Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cloud storage

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Whilst I fully accept that Hard Drives do indeed fail, and me being an old 'belt and braces' codger I have a drive offsite too BUT I feel that the chances of your cloud AND your HDD going belly up at the same time pretty slim. Shirley as soon as one went up the pictures then immediate steps would be taken to replace.
Just a thought.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I use a raspberry Pi with a 320gb external hard drive running Bittorrent Sync. It's effectively my own cloud and I can sync directories across several machines.
Probably cost me under £100 and took a couple of hours to set up.
Every few weeks I back the Pi drive up to another external drive which lives in my locker at work (I have 2 drives and swap them over) so one is always off site).

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
I use crashplan, seems pretty good so far. It automatically backs up all files and updates any changes in the background. Hasn't slowed down anything noticeable. Any one else using these chaps?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I use as many as I can get for free. Bundle it all together in Cloudgoo and my overall usage comes in at just 7% of the 141GB I have at my disposal.

That really is rather impressive considering it's all completely free and the first computer I ever had gave me a total of 40MB.

Sadly SugarSync has become paid for only which is a shame as I used to rate it as one of my favourites functionality wise. I'd say it's probably a toss up between Dropbox and Google Drive for my preferred space now, not that it matters when the space can all be amalgamated

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I'm a bit old school, have a 4Tb Network Drive with all my photos, music and videos on. Can access anywhere using relevant app (WD My Cloud in this instance) but backed up on a 4Tb Hard Drive.
Simples.

And what happens if one day, like my 2TB did, it simply stops, no access all data locked into a hard drive you can't access?

I have a 2TB NAS (replaced by Amazin because the other one just stopped after 9 months) I have a 3TB back-up hard drive I have to connect up when I want to back-up I have an old 1TB drive I use on the TV for the downloaded stuff.

I also back-up on accounts with Microsoft, Google drop-box etc. I also back-up on my website server account....

One place to back-up is not enough if it matters enough to have it backed up.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Dropbox for me, I pay for additional space just so I do not have stuff stored in lots of places. It just works.

Do also use an external drive (out of habit, really) so that is three stores (four if you count Dropbox's own recovery systems).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here