[Albion] Club Brugge reportedly interested in Steven Alzate

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Unless there are a lot of fans of Belgian football on NSC all the opinions on Alzate are based on when he last played for us. That is a season ago and there’s lots that could have changed in that time (look at Solly’s performances over the past season for example).

Let’s get him back for preseason and see what magic RdZ can work on him.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
NSC can be divided on players but it's hard to remember one where it's been so divided imo.

Personally I'd like to see him be given a chance with a pre season under RDZ and either sold or kept by the end of the transfer window.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I've always thought he has looked really good, but something tells me our omniscient algorithm finds some of his metrics to be not quite up to the standard that we're at now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
NSC can be divided on players but it's hard to remember one where it's been so divided imo.

Personally I'd like to see him be given a chance with a pre season under RDZ and either sold or kept by the end of the transfer window.
I too would like to see him given a chance - a chance to impress RDZ in the summer. Whether that will lead to him staying remains to be seen. Don't know if we'll make any money on him - unless he's signed an extension (or a new contract) he's a free agent at the end of this month (according to Transfermarkt anyway).

Reactions: :J)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've always thought he has looked really good, but something tells me our omniscient algorithm finds some of his metrics to be not quite up to the standard that we're at now.
Currently, it appears that HE is not up for the Standard he is at now.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I too would like to see him given a chance - a chance to impress RDZ in the summer. Whether that will lead to him staying remains to be seen. Don't know if we'll make any money on him - unless he's signed an extension (or a new contract) he's a free agent at the end of this month (according to Transfermarkt anyway).
His agreement with Standard is up at the end of this year.

He has a further 12 months with us on his contract.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Had a run of games where they were thrashed, guessing he's just been dropped.
Interestingly just been reading about the turmoil at Liège. Ronny Delia left them for Brugge last week and the fans are in uproar. Even the interim manager has had a pop at Delia.
I suspect as yesterday was their last game in the POs with nothing to play for and Alzate is a loan player, they decided to field their own or perhaps play some younger players?
With Delia going to Brugge, perhaps there is a bit of truth in the rumour, which might be another reason for him not being in the squad yesterday?

Or, he’s injured.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I expect him to leave. We have let other players go who have had as much, if not more, promise, i.e. Gyokeres, Ostigard.

As an aside, he is a decent enough who may be able to job in the Prem, certainlly the Championship. I don't see any of those yoyo clubs mentiioned as possible suitors.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I expect him to leave. We have let other players go who have had as much, if not more, promise, i.e. Gyokeres, Ostigard.

As an aside, he is a decent enough who may be able to job in the Prem, certainlly the Championship. I don't see any of those yoyo clubs mentiioned as possible suitors.
It’s more about the fit with Dezerbi ball than the overall promise. I think his quick feet and vision will really impress RDZ. This showreel shows a player who can thrive with Derzerbi ball:

I think he has more chance than Moder of making the team.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Agreed. Never quite got the hype for him. Good on the ball but missed some absolute sitters and part of the problem under Potter
You could be talking about Solly there, look what RDZ has done with him.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
RDZ has not seen anything of him so I think he'll want a look in pre-season before a decision is made. Unless of course our transfer plans are to bring in others ahead of him

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He's got a chance and the March comparison is spot on. Both players that have great technical ability but seem to struggle a bit with confidence, both used in seemingly every position but their best during Potters reign. If he improves as much has he's gonna be a real asset.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I saw Omniscient Algorithm at the Norwich Corn Exchange back in 89.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It’s more about the fit with Dezerbi ball than the overall promise. I think his quick feet and vision will really impress RDZ. This showreel shows a player who can thrive with Derzerbi ball:

I think he has more chance than Moder of making the team.

I think I disagree on both points.
If Moder recovers fully from his injury, I'm pretty sure RDZ will like him.
I agree with your assessment of Alzate's strengths, but that ignores his weaknesses. First, he tends to give the ball away in dangerous positions every game (granted, under RDZ that might be such an issue given the risk/reward strategy he favours). Second, and more worryingly, he lacks the physicality, strength and tackling ability that we're going to need in CM (on the assumption that we lose Moises). It's those attributes that we need in central midfield, and I'm hoping this is addressed in this transfer window.
That said, @Freddo might have demonstrated that I'm wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports