Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clodhoppers and Hoofers 0, 4th best team in championship 1

IOur fully fit squad is better than their's

At the start of the season, thought the 3 strongest squads were Boro, Hull and Burnley's probably in that order.

I'd say we were were the biggest overachievers over the season, main credit to Hughton

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
There's obviously a great deal of residual bitterness towards the Owls. You didn't get to the final because you didn't put your chances away at the Amex. That's not Wednesday's fault, and it's your own players you should be lambasting. And had you got to the final you'd probably have lost, as we did. Why? Because of the three who went up, two of the teams were parachute and the other spent like one. Hull are a PL team who were playing in a lower division, with all the experience and nous which that brings. They really should have gone up automatically, and all it proves is that clubs like Brighton and Wednesday will always be up against it without the parachute money. That's the reality of the Championship, and I'd never have thought that Brighton would have finished third at the start of the season. It was a tremendous achievement. Both the Owls and the Seagulls got into the top six against the odds, and for what it's worth had Brighton knocked Wednesday out I'd have backed you. Firstly because you finished third, and secondly because you always want the team who knocked you out go all the way, as in the cup. Or at least that's the way it's supposed to be.

I find it hard to respond to this as it is such bo*locks.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
There's obviously a great deal of residual bitterness towards the Owls. You didn't get to the final because you didn't put your chances away at the Amex. That's not Wednesday's fault, and it's your own players you should be lambasting. And had you got to the final you'd probably have lost, as we did. Why? Because of the three who went up, two of the teams were parachute and the other spent like one. Hull are a PL team who were playing in a lower division, with all the experience and nous which that brings. They really should have gone up automatically, and all it proves is that clubs like Brighton and Wednesday will always be up against it without the parachute money. That's the reality of the Championship, and I'd never have thought that Brighton would have finished third at the start of the season. It was a tremendous achievement. Both the Owls and the Seagulls got into the top six against the odds, and for what it's worth had Brighton knocked Wednesday out I'd have backed you. Firstly because you finished third, and secondly because you always want the team who knocked you out go all the way, as in the cup. Or at least that's the way it's supposed to be.

You're a bit of a knob really

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
At the start of the season, thought the 3 strongest squads were Boro, Hull and Burnley's probably in that order.

I'd say we were were the biggest overachievers over the season, main credit to Hughton

I didn't say anything about the start of the season. Without the coinciding extended injuries to Lua Lua, March, Bong, Rosenior, Zamora, Greer, Baldock and Hunemeier we wouldn't have dropped the five points that cost us the league.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I would not take the bitterness personally it has just been a hard pill to swallow to see our side miss out in what we believe to be a deserved promotion due to some extraordinary misfortune in the last 3 games.

Personally wanted Hull to win today but only to get another parachute funded team out of the division.

As for Wednesday (aside from our abysmal record at hillsborough) I have nothing against them or their fans and will not judge your club on the basis of a few internet numpties. A decent club with a decent fanbase and took impressive numbers to Wembley. Like us will be looking to come back stronger next season.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Another Piggy telling us what we should be thinking.

Your fans were arrogant tw@ts at your place (before, during and after the match) and at The Amex. Looks like you WILL be playing us again despite the song you wayne kerrs were singing as you gloated your way to the station.

As for wanting you lot to win at Wembley because 'that's the way it's supposed to be'. Says who? Personally I'd love to see you arrogant tossers relegated next season.

Athelwulf

Jan 29, 2016
Thank goodness for an intelligent reply. Of course I can understand that there is disappointment. As I said, I'd have wanted Brighton to get promoted had they won the semis, and I mean that sincerely. I can't speak for all our fan base, but Owls fans I know certainly would have backed Brighton. It's always unwise to judge the entirety of a club's fans on the basis of a few online idiots. Brighton fans I know are nothing like most of those who've replied to my initial message. I bear Hull no ill will. The right team won. The point I was making is that Hull have a big financial advantage over Brighton and Wednesday, which is another reason why I'd have backed Brighton in the final.

Athelwulf

Jan 29, 2016
Very disappointed we came so close only to fall at the last, but bitter? No. The only annoying thing at this time is the number of Wednesday fans spouting off on Owlstalk saying that you should sign Dunk, Knockaert and (one vote for) Hemed. One of them justifies this by saying that our players must surely have had their heads turned by the atmosphere at Hillsborough during the first leg!

Which is, let's be honest, bollocks. The atmosphere at the Riverside for the last regular game was great. The atmosphere at the Amex for the second leg was great. Games like that always are. I've been to Hillsborough four times and on three of those occasions, it was dreadful. Rusty old half empty stadium, with one fat bloke banging a drum, oh, and that terrible "Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday...we forgot the next line baby" thing you do.

To suggest that our best players are suddenly going to decide they'd love to move to South Yorkshire on the basis of a play off final and a couple of thousand mobile phone torches in a vital game is deluded, arrogant Big Club Syndrome at its finest. No wonder people take the piss out of The Massive. We have no parachute payments, but we're hardly the paupers of this league when it comes to wages. Sure, we have our share of dreamers on NSC too, but I don't see a dozen people suggesting Hooper and Forestieri would be (a) on our radar and (b) keen to come here.

That's all that winds me up (well, that, and the incessant willy waving about ticket sales, when you've been playing in front of 18,000 for years).

In fairness, this business about Brighton's players coming to Hillsborough is news to me. What's on Owlstalk isn't representative of the club's fanbase as a whole. This "massive" thing was originally said tongue in cheek, and it is now used as a stick to beat the club with. It's ludicrous. Until Mandaric took the club over in 2010, Wednesday's board were administrators who put nothing into the club. The club had thousands of small shareholders - very democratic, but no mega-rich businessman was ever going to take the club over with that system. Obviously they want to own the club. That's the reason why the club wound up in such a mess, and why the stadium is dilapidated. It was a system which was defunct the day the maximum wage was abolished, and I know of no other club which operated that system. The previous board did not want to go, and it was the taxman that finally got them out which let Mandaric in. He paved the way for Chansiri, and the club is finding it's way back after an horrendous 15 years. How Wednesday can be described as "massive" after that lot I don't know.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
In fairness, this business about Brighton's players coming to Hillsborough is news to me. What's on Owlstalk isn't representative of the club's fanbase as a whole. This "massive" thing was originally said tongue in cheek, and it is now used as a stick to beat the club with. It's ludicrous. Until Mandaric took the club over in 2010, Wednesday's board were administrators who put nothing into the club. The club had thousands of small shareholders - very democratic, but no mega-rich businessman was ever going to take the club over with that system. Obviously they want to own the club. That's the reason why the club wound up in such a mess, and why the stadium is dilapidated. It was a system which was defunct the day the maximum wage was abolished, and I know of no other club which operated that system. The previous board did not want to go, and it was the taxman that finally got them out which let Mandaric in. He paved the way for Chansiri, and the club is finding it's way back after an horrendous 15 years. How Wednesday can be described as "massive" after that lot I don't know.

Am afraid you are preaching to the converted reference torrid times old chum !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Fair comments

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010

tl;dr

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Thank goodness for an intelligent reply. Of course I can understand that there is disappointment. As I said, I'd have wanted Brighton to get promoted had they won the semis, and I mean that sincerely. I can't speak for all our fan base, but Owls fans I know certainly would have backed Brighton. It's always unwise to judge the entirety of a club's fans on the basis of a few online idiots. Brighton fans I know are nothing like most of those who've replied to my initial message. I bear Hull no ill will. The right team won. The point I was making is that Hull have a big financial advantage over Brighton and Wednesday, which is another reason why I'd have backed Brighton in the final.
Fred-Cawood-outside-his-p-001.jpg

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I don't really have a problem with Sheffield Wednesday, there, I've said it; there will always be deluded fans following every club. What this season has shown is that teams playing good football like Brighton, Derby and SW will generally lose out to money. Burnley and Hull were Premier League clubs supported by parachute payments and 'Boro were spending like one. Had we splashed the cash and bought strength in depth then we would be looking forward to life in the prem next season instead of Hull. Hopefully this summer we can part company with the weaker links in our squad and build a more consistent team to get us over the line.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't really have a problem with Sheffield Wednesday, there, I've said it; there will always be deluded fans following every club. What this season has shown is that teams playing good football like Brighton, Derby and SW will generally lose out to money. Burnley and Hull were Premier League clubs supported by parachute payments and 'Boro were spending like one. Had we splashed the cash and bought strength in depth then we would be looking forward to life in the prem next season instead of Hull. Hopefully this summer we can part company with the weaker links in our squad and build a more consistent team to get us over the line.

I don't have problem with Wednesday either. They are a big club and so are Leeds. I don't get why some of our fans get so upset about them saying so.

they were always an outside chance to go up and came unstuck to a better team full of ex Premier League players. Par for the course really.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
They want Dunk, Knocky and Hemed from us. One fan on owlstalk thinks that if they went in for all 3 they would get them because in the first leg of the playoffs their heads may have been turned due to the size and atmosphere at the ground.
But still can't offer PL football :whistle: inbreds they are

Sent from the tearglands of Massive Wednesday fans

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don't have problem with Wednesday either. They are a big club and so are Leeds. I don't get why some of our fans get so upset about them saying so.

they were always an outside chance to go up and came unstuck to a better team full of ex Premier League players. Par for the course really.

Same here - it would be nice if they were a LITTLE more humble every now and then, but it must be the Yorkshire thing. In my experience the average Yorkshireman (or woman) is generally very friendly and a good laugh. However, their natural pride in their place of birth has a tendency to get out of hand - and - before you know it - they've turned into arrogant tosspots of the highest order. Funnily enough, they don't seem to realise!

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Didn't want Wednesday to go up but this Hull love in is bizarre. Like Burnley they only went up because of parachute payments. Hull is a rugby town ffs and produces fewer local players than coastal Sussex.
Expect no more than one non parachute club to go up next season. After that the the door might shut totally. The Premier League is a shambles protecting a host of tinpot clubs who can only dream of the home support that Championship clubs like ourselves get.
Hardly a 'love in'. It's pretty clear as to why people on here wanted Hull to beat Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jessiejames
They want Dunk, Knocky and Hemed from us. One fan on owlstalk thinks that if they went in for all 3 they would get them because in the first leg of the playoffs their heads may have been turned due to the size and atmosphere at the ground.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jessiejames

Heads may have turned, but then continued turning to look at what they already have, CH and the great Albion supporters :)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Same here - it would be nice if they were a LITTLE more humble every now and then, but it must be the Yorkshire thing. In my experience the average Yorkshireman (or woman) is generally very friendly and a good laugh. However, their natural pride in their place of birth has a tendency to get out of hand - and - before you know it - they've turned into arrogant tosspots of the highest order. Funnily enough, they don't seem to realise!

Yarkshir born
Yarkshir bred
Strong in't arm
And thick in't 'ead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here