[Albion] Club Brugge reportedly interested in Steven Alzate

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Alzate has the potential to be one in the best CMs we’ve ever seen.

Wow. yep, that’s right.

His issues seem to have been around physicality and remaining fit… I remember him playing centrally at Newcastle under Potter and he was superb, albeit in a defeat… prior to that he tore Newcastle apart on his own as a wingback early during GPs reign.

Remember how Moises performed in Belgium ? Didn’t look great and returned to dominate the PL…

I would be hugely disappointed and surprised if RDZ didn’t want to meet him and work with him during preseason… if, as I’m sure he has, Roberto has watched vids of his performances prior to his departure (and whilst on loan) I suspect those expressive eyebrows will have raised ever so slightly with anticipation.

He’s no rough diamond, he’s already polished… we missed having him about during our run in… and we were fortunate indeed that Billy Gilmour came good… a huge mistake to have loaned him out when we did.

Mark me, we may well find Alzate is our next BIG thing - well, that’s how the media will report it I’m sure.

Fingers crossed Roberto sees his class and lets him shine.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think I disagree on both points.
If Moder recovers fully from his injury, I'm pretty sure RDZ will like him.
I agree with your assessment of Alzate's strengths, but that ignores his weaknesses. First, he tends to give the ball away in dangerous positions every game (granted, under RDZ that might be such an issue given the risk/reward strategy he favours). Second, and more worryingly, he lacks the physicality, strength and tackling ability that we're going to need in CM (on the assumption that we lose Moises). It's those attributes that we need in central midfield, and I'm hoping this is addressed in this transfer window.
That said, @Freddo might have demonstrated that I'm wrong.
Agree re Alzate, I actually think his pitch awareness isn’t the best, and that can result in him being tackled or giving the ball away. I’m not sure about Moder and the fit with RdZ, I guess time will tell, great getting in scoring positions, but not a great finisher, also can’t recall if he was good at passing in tight areas.

Really can’t wait for it all to start again.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Alzate has the potential to be one in the best CMs we’ve ever seen.

Wow. yep, that’s right.

His issues seem to have been around physicality and remaining fit… I remember him playing centrally at Newcastle under Potter and he was superb, albeit in a defeat… prior to that he tore Newcastle apart on his own as a wingback early during GPs reign.

Remember how Moises performed in Belgium ? Didn’t look great and returned to dominate the PL…

I would be hugely disappointed and surprised if RDZ didn’t want to meet him and work with him during preseason… if, as I’m sure he has, Roberto has watched vids of his performances prior to his departure (and whilst on loan) I suspect those expressive eyebrows will have raised ever so slightly with anticipation.

He’s no rough diamond, he’s already polished… we missed having him about during our run in… and we were fortunate indeed that Billy Gilmour came good… a huge mistake to have loaned him out when we did.

Mark me, we may well find Alzate is our next BIG thing - well, that’s how the media will report it I’m sure.

Fingers crossed Roberto sees his class and let’s him shine.
Hi Steven 👋

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I think I disagree on both points.
If Moder recovers fully from his injury, I'm pretty sure RDZ will like him.
I agree with your assessment of Alzate's strengths, but that ignores his weaknesses. First, he tends to give the ball away in dangerous positions every game (granted, under RDZ that might be such an issue given the risk/reward strategy he favours). Second, and more worryingly, he lacks the physicality, strength and tackling ability that we're going to need in CM (on the assumption that we lose Moises). It's those attributes that we need in central midfield, and I'm hoping this is addressed in this transfer window.
That said, @Freddo might have demonstrated that I'm wrong.
Agree Alzate was guilty of giving the ball away in front of our goal quite a bit in that CDM role but he was very young and that was playing Potters ponderous knock it around the back as pressure from the press built around us. There is def a very good player in there and RDZ would almost certainly improve him.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think I've mentioned before alazates cousin came round to quote me on new blinds in North London

In short potter managed him terribly. He was desperate to stay at Brighton and not be loaned out. Loves the club. Wants to stay in England, so suspect he will do everything he can to impress RDZ if he gets a chance.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
A victim of his versatility, never been able to hold down one position for us, hopefully a season playing in a normal position for Liege will have helped him.

Has potential, will be interesting to see what RDZ thinks of him in pre season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree re Alzate, I actually think his pitch awareness isn’t the best, and that can result in him being tackled or giving the ball away. I’m not sure about Moder and the fit with RdZ, I guess time will tell, great getting in scoring positions, but not a great finisher, also can’t recall if he was good at passing in tight areas.

Really can’t wait for it all to start again.
Yes, think I agree with all of that, although would be delighted if @Dibdab is right -- he is great at receiving the ball in tight spaces and retaining it.
I like Moder, but you've captured him perfectly in the bolded part. My big issue with him is where he'll play in a RDZ system -- see my post in the 'Next Number 10' thread for an explanation, if that's something you want.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Problem with Moder is he still hasn't kicked a ball yet. I'd be amazed if he's even training properly before the season starts.
Re Alzates physicality - he's just had a full season, playing most games and a lot of them at DM. He'll be much stronger.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I think I've mentioned before alazates cousin came round to quote me on new blinds in North London

In short potter managed him terribly. He was desperate to stay at Brighton and not be loaned out. Loves the club. Wants to stay in England, so suspect he will do everything he can to impress RDZ if he gets a chance.

Did he do your blinds?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Problem with Moder is he still hasn't kicked a ball yet. I'd be amazed if he's even training properly before the season starts.
Re Alzates physicality - he's just had a full season, playing most games and a lot of them at DM. He'll be much stronger.
Remember how Solly beefed up one summer. Then a couple of years later RDZ said 'you are good' and suddenly we have a star. Who was once a lightweight no-mark destined for a modest career in tiers 2 and 3.

I love this club right now. It is very....pleasing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Remember how Solly beefed up one summer. Then a couple of years later RDZ said 'you are good' and suddenly we have a star. Who was once a lightweight no-mark destined for a modest career in tiers 2 and 3.

I love this club right now. It is very....pleasing.

:facepalm: another apologist for lower league Solly:wanker:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think Alzate has the ability to fit in really well to this team, and De Zerbi has the ability to get the best out of him, but he also has Dahoud, Lallana, Gilmour and potentially others coming in, that are going to make it tough for Alzate, especially if he doesn't get the understanding of what De Zerbi wants quickly.
I hope he takes his chance to impress in pre season, and is a regular in the team.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Don't know if the emotional intelligence was an issue with Solly, more an insistence of being too clever by half and having him play in various positions, sometimes in the same match.

Dec 29, 2011
Don't know if the emotional intelligence was an issue with Solly, more an insistence of being too clever by half and having him play in various positions, sometimes in the same match.
Let's not forget he played LWB for over a season..

It's amazing a right winger is excelling once he's played on the right wing.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Will be back in full training with the others now by all accounts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports