Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clinton Morrison is ruining my life

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you tune into R5L you deserve everything you get, sorry, no sympathy.

Even numbers only for these ears.

Please don’t tell me you listen to “ talk shite “

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Please don’t tell me you listen to “ talk shite “
I have had to listen more often to Talkshite recently as they get 2-3 live commentaries on Saturdays now and I need something to take my mind off my work...my annoyance with them is the hype generated in order to get a " Debate " started in order to get listeners involved.... ie phoning in.

A couple of weeks ago Declan Rice was being puffed and counter puffed by the two presenters to the extent that after their hagiographies one just stated " Declan Rice will be the next Bobby Moore "!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I like Clinton Morrison. It's better than listening to Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher and Graham Souness go as though the demise of Man United as though they are talkin about World Famine or Climate Change.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
5 live has really gone down hill in the last few years now that they're trying to tick boxes. They've lost some really good commentators across a few sports.

I don't mind CM, I think he's got better. Carney is terrible, luckily Sky televise WSL and she features regularly on Sky, so she has been on R5 less (every cloud). McNamara isn't great. Ian Dennis, John Murray and ABB are very good commentators. Disappointed they lost Mike Costello and such a shame that Mike Ingham retired a few years ago now, he was excellent.

I hated Chris Sutton when they started to give him air time about 5 or 6 years ago, but he's grown on me. Turning into a really good broadcaster. Enjoyed his 606 with ABB, but for some reason they thought it'd be better with Savage. Can't stand this thng they're trying to do with the R1 DJ Nick Bright. He's terrible. Prepping us for Mark Chapman's departure. If he replaces him then I'll be turning it off

The Nick Bright show is to try and bring in a younger audience to try and get a cross over from his Radio Show. The format comes from his Producers.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The criticism of Clinton Morrison is justified. Anybody who goes by the name of Clinton deserves to be strongly criticised.

That said, he is always as excited as a puppy, and this leads to him speaking his mind, which can be entertaining provided it's not on rewind repeat.

The one I consider to be worse than useless is Ashley Cole. He's so nervous, he doesn't say anything, just giving short, clipped replies, ensuring he never makes a mistake. So there's never any real insight or opinion from him. Plus I can't believe he cheated on Cheryl. I mean, wtf?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I love the sport coverage on 5Live when I'm in pottering in the kitchen, driving the car or out for a dog walk or run.

...apart from when Clinton Morrison is the pundit for a commentary game.

He uses "at this precise moment" and "to be fair" all the bloody time. In fact it may even be more frequent than that. And since I first noticed this, I can't un-hear it. Every. Bloody. Time.

Anyone else had their life ruined by Clinton Morrison?

Yes, yes and yes. 'To be fair' is my particular bugbear of his. I think Saturday was one of his worst days. Regularly twice in one sentence and I feel three times may not be far off. You'd think the media on which he features would actually listen to the output of these amateur pundits and offer a little guidance/training to actually improve them. On the other hand, the producers are probably just as ignorant as the pundits these days.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
The criticism of Clinton Morrison is justified. Anybody who goes by the name of Clinton deserves to be strongly criticised.

That said, he is always as excited as a puppy, and this leads to him speaking his mind, which can be entertaining provided it's not on rewind repeat.

The one I consider to be worse than useless is Ashley Cole. He's so nervous, he doesn't say anything, just giving short, clipped replies, ensuring he never makes a mistake. So there's never any real insight or opinion from him. Plus I can't believe he cheated on Cheryl. I mean, wtf?

I think Jack Wilshere is the worst.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I like Clinton Morrison. It's better than listening to Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher and Graham Souness go as though the demise of Man United as though they are talkin about World Famine or Climate Change.

I think it's important to differentiate work as co-commentators and pundits.

I can tollerate anyone as a pundit, because pre- or post-match analysis is easy to ignore, skip or switch off.

But if you're listening to a live match on the radio, you're stuck with the co-commentary woven into the commentary for 90min.

Five Live have some great broadcasters on their metaphorical rolodex - Pat Nevin comes to mind - but these days insist on giving most of the gigs to Clinton Morrison and Karen "What does ominous mean?" Carney - ex-pros with extremely limited/annoying vocabulary. (If fairness, Chris Waddle isn't new).

Ergo, I listen to Radio Five way less than I used to at weekends, and my kids aren't growing up with it in the house - not the youth policy the BBC is stiving for!

Funnily enough, the BBC Radio haven't dumbed down their coverage of golf, rugby union, F1, tennis etc. The only possible conclusion is that the BBC think football fans are 'fick'.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Are we sure this non-love for our Clinton isn’t a bit down to his choice of former clubs, well one of them in particular ? You’ll be saying that Simon Jordan is obnoxious next!!

Are you certain about that?

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/news/live-blog-follow-for-the-latest-updates-on-the-generation-cup/2021-10-31/

3a1fce4a-3cda-460b-a7a3-125a72d04462.jpg

Last edited:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I love the sport coverage on 5Live when I'm in pottering in the kitchen, driving the car or out for a dog walk or run.

...apart from when Clinton Morrison is the pundit for a commentary game.

He uses "at this precise moment" and "to be fair" all the bloody time. In fact it may even be more frequent than that. And since I first noticed this, I can't un-hear it. Every. Bloody. Time.

Anyone else had their life ruined by Clinton Morrison?

To be fair I agree with you and he is my most annoying pundit. I really can't stand listening to him, but I'm not bothered by it at this precise moment (as I'm not listening to him).

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not odd at all, can you point me to the part where I praise Nick Bright, Carney and McNamara?

Oh. :facepalm:

You made a general statement "5 live has really gone down hill in the last few years now that they're trying to tick boxes. " and then added:

"I don't mind CM, I think he's got better. <snip> Ian Dennis, John Murray and ABB are very good commentators.

I hated Chris Sutton when they started to give him air time about 5 or 6 years ago, but he's grown on me."

You also slagged a few people off.

So downhill and also uphill. :shrug:

As it happens I don't like the spotty teenage broadcasters or that annoying Irish woman who interviews facebookers and teenyboppers, but cast your mind back to when Peter Allen did Drive (sneering at every politician that wasn't conservative), and Dominic Diamond did 6-0-6. And after that, 6-0-6 with David bloody Mellor :facepalm:.

Swings and roundabouts, innit? Definitely not downhill, let alone really downhill, especially if there are some you like, even some new ones. That would be an exaggeration, and I'm sure I've asked you a million billion times to not exaggerate. :wink:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Personally think Morrison is absolutely superb as a co commentator, the best there is at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here