Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classic Footballs

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
That is the absolute DON of all footballs.

The AZTECA version ran it CLOSE though...

tango5.jpg

happy days

think I had them for my my subbuteo as well

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry Brett. Its a personal thing. The ball of the World Cup when I was 15 is always going to beat the one from when I was 19 and less excited about such things...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not that the 90 one isn't still a thing of great beauty. I'd have to rank them 82, 86, 90, though.

and here we see how the effect of marketing can ruin a beautifully simple and elegant concept......
AD6557_1_Large.jpg

adidas Mens Finale Capitano Football Black/White
adidas UEFA Champions League official match replica football.

football1-300x289.jpg

take a look at this ball as a kind of example of the beginnings of football technology. Taken from the site Antique Soccer Balls Replica Leather Football footballs this ball apparently is a 1930s World Cup ball. Look at the string stitching? As the ball developed in the 70s-80s the standard came for 32 panel football, also known as a truncated icosahedron football:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
and here we see how the effect of marketing can ruin a beautifully simple and elegant concept......
AD6557_1_Large.jpg

adidas Mens Finale Capitano Football Black/White
adidas UEFA Champions League official match replica football.

That said, the first Finale version was a great ball. The last football I purchased :(

Champsfinalesilver.jpg

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
When I played Sunday League, the ball was always a Mitre Ultimax. Whats the ball of CHOICE these days?

Jimmy Grimble

Ya' canne beat the retro balls.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Bounce!

The Tango is back for the Euro's next year

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2011/12/2/1322842938436

I found my '84 Tango the other day. It still inflates ok but all the markings have completley worn away now. The old-school balls go for a good price on ebay.

When I was in paris a couple of years ago, a big Addidas shop had all the various incarnations of the Tango in a glass display case. Lovely stuff.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Probably wrong to describe it as a proper football but weren't those 'Frido' balls fun? You could kick it as hard as you could into the lightest breeze and it would balloon back over your head!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here