try again next year, and thanks to TB, Fans etc...."

However we got the GP show, that hurt especially after the defeat, and then as a result our club is made to look TINPOT and Palace loved every second of it.... Yup thanks Gus really appreciated that...

Similar to previous persons comments re funerals and being dumped...far from good timing and very insensitive..

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
for those who don't care for poyet no matter what was said in that interview it wouldn't be enough to appease there appetite for criticism ...personally i don't see anything controversial and he seemed quite complimentary about the supporters...something else that people have criticised him about

Unbelievable. Gus' total lack of respect (and appreciation) for our club, its chairman, its board, its staff, players and fans came shining through in his post-Palace comments, and this wasn't his first show of lack of respect. What a hypocrite he is!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I think you asked this once before. I did have it on virgin TiVo but don't now. I have tried to recall it but can't now. I did watch it once but couldn't recall anything on it that may have given a clue to any disciplinary other than his apologising to Ian holloway ahead of the game

Thank you ROSM, i will keep trying to find a copy and i appreciate your efforts. I need to scratch an itch; apparently the clue might be with who isn't present around half time and not who is. Watching it is the only way i can think of for me finding out if this is true and i am not being sold a bunch of google. Again thanks for you efforts.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Exactly. Those who see no wrong in Poyet, need to bear in mind, with what Gus had his disposal, most managers in teh game would have been expected to achieve what he did. Where Gus got so much backing and leeway with fans, is where we had come from. Yes, he did lift us from league one to 4th in the Championship, but with the squad he had, no doubt many many others could have done given those resources. No point going over old ground, but good riddance to him IMO.

And this pathetic statement that the club showed him no respect, just proves what a first class twit (what an a) the bloke really is. POT KETTLE BLACK springs to mind. I would dearly love him to get another job, if only to prove to the doubters, just how poor a manager he is. But alias I don't think any club is stupid enough to take on a manager like him. No top side will touch him as he is unproven. No lower league side will touch him, as if he shows the lack of respect to a club like Brighton, what chance as any Championship or lower club of getting him to be loyal to them! I said a year ago, within a couple of years, Poyet will be forgotten in the football world. He'll disappear of the radar, turn up at some low league foreign club, and be known as ex-Brighton manager Gus Poyet. Such a shame as he had all the potential in the world. Just a shame he couldn't control his ego, and such a shame he surrounded himself with " yes men" to the extent that no one dared question him, that in the end, he started to believe his own hype.

I am really looking forward to this season now. I see Oscar as a class above Poyet. I think we'll play the same style football, but with a lot more attacking flair. Depending how out new left back turns out, and with one or two more signings, I think top two has a lot better chance of happening now, than it ever would with Poyet still here. Onwards and upwards!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The High Court might or might not take a different view from an Employment Tribunal. That will be one of the issues the lawyers will be thinking about.

High court? Not after ET surely?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If if if, in 1995 man utd lost out on a treble by the smallest margins. 1 goal in any number of games would have given them the title. Hindsight is wonderful

Gus apologist alert! The fact is we drew far too many games (more than any other team) we should have won because Gus was (a) over-defencive, (b) mismanaged his substitutions; and/or (c) had no plan B.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How many clubs did TB and/or other members of the board negotiate with trying to 'sell' Gus Poyet's services?

Was it Gus who asked for permission to talk to Reading?

How flattered would you feel if your boss suggested you might like to think about taking a job with another company?

History rewritten! What utter BS.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Looking at the way Poyet has handled himself in his time with the club, flirting from idol to occasionally showing his true colours, I would say this isnt over. Through our success with Poyet we kind of forgot who we had hired, a charismatic, latin american and at times, hot head and for me personally I had an inkling that when it would inevitably come to an end it would do so with an almighty crash.

One thing we must do is thank Mr Poyet for his success with the club. For me the way we walked all over League One, with in my opinion a far from "stand out" crop of players, was the greatest accomplishment in his time here. The 4th place finish, amazing. Best in how ever many years. However, Poyet is and was the first ever manager to have any kind of serious financial backing in the modern era. The first to have the privilege to influence the construction of our magnificent stadium and to have input on a multi-million pound training facility.

The squad we had this year, well, it should have won the League really. From goalkeeper to striker you had Premier League experience, Champions League experience, ex-internationals and current internationals, plus a sell out crowd backing them all the way. Everything was there for promotion. Yet we didn't go up? There where 4 points ( I think?) In it between us and 2nd and we didnt go up because we failed to turn a couple of needless draws into wins. We had no plan B.

Oscar Garcia has a wonderful job this season. He may not have the same backing as Poyet but he still has a good squad and one that I believe can challenge this season and be even stronger next. It's a new era for the club and Garcia is the 2nd part of it and with all the Albion have to offer, a good coach should be able to harness that and take us upto the Premier League.

Agree 100%.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Unbelievable. Gus' total lack of respect (and appreciation) for our club, its chairman, its board, its staff, players and fans came shining through in his post-Palace comments, and this wasn't his first show of lack of respect. What a hypocrite he is!

as i said comments used to back up there own dislike of poyet

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Pretty sure this internal appeal board will have dealt only with whether the correct process had been followed by the club, not whether the final decision was justified.

No, they will have looked at whether Gus' appeal was justified. Surprise, surprise they sided with the original decision to dismiss.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

That would be a very one-sided pro-Gus interpretation, especially in the context of Gus' earlier public pronouncements. I'm surprised at you, LB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports