Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Close supermarkets on Sundays?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With all that is going on right now and people saying how they are enjoying the peace and quiet, less pressure, time with the family etc, how would you feel about going back to supermarkets being closed on Sundays? Keep convenience stores open, and petrol station, and pubs etc etc, just close the BIG stores and malls. Would it improve life?

Need to be open for key workers at least IMO

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As someone who spent 17 years in retail, i would argue against it.

The two days a year that shops are generally close (Easter Sunday & Christmas Day) the preceding days are usually bloody NUTS. It's even nuts when there's the slightest amount of inclement weather, due to people's natural tendancy to be complete WHOPPERS when it comes to stocking up. See also: the past 2+ weeks.

I used to be staunchly against the idea of closing, mainly as Sunday premiums were a godsend for retail workers, though a number of supermarkets have since got rid of those in the name of cost-cutting. However, the 6 hours of working are good for the economy, aren't generally horrendously busy (the first hour or so can be, but it tails off) and also, most retail workers have forgotten the concept of a 'weekend' so having it as a day off either a) won't bother them too much and b) causes a problem with childcare, or other employment - they work sundays so it fits with the rest of their life.

I get the idea of it, more so now i'm out of the retail world but i think it's too important to revert back.

Hello Mate, thought you worked at Sainsbury's Pulborough, presume no longer?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe 'Market Day' (aka tuesday) could be reintroduced in Haywards Heath. While the pubs in just about every other town were closed down in the the afternoons on account of some ancient Munitions Act, drinking in the Burrell Arms was about the most fun you could have with your clothes on. Well on a tuesday in Haywards Heath anyways

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Boundary Road In Portslade runs N-S and the East side is nominally Hove , the West side Portslade, in the days of half day closing, the Portslade side shut Wednesday afternoon and the Hove side would shut Thursday Afternoons. so, dead handy if you lived locally.

And it's two separate roads, N-S East side is Boundary road Hove and N-S West side is Station Road Portslade. Many moons ago I used to work in Keymarkets supermarket in Station Road and a friend worked on the East Side at Woolworths in Boundary Road. It's strange as the Station is on the East side but is known as Portslade Station?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
They're actually starting that experiment this Sunday.

All Supermarkets closed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes. Sunday used to be a special day where most things were closed. Internet shopping has taken off for people who need to shop on a Sunday.

Sunday being special was more of a throw back to Christianity and, I would respectfully suggest, religion plays little part in the lives of most people in this country.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Hello Mate, thought you worked at Sainsbury's Pulborough, presume no longer?

I used to! Got out of the game November last year.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And it's two separate roads, N-S East side is Boundary road Hove and N-S West side is Station Road Portslade. Many moons ago I used to work in Keymarkets supermarket in Station Road and a friend worked on the East Side at Woolworths in Boundary Road. It's strange as the Station is on the East side but is known as Portslade Station?

And don't forget Carlton Terrace.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This may come as a shock to you but Supermarket workers don't work 7 days a week.

Some people work on Sunday, but don't work on another day. Possibly two other days.

A day off when all your friends and family are at work is not always the greatest fun.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With all that is going on right now and people saying how they are enjoying the peace and quiet, less pressure, time with the family etc, how would you feel about going back to supermarkets being closed on Sundays? Keep convenience stores open, and petrol station, and pubs etc etc, just close the BIG stores and malls. Would it improve life?

This is exactly how it is in Germany and I am a big fan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Boundary Road In Portslade runs N-S and the East side is nominally Hove , the West side Portslade, in the days of half day closing, the Portslade side shut Wednesday afternoon and the Hove side would shut Thursday Afternoons. so, dead handy if you lived locally.

Boundary Road, Hove and Station Road Portslade.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
life has changed, Sunday is the only day some folk have off

Exactly. So chill out, you don’t need to go to B&Q.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In France they have a law, funny that, that trucks cannot drive on Sundays. Now that is great!

Sadly only French registered trucks as I have seen plenty of foreign registered ones on Sundays. Not juggernauts though. Sunday is a good day to drive to and from French destinations.... by car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here