Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Confirms Poyet Dismissal

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A question for the more legal knowledgeable amongst us.

I thought originally Gus was suspended for breach of contract. How has this now become gross misconduct, or is breach of contract considered gross misconduct?

Pretty difficult to work out why there has been this change of emphasis by the club lawyers.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Pretty difficult to work out why there has been this change of emphasis by the club lawyers.

At my old company gross misconduct was of the most serious of charges, which included fighting, stealing, sexual/racial harassment, where breach of contract would have been giving away company information or failing to do tasks contracted to do. To me it is one heck of a change of charges.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
At my old company gross misconduct was of the most serious of charges, which included fighting, stealing sexual/racial harassment where breach of contract would have been giving away company information or failing to do tasks contracted to do. To me it one heck of a change of charges.

Maybe it depends what was put in the contract,perhaps one clause could have been he shouldn't talk to other clubs without permission?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think Bevan is making an early case for Gordon Taylor's job at the PFA.

From the tone of that release, you could have a point there - the PFA gig is a very cosy, well-paid number.

Bevan sounds star-struck. And the pattern established by Gordon Taylor is defend everyone to the hilt whatever they've done, even if it makes you look a total sap.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some people seem desperately keen to be looking for reasons to dislike the man. There's a lot of nonsense being written here - it's not as if these anecdotes warranted a 10 page binfest on here at the time is it?

I might be in the minority but I really am not sure I want to know what caused this rift, as either I'm going to end up being embarrassed by the conduct of the club I support, or I'm going to end up disliking one of the finest managers we've ever had here. I'd rather just wish the bloke well, thanks for some fantastic memories Gus. And now lets watch Oscar ruddy well win us the title.

So much THIS.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
This will happen.

CPFC2010 allegedly rate him.

The goon gallery would love it as they'd see it as 'getting one over' on us.

I'm sure Gus would go for it, and then ALL the talk would be of poaching Bridcutt.

I would hate it. Not because he's ex-Brighton but because of his defence of racism. Vile, and I want nothing to do him ever.

Jimmy Grimble

Gus Poyet today accused Brighton and Hove Albion of a lack of “respect” and denied their claim that he knew he was to be sacked by the club while he was live on air as a BBC pundit last month, after the Championship club stood by their decision to dismiss the Uruguayan.

Poyet, 45, said he will now take a few days to decide whether to pursue the matter in court, after he has meetings with his lawyers and the League Managers’ Association. But he was adamant that Brighton’s claims that he knew in advance that he was to be dismissed on the evening of 23 June, when he was a BBC pundit for Uruguay’s Confederations Cup game against Tahiti, were wrong.

The presenter that night, Mark Chapman, told Poyet live on air about the club statement released at 8pm announcing that the club had sacked him following a suspension that they had earlier initiated. When Poyet told Chapman that this was the first he had heard about the sacking, the club’s behaviour was roundly condemned and the episode became a major talking point.

The following day Brighton responded to the criticism by issuing a statement in which they said that Poyet was “well aware, before he appeared on the BBC ... that his dismissal was pending”. Poyet said that when he turned off his mobile phone at 7.20pm on the night of 23 June as far as he was aware his advisors were still in negotiations with the club until Chapman broke the news to him.

Poyet, in a phone interview with The Independent today, said: “They said the dismissal was pending. What I’m saying is that nobody said to me I was going to be sacked on that Sunday evening and there’s no proof [of that to support Brighton’s claim]. The two parties were negotiating and if there had been an agreement we would have shaken and hands and said ‘goodbye’.

“I turned my phone off at 7.20pm and they were still negotiating. They decided to sack me during the programme. Obviously the negotiations didn’t go that well. The club decided to sack me and released a statement at 8pm. Then I was live on television and nobody was able to contact me to tell me that was coming.

“They can say whatever they like but I didn’t know they were going to sack me. They sent me an email telling me at 12 minutes eight o’clock and then released the news on their website at 8pm.

“I was very disappointed to get the sack and even more the way they did it. I think I deserved more respect. For the achievements we had together – the fans, players and staff – as a manager I deserved a better outcome like a meeting with the people from the club and not to have it done when I was on TV.”

Poyet said his greatest regret at the nature of his dismissal – he was suspended and placed under investigation on 16 May by Brighton and told to stay away from the club – was that he had not been able to speak to the fans and players. He is still not able to go into detail as to the exact reasons why he was dismissed and only received today the full text from the club of the appeal hearing result.

Poyet said: “I didn’t expect to finish this way after what we did together – the fans, the players and the staff. Sometimes when you leave a club you hold a press conference. It is important the fans know that I appreciate the way they treated me and supported me, from the first game with 7,000 there to my last game at the Amex with 32,000 people. It was spectacular. They were very patient with me.

“The Brighton fans knew I was changing the team’s way of playing and they were patient and they liked the way that Brighton played. It is a massive ‘thank-you’ to them. Secondly, my players. I have had a terrible two months not being able to talk to the players. I have a great relationship with them and not being able to tell them my side of the story has been hard.

“Somehow I coped with that. It wasn’t easy. I would like to thank them publicly as well. They really enjoyed the way we played football and we were so close [to promotion to the Premier League]. Sometimes there’s no explanation when you don’t make it.”

When his situation is resolved with Brighton, Poyet said that he would like to manage in the Premier League. “I think I had have had great preparation: two assistant manager jobs at Swindon and Leeds with Dennis Wise and then another with Juande Ramos at Spurs. I have had three and a half years at Brighton. I have improved every year. I think I am ready to have a go at the Premier League.”

In a club statement today, Brighton said: “Following a suspension, investigation, disciplinary meeting, and separate appeal hearing, which was conducted by three members of the club's board in London on 11 July and 12 July, Brighton and Hove Albion confirmed that after further consideration Gus Poyet's dismissal for gross misconduct has been upheld. The panel's decision was delivered to Gus Poyet and his advisers a short time ago.

“The club's internal disciplinary process is now complete. In line with the club's policy to ensure and maintain confidentiality and dignity throughout this process, no further details of the disciplinary or appeal hearings will be released at this time.

“Despite the extremely disappointing end to Mr Poyet's career with Brighton and Hove Albion, the club would like to acknowledge Mr Poyet's service to the club, which included leading the club to the Football League League One championship in 2011 and to its highest league finish for more than 30 years in 2013.”

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Here we go again. A load of newspapers blindly reporting Poyet's latest victim bleat with little or no context, and little or no questioning of what actually happened.

He accuses the club of a lack of respect for his achievements. But everything they have done has been reactive. What if what HE did in the first place lacked respect for the club, fans, his employer, the board, players etc etc. He just can't see it. Totally self-obsessed.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Here we go again. A load of newspapers blindly reporting Poyet's latest victim bleat with little or no context, and little or no questioning of what actually happened.

He accuses the club of a lack of respect for his achievements. But everything they have done has been reactive. What if what HE did in the first place lacked respect for the club, fans, his employer, the board, players etc etc. He just can't see it. Totally self-obsessed.

That comes over very strongly. Even in that article he is promoting himself as being ready to be a premiership manager, unbelievable.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The LMA can't have it both ways, either clubs follow the letter of the (employment) law in which case they should have no issue with Poyet's treatment or managers come and go based on the last 10 results.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
for those who don't care for poyet no matter what was said in that interview it wouldn't be enough to appease there appetite for criticism ...personally i don't see anything controversial and he seemed quite complimentary about the supporters...something else that people have criticised him about

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
'...they liked the way that Brighton played.'

Tbf I liked it in League 1, as it was effective for that division. As it turned out, it wasn't effective in the Championship, and as such, I actually didn't like the way we played, so probably best not to put words where they aren't :wink:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
'...they liked the way that Brighton played.'

Tbf I liked it in League 1, as it was effective for that division. As it turned out, it wasn't effective in the Championship, and as such, I actually didn't like the way we played, so probably best not to put words where they aren't :wink:

if you don't mind me asking...when you say it wasn't effective in the championship...do you not think 4th place is some sort of effectiveness?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
if you don't mind me asking...when you say it wasn't effective in the championship...do you not think 4th place is some sort of effectiveness?

It was effective in the Championship except where the opponents had a coach/manager with a plan able to compete with it and for me, that is where it all fell apart, as Gus had no plan B.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was effective in the Championship except where the opponents had a coach able to compete with it and for me, that is where it all fell apart, as Gus had no plan B.

and yet with plan A we still managed mid table respectability and then 4th...compared to some that is rather effective i would have thought?....Wonder if Oscar has a plan B

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
How is Bevan surprised? He has been suspended and then sacked for months! Hardly a surprise, and he knows a lot more about it than we do.

I think his comments almost go beyond defending Poyet there, and verge into meddling. The stats are irrelevant. He could have won the Champions League, but IF he did something really bad, then it's a matter of principle.

And if he didn't, let's hear the defence (plus the original charges would be nice).

His comments are forced, it's his job to defend managers, they pay him to do this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here