Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clerk Jailed for Refusing to Give out Gay marriage licences

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Perhaps what you ought to say is that you personally don't believe in religion.

Otherwise you will sound like a bigot, and I know how much you hate bigots.

theres nothing bigoted about observing that we no longer follow ecclesiastical law or teaching, we follow secular laws and statutes. the rest of the quote you omit also shows a fundamental hypocrisy from the women involved, and the precedence of secular law over others.

The court empowered 5 of her 6 deputies to issue licences in her place, but she revoked that decision - presumably before she was jailed and, presumably also, that contributes to the thinking behind her jailing.

as i read it, that is wholly the reason for her jailing, she attempted to overrule the courts verdict - simple contempt of court.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm no bigot. I have hated the way that religion has persecuted and discriminated against the LGBT community throughout it's long history. This is from someone who worked within the Church of England for twenty three years and who campaigned for the denomination to rethink it's stance and negative policies towards lesbian and gay people.

I am glad the community is fighting back along with the rest of an enlightened society to question and bring outdated, repressive religious attitudes and doctrines to account.

Well,
The time where people deferred to religion has long passed. There is no wriggled room.
doesn't sound very tolerant to me. You seem to have a problem with religion in general, rather than just this woman, and you seem to think that anti LGBT attitudes define relgion and people who are religious.

What about when a person defers to their faith when it comes to the homeless? Defer to politics and they will be told, "There is a program for that.", defer to the Law and they will be told, "Don't loiter". Generally a religious person, if deferring to their faith, will do something positive. For all of your twenty three years working in the church you really seem to have missed the point. I'm not personally religious, but to be honest I'm often quite thankful for and inspired by those people who are.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Well, doesn't sound very tolerant to me. You seem to have a problem with religion in general, rather than just this woman, and you seem to think that anti LGBT attitudes define relgion and people who are religious.

What about when a person defers to their faith when it comes to the homeless? Defer to politics and they will be told, "There is a program for that.", defer to the Law and they will be told, "Don't loiter". Generally a religious person, if deferring to their faith, will do something positive. For all of your twenty three years working in the church you really seem to have missed the point. I'm not personally religious, but to be honest I'm often quite thankful for and inspired by those people who are.

As the whole thread is about a religious person, with anti LGBT attitudes, who is not doing anything positive ie placing their own religious beliefs over a citizens rights under the law, not sure what the point of your post was? Are you inspired by this woman, or GregBrighton who has worked within the CofE for 23 years?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Well, doesn't sound very tolerant to me. You seem to have a problem with religion in general, rather than just this woman, and you seem to think that anti LGBT attitudes define relgion and people who are religious.

It's nice that you are inspired by good religious people. So am I that's why I stayed with the church for so long. But there are sides to the faith that I abhor: the history of the persecution of lesbian gay and transgendered people, treatment of women, treatment of people of other faiths, the institutional child abuse.

It's great that you like the good, fluffy side but there are sides of the faith that are clearly not positive at all. As you say you are not particularly religious, you have little idea what actually goes on inside the church.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
well ive listened to our politicians banging on over the past few years how important Freedom Of Religion rights are for all religions,which i presume must also mean the freedom of observance.

not entirely true is it?

Not quite sure you're understanding it. She, in her official capacity was limiting others freedoms.

Not quite sure how you've managed to get it the opposite way around in your head!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's nice that you are inspired by good religious people. So am I that's why I stayed with the church for so long. But there are sides to the faith that I abhor: the history of the persecution of lesbian gay and transgendered people, treatment of women, treatment of people of other faiths, the institutional child abuse.

It's great that you like the good, fluffy side but there are sides of the faith that are clearly not positive at all. As you say you are not particularly religious, you have little idea what actually goes on inside the church.

You should take a person as you find them, not paint with a broad brush and judge people by association.

What if a gay man abused a child, should we judge gay men in general for that?

What if an Albion fan expressed racism or homophobia, should we judge all Albion fans for that?

You generalize, which is the basis of prejudice. & worse you're a moron, because you are the exact kind of person you think you hate.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Where have I tarred all religious people with the same brush? Your argument is somewhat cretinous, to be quite honest. I reserve the right to call out aspects or actions of a particular faith or religious institution I dislike. How you interpret my comments is clearly your problem, not mine.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You should take a person as you find them, not paint with a broad brush and judge people by association.

What if a gay man abused a child, should we judge gay men in general for that?

What if an Albion fan expressed racism or homophobia, should we judge all Albion fans for that?

You generalize, which is the basis of prejudice. & worse you're a moron, because you are the exact kind of person you think you hate.

You seem to be the one making sweeping statements. Gregbrighton was talking about his experience within the church. He stated there were good things but there were bad things. Where on earth does he say that one bad person makes everyone else the same?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A beautiful knockout punch for those who support Kim Davies because "It's in the Bible".
Oh god you've done it now.
I'm caught in a West Wing sound bite loop.

I always say it's 'top 3' TV series but I'd forgotten just how good it was.

#voteBartlet

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
You seem to be the one making sweeping statements. Gregbrighton was talking about his experience within the church. He stated there were good things but there were bad things. Where on earth does he say that one bad person makes everyone else the same?

Despite saying he is not particularly religious, dingodan comes across as being somewhat paranoid at anyone criticising or even questioning religion. I have come across evangelical/fundamentalists who do this, presumably because they are not assured in their own faith. I think dingodan is doing it because he doesn't know WTF he is talking about.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Despite saying he is not particularly religious, dingodan comes across as being somewhat paranoid at anyone criticising or even questioning religion. I have come across evangelical/fundamentalists who do this, presumably because they are not assured in their own faith. I think dingodan is doing it because he doesn't know WTF he is talking about.

So I am either a closet evangelical/fundamentalist (I suppose they are the same thing, right?), or I don't know WTF I am talking about.

Nice.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
So I am either a closet evangelical/fundamentalist (I suppose they are the same thing, right?),

No they are not the same thing, although they can overlap.

Christian fundamentalists subscribe to specific core beliefs as "fundamentals".

Evangelical Christians are generally characterised by four distinctives:
1) the necessity of a personal conversion experience,
2) belief in the divine inspiration of scripture,
3) the centrality of atonement through the sacrifice of Christ and
4) an activism that includes preaching and social action.

The main differences between the two would be that fundamentalists believe that scripture is without error in its written form in English, and often believe that social action is a tool of the devil, whereas evangelicals typically believe that scripture is inspired by God, and that one's belief will lead to action to improve the lot of one's fellow man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicalism

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here