Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clearly People Hate The NHS

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm sure your government, based on other countries, knew it wouldnt work and that preparations for further measures are being prepared, but that it was possible to save another few thousands of lifes by giving this "advice" despite not being able to fully enforce it (yet).

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Oh that scrote that nicked an emergency dept Dr's bike, put him straight into the hospital incinerator along with all the other biological waste.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The 20+ people who held the BBQ in Birmingham today (which was broken up by the Police) I must admit has left me totally gobsmacked.

People are still emailing TV programmes asking the most stupid questions, like can I still go and get my hair done?

Pensioner on radio, I build furniture and sell it, can I still do that as I have my own lock up and work on my own. This was from a 73 year o ld

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's simple, does your work directly help NHS, food chain of pharmaceutical companies?

YES = key worker to go work, keep safe

NO = Stay at home. FFS it's simple. Why can't people understand that?

Pensioner on radio, I build furniture and sell it, can I still do that as I have my own lock up and work on my own. This was from a 73 year o ld

Not quite sure whether your answer to the pensioner is a yes or no? If he's building furniture in his own property, without meeting anyone - what's the difference between that and staying in his own home/property? But he's not a key worker....

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Over 70's should self isolate.

The guidance / advice / instructions from the government have not (yet) been that over 70s must self-isolate because of their age, just that they need to extra careful in social distancing.

I would have though that he can carry on building, but not selling?

D

Deleted member 22389

Hope the government make things clear as regards construction, what is essential and non essential. My friend is still delivering supplies over East Sussex. It's not right people are working as normal here. Same goes for some office workers as well.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It's simple, does your work directly help NHS, food chain of pharmaceutical companies?

It is quite clearly not simple, is it? My girlfriend's company have decided they are important enough to stay open. They are book wholesalers. She doesn't want to go to work. I don't want her to go to work. She has no choice as the government have only specified business types that must close - not a list of just those that can open. Politician on the news a few minutes ago saying that businesses like this are fine to stay open if they can provide safe measures. Is she now going to be subject to abuse from people like you because she doesn't have a choice?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Or keep the internet and key technology running to allow people to WFH ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Is it really that simple?

You work in a warehouse that supplies spare parts for HGVs. What should you do?
You are an AA or RAC patrol driver / mechanic. What should you do?
You operate a laundrette. What should you do?
You have a franchise repairing and fitting hydraulic hoses for heavy vehicles and machines. What should you do?

It isn't always so simple. If only situations like these were.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You have a franchise repairing and fitting hydraulic hoses for heavy vehicles and machines. What should you do?

Would you really expect to be told you had to close or stop working if queried by whoever is enforcing? I imagine once again common sense and a reasoned discussion would mean a decision that you could carry on for the above. The launderette may be borderline.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Would you really expect to be told you had to close or stop working if queried by whoever is enforcing? I imagine once again common sense and a reasoned discussion would mean a decision that you could carry on for the above. The launderette may be borderline.

Well, quite. I suppose I was trying to make the point about who should carry on going to work and who should stay at home is not always as clear cut as some seem to believe it it is. There are many nuanced situations that require careful judgement. Supply chains are only as good as the weakest link. If a clerical person at an engineering factory stays home and the company can't then dispatch a part for a faulty pallet truck, that could potentially hinder loading HGVs at a food distribution centre. If the laundrette supports families and elderly people with no other way of washing their clothes should they stay open?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Well, quite. I suppose I was trying to make the point about who should carry on going to work and who should stay at home is not always as clear cut as some seem to believe it it is. There are many nuanced situations that require careful judgement. Supply chains are only as good as the weakest link. If a clerical person at an engineering factory stays home and the company can't then dispatch a part for a faulty pallet truck, that could potentially hinder loading HGVs at a food distribution centre. If the laundrette supports families and elderly people with no other way of washing their clothes should they stay open?

And that's part of the problem with the way things are being reported as well. The news was full of 'shocking images' of full tube trains yesterday - but as you say, people in the supply chain for all sorts of things probably need to continue working, and they still need to get to work. Many of those crammed on the tubes will not have been there just because they wanted to be.

But many of us can help as well - so, for instance, we are being encouraged to do online shopping. But ordering something like a book online still means someone has to go in to somewhere to pack it up, take it to the post office, who then have to have staff to deliver it - all potential for contact and movement. If we only ordered essential food supplies as well, that might help.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Wow , 250,000 volunteers for the NHS practically overnight, amazing. This might not help the tube, train, bus situation though...

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Government should employ the Black cabs in London to ferry any NHS workers to and from hospital rather than take the tube. Cabbies would’ve taken a massive hit in business so would still be earning and NHS would be isolated in the back of the cab.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here