Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Confirms Poyet Dismissal

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
How many clubs did TB and/or other members of the board negotiate with trying to 'sell' Gus Poyet's services?

Was it Gus who asked for permission to talk to Reading?

How flattered would you feel if your boss suggested you might like to think about taking a job with another company?

Didn't Reading and one other approach us and he was given the opportunity to talk to them. It's very likely that right was in his contract. The final question is bollocks. Only football works that way.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't Reading and one other approach us and he was given the opportunity to talk to them. It's very likely that right was in his contract. The final question is bollocks. Only football works that way.

Yes, Poyet supposedly had the right - written in his contract - to talk to any Premier League club. So once a club asked the club, permission was automatic.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Regarding 'PM', six of one and half a dozen of the other, the truth will come out . . .

If what I have been told is correct, it will never come out. It is a perfectly reasonable outcome, and the club is 100% in the right. Part of the reason it will never come out is that it is actually quite dull, meaning those who have been asked to keep it to themselves will do so

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That Wolves went down, and Blackburn barely survived is completely revalant!! Also proves your comments are very misleading. As I have said before, using the term budget is misleading. I agree our "budget" was probably mid table.... our spending power was most certainly not. Because Wolves had a bigger budget, didn't mean they could compete with us in the transfer market. Most of that budget was taken up by overpaid Premiership contracts, that they couldn't get rid off. I get fed up hearing about budgets. Its such a misleading term.

Your point about the league one players being the core of the team is also so misleading its laughable. They did not make up a significant portion of the team or the teams core.

If you are looking for the core of the team try, Kuszazak, Bruno, Greer, Calderon (due to Bruno injury) Upson, Bridge, Hammond, Spanish Dave, Orlandi, Ulloa, Buckley. A very very different list of players you claimed were the core of the team. Of the "league one players" Bridcutt is premiership class, Greer was in the last Scotland squad, and Calderon was covering an injured player. How can you seriously even begin to say the core of our side was league one players who made the step up!!

We missed out on promotion last season, by ONE game. If we beat Hull in the opening game, we would have finished above them. Take into account we failed to do the double over any of the bottom five last season, and there is your reason for us spending another season in this division. I fail to see how it is arrogance in believing we should of done better when you take that into account.

Gus Poyet cared for one thing, and one thing alone. Gus Poyet.

We played two centre backs in every game, that's a total of 9204 minutes (incl injury time and play offs). Upson played 1914, or 20%. 4/5ths of our centrebacks last season were players who had made the step up from league one and had one seasons experience at that level.

Referring to them as league one players may be a little exaggerated, to clarify, I mean players who were recently in league one, have limited experience at a higher level, having made the step up with us only having a season in the championship under their belt (at the start of last season). A league one player will generally be cheaper than an experienced championship player for a reason. A lot of the other teams in our division have established championship players. We have newly qualified championship players, mostly coming in frm league one, some coming from abroad.

Two centre backs (for 80% of the season), the anchoring defensive midfielder (bridcutt), a full back (calderon), two left sided /attack midfielders (barnes and lualua) that's 6 from 11, ignoring Ulloa, lopez and bruno's unfamiliarity with english football. Seems others agree with me about them stepping up.

Our team was good, had great potential, but so were/did a fair few other teams.

Watford missed promotion by one game, bolton and forest missed the play offs by one game. Peterborough and Wolves missed out on survival by one game. We're not the only team who could have performed better, this idea that the we only finished fourth because of what we did ignores we finished where we did because other teams underperformed as well. I was wrong to say ignore the fates of the others, that wasn't so much what I meant, more that they underperformed probably more than we did, and if every team in the division played to their potential, we likely wouldn't have got a play off spot, certainly not the "advantage" of the home second leg.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Regarding 'PM', six of one and half a dozen of the other, the truth will come out . . .

If what I have been told is correct, it will never come out. It is a perfectly reasonable outcome, and the club is 100% in the right. Part of the reason it will never come out is that it is actually quite dull, meaning those who have been asked to keep it to themselves will do so
You tease....but it was about sporks right?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Can't believe people persist with the 'top 2 squad' bollocks (A squad he put together anyway). It's football. FOOTBALL. Nothing is ever so black and white in football.

In today's Argus: Adam El-Abd has admitted Albion blew automatic promotion to the Premier League under Gus Poyet. ... El-Abd says the players know they should have finished above Hull as runners-up to Cardiff. The long-serving defender said: "I think the ending masked what had been a really good campaign. We finished fourth, which was a great achievement in itself, even though the talk among the lads now and the amount of points we threw away is that we should have gone up in second spot. We were four points off it and we threw away some points which would have enabled us to get into that spot."

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Who has said they "have absolutely no faith in the board" ? Some of us hold a slightly more balanced view that the board are as fallible as Gus and it was most likely six of one and half a dozen of the other - both equally to blame. I personally don't think the sun shines out of Bloom's, Barber's or Poyet's arse.

If you trust Gus more than Tony after what they have respectively contributed to the club / how they come across in public, then that isn't balanced it's deluded.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you trust Gus more than Tony after what they have respectively contributed to the club / how they come across in public, then that isn't balanced it's deluded.

You do know what six of one and half a dozen of the other means don't you ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
In today's Argus: Adam El-Abd has admitted Albion blew automatic promotion to the Premier League under Gus Poyet. ... El-Abd says the players know they should have finished above Hull as runners-up to Cardiff. The long-serving defender said: "I think the ending masked what had been a really good campaign. We finished fourth, which was a great achievement in itself, even though the talk among the lads now and the amount of points we threw away is that we should have gone up in second spot. We were four points off it and we threw away some points which would have enabled us to get into that spot."

Nail. On. Head.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Yes. But that is not applicable to the situation we found ourselves in with Board and Gus.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I know - but if I told you I'd have to kill you.

:jester:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
We played two centre backs in every game, that's a total of 9204 minutes (incl injury time and play offs). Upson played 1914, or 20%.
Sorry I had to stop there. You use your numbers to prove your point, but you talk shit. Upson played 20% of the season as centre back, so by your rubbish, if he played every game, he would have played 50%. Very misleading leading mate. How can a player percentage for one player be based over two positions? For the record Upson played 41.6% of the season at centre back. But you use your half truths and your stats, and I'm sure the easily lead will believe you. :yawn:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Yes, but some people are horrified to learn that half the nation's children are in the bottom 50 percent of the attainment statistics. Mostly Daily Mail readers ...

Aug 23, 2011
Sorry I had to stop there. You use your numbers to prove your point, but you talk shit. Upson played 20% of the season as centre back, so by your rubbish, if he played every game, he would have played 50%. Very misleading leading mate. How can a player percentage for one player be based over two positions? For the record Upson played 41.6% of the season at centre back. But you use your half truths and your stats, and I'm sure the easily lead will believe you. :yawn:

I think you missed the point. Acker was trying to show that out of the two positions used for centre back that only one of the players could be considered as "not league 1" therefore by taking him (upson) out of the equation it very easily tells you how much the others played. Your stats saying he played 41% in one position are the same as 20% of two positions and yes if he had been there all season he would only have got 50% by ackers definition as he can't play two positions

I wouldn't question ackers numbers, he's generally spot on with his stats, you just need to understand the viewpoint

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here