Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Confirms Poyet Dismissal

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Was the gross misconduct signing Billy Paynter?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm not surprised by the LMA statement because the club have set a precedent that will affect their members expecting a pay off cheque after being given the heave ho at their respective club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One moment we have one of the brightest managers in the English game, a prospect so bright that the club inserts a compensation clause worth £2.5 million into his contract. Yet the next moment we've dispensed with his services and foregone that money, with potential court case costs still to come.

You would think that for that to happen something VERY bad has transpired. Yet the LMA don't think so, giving Gus a glowing reference and almost suggesting Bloom has acted in haste. "How can they sack a manager as successful as Gus?" they ask.

Yet if the LMA ARE right then how come Gus has missed out on so many jobs over the past 2 months, a number of which ended up being filled by lesser candidates? Do people in football know something we don't?

I hope Gus takes this on the chin, bides his time and lands a decent job in the Autumn. Unencumbered by the compensation clause he should be able to command a decent wage. Personally, I think he'd be mad to take Bloom to court - other managers have done this and won, only to see their careers finished by the ordeal (i.e. Curbishley, Magilton) so God knows what might happen if he loses.

You wonder whether this might have another twist - Holloway sacked after poor start, Gus at the Palace?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
League Managers Association statement - http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/news-7235.html

LMA STATEMENT ISSUED REGARDING GUS POYET

The LMA has issued the following statement regarding Gus Poyet, further to Brighton & Hove Albion FC failing to uphold his appeal against dismissal.

LMA chief executive Richard Bevan said, “I am really very surprised that the Club has made the decision to dispense with the services of such an outstanding football manager as Gus Poyet.

“Gus has an excellent record of success with the Club, as can be seen from the statistics set out below. We have every faith in Gus’s integrity and have been impressed with the manner in which he has conducted himself during what, for him, has been an extremely difficult period.

“We have supported Gus throughout the disciplinary process and will continue to do so as required. We do not consider that the charges against him amounted to gross misconduct. Gus will now reflect on the outcome and discuss options with the legal team. It would, therefore, not be appropriate to make any further comment at this time”.

Gus Poyet stats:
• At the time of his departure Poyet was the 6th longest serving manager in English football.
• Poyet joined Brighton in November 2009 with the Club in a relegation battle in League One - they were in the relegation zone.
• He achieved promotion and a league title in his first full season as a manager.
• He was later recognised by his peers in the division, as the managers of League One voted him as the Manager of the Year for 2011.
• In 2011/12, Poyet won the Football Managers Outstanding Managerial Achievement Award at the Football League Awards.
• He enjoyed an excellent first season in the nPower Championship, achieving a 10th place finish.
• In 2012/13, he guided Brighton to the play-offs after finishing 4th in the Championship.
• Their fourth place this year is the Club's highest finish since 1983 - ie in 30 years.
• He has won 3 Manager of the Month awards during his time in charge.
• Also during his time in charge, the Club moved into the new Amex Stadium - at a cost of £93 million.
• His overall record with Brighton stands as follows:
o Played 194
o Won 86
o Drawn 59
o Lost 49
o Win ratio - 44.3%

That's basically an advert to potential new employers. Poyet is in a real double bind now. If he goes to an IT that'll put potential suitors off. If he doesn't who is gonna employ someone whose been sacked for Gross Misconduct? He'll be ok in the long run but may have to have a spell managing out of the country or for a desperate lower league outfit mid- season. His best course is probably to submit a Tribunal case as a negotiating move with a view to reaching an out of court settlement. The most ironic feature of this affair is the fact that, as I understand it, the LMA have been exhorting clubs to conform to good employment law practices!! And in that respect a lot of clubs will be looking very closely at the way we have conducted this dismissal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do the LMA know the full facts? If they do then given their statement what prompted the suspension can't be SO heinous as to warrant complete and utter secrecy for evermore. As Tooting mentioned, no confidentiality clause has been agreed with Gus.

They had a representative at the hearings, so they should do.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Bloom is prepared to write off £2.5 million compensation I suspect he'll be up for a fight in the courtroom too, and if Gus wants an out of court settlement I can see Bloom telling him where to go.

I fancy Bloom's stock will be a whole lot higher after this business. He's shown he's prepared to play hardball and this could pay dividends if the stakes get higher and the money gets bigger re transfers, sponsorship, Premier League etc.

If Bloom wants to take this all the way to court, then the negative publicity for the club will be substantial - as long as that's factored into the calculation.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If what I've heard is true, Poyet didn't do anything terrible.(i.e. not a big scandal that will rock anyone's world) but it was enough to warrant a dismissal - in an environment where the club were quite happy to get rid of him. I suspect other managers have done far worse but both sides have wanted to sort out the problem internally.

And the LMA's statement isn't worth anything - basically all it says is that he was a good manager therefore he shouldn't have been sacked.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If Bloom wants to take this all the way to court, then the negative publicity for the club will be substantial - as long as that's factored into the calculation.

What are you talking about, it will be Gus taking it to court, the club will survive negative publicity because it isn't a personal thing, Gus will more than likely be the one to suffer, whatever the outcome if it goes that far, Gus will have a stain of uncertainty on his credentials.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
A question for the more legal knowledgeable amongst us.

I thought originally Gus was suspended for breach of contract. How has this now become gross misconduct, or is breach of contract considered gross misconduct?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How is Bevan surprised? He has been suspended and then sacked for months! Hardly a surprise, and he knows a lot more about it than we do.

I think his comments almost go beyond defending Poyet there, and verge into meddling. The stats are irrelevant. He could have won the Champions League, but IF he did something really bad, then it's a matter of principle.

And if he didn't, let's hear the defence (plus the original charges would be nice).

I think Bevan is making an early case for Gordon Taylor's job at the PFA.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You wonder whether this might have another twist - Holloway sacked after poor start, Gus at the Palace?

This will happen.

CPFC2010 allegedly rate him.

The goon gallery would love it as they'd see it as 'getting one over' on us.

I'm sure Gus would go for it, and then ALL the talk would be of poaching Bridcutt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here