[Albion] Club Brugge reportedly interested in Steven Alzate

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I always thought he seemed solid but nothing spectacular.

If asked what his outstanding attributes were as a player I'd struggle to think of anything that defines his game.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I always thought he seemed solid but nothing spectacular.

If asked what his outstanding attributes were as a player I'd struggle to think of anything that defines his game.
Being a solid player. You literally just named one. His solid attributes will be fantastic off the bench or in a rotated team next season.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Being a solid player. You literally just named one. His solid attributes will be fantastic off the bench or in a rotated team next season.

I don't see him as being of the level for a top 6 side.

We have plenty of solid players.

If him and Gilmour are on the bench together then I'm bringing Gilmour on every time over Alzate.

If we're going to be bringing young players through every season his place would be constantly in jeopardy due to we can't fit everyone into the game day squad.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Never got the hype for Alzate. That said we do need squad players and may have improved as a player as he is still young. Depends on if he wants regular games.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think RDZ would really like him, after working with him for a short while. We are going to need somebody good enough on the ball to receive it from Steele on the del of our box, once Caicedo goes. Alzate has the ability, and awareness of space to do that stuff - not many do. (Ayari looks a very similar player, but is a couple of years behind Alzate).
Agree with that. I also think Alzate has the upper body strength and most importantly, confidence and almost arrogance to receive the ball facing our goal in those tight areas Caicedo often recieves it and not be afraid of losing the ball.

I really liked Alzate from the moment I first watched him because of those qualities so I also think he could really fit into an RDZ side - hope he gets a chance.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Gilmour, Milner, moder, lallana, dahoud, gross, alzate, kozlowski is a lot of central midfielders. Assuming caicedo goes but lacking a DM.
It’s that lack of genuine defensive minded midfielders that is a concern for me. We still need to buy.
Alzate doesn’t plug that particular gap and given the array of similarly skilled players (Alzate has a good tackle, good skills, an excellent engine) he will probably not be at the front of the queue. I suspect he knows he has to move on to progress but he will be a fabulous, and probably bargain, buy for someone.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont know if he is good enough. Certainly his best games were played CM but Potter so often played him out wide or even FB

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
When Bissouma missed out during the 21/22 season it was Alzate who came in and played brilliantly as his understudy. He also got game time covering as a fullback in Potters 5-4-1 or 5-3-2 formations.

I'm hopeful that he will get a chance

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I like Alzate but he's never quite looked prem level to me.
Agreed. Never quite got the hype for him. Good on the ball but missed some absolute sitters and part of the problem under Potter

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
No offence to him but he's not looked anywhere near the level we are aiming at these days. Hopefully bag a few million for him this summer.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Dahoud is an upgrade on Alzate.

He will also have Gross, Gilmour, Lallana (occasionally), Moder (god willing) and Buonanotte ahead of him in CM. Plus Ayari with arguably more potential. Plus anyone we choose to spend the Mac/Caicedo money on.

Defenders should be our priority this summer, IMHO.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I don't see him as being of the level for a top 6 side.

We have plenty of solid players.

If him and Gilmour are on the bench together then I'm bringing Gilmour on every time over Alzate.

If we're going to be bringing young players through every season his place would be constantly in jeopardy due to we can't fit everyone into the game day squad.
That is fine. But even in your scenario, over the course of the season we will find Gilmour starting and we will need to refresh from the bench and Alzate would be a great option. We will be playing a lot more games next season and our success will be determined by the squad, not the best 11 or 15.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He needs to be more consistent in order to play in the PL, maybe the loan in Belgium and playing regularly will have helped in that respect.

Has had some decent performances for us (Spurs at home springs to mind) where he looked the part, however also had some shockers (Everton away) as well.

His problem just might be wrong place, wrong time and if he is now looking for regular minutes, which to be fair he should be at his age then he might need to move on.

Despite the fact he has some of the skill set that RDZ would appreciate he is behind a good number of midfield players who have been coached in how we play for a considerable time.

Will depend if he is happy to stick around till late August and see if he can force his way into the squad or if he wants a resolution early in the window which would probably see him moving on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good on the ball but missed some absolute sitters and part of the problem under Potter
could say this about every player under Potter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports