Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic albums

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

So many influenced by this classic

I have this in my collection. Agree, hugely influential. As an aside, there’s been a spate of rather excellent Alan Vega releases over the past 12 months.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sinatra at the Sands

Anita Baker - Rapture

Us3- Hand on the Torch

U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky

Paul Weller - Heavy Soul

Haggis Horns - Hot Damn!

Guru's Jazzmatazz -Streetsoul

Many many more......

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If you want to check out more from Parliament & Funkadelic I have some recommendations. Maggot Brain is a great track but the album is not one of their best IMO. Personally I think the best Funkadelic studio album is "Standing on the Verge of Getting It On". I'm more of a Parliament (basically the same group but with more horns than guitars) man however, with "Mothership Connection", "Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome" and "Motor Booty Affair" being the three best ones in my opinion.

Nothing beats the Live 1976–1993 album (probably not a 'classic' objectively but hey ho) however, with a bunch of dirty good tracks, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVqutFDcs8A

If you want to go into hiphop, all of the Outkast albums are quality stuff with Stankonia perhaps being my favorite.. or Aquemini... or maybe their last and very underrated Idlewild album.

Pharcydes Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde is also a classic with all those nice jazz samples. Another one is Digable Planets Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space) or the old Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince albums.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blood on the Tracks

Bob Dylan

It's in my collection. My late father was sitting at home in his arm chair one day and there was a Dylan compeition on the radio..winner got the back catalogue on CD plus tickets to see him. It was a name-that-tune style comp. They played one bar of a song as then read out the number.....which my father punched into the phone as they read it out. He was straight onto the radio and won the prize. He didnt have a CD player at the time so gave all the CDs to me.....including this classic you mention.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sinatra at the Sands

Anita Baker - Rapture

Us3- Hand on the Torch

Paul Weller - Heavy Soul

Haggis Horns - Hot Damn!

Many many more......

Guru's Jazzmatazz....never heard of this...but deserves a listen for the name alone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For trippy jangly indie-pop, (this may be controversial) I suggest Primal Scream's debut long player, Sonic Flower Groove.

Released in 1987, and still one of my most played albums. Simply beautiful.

The reason I say it may be controversial, is that this album has been ludicrously denigrated, by scores of revisionist reviewers, like this clown, below (23 years after the release) who detest it because it doesn't sound like they think Primal Scream should sound (based on LATER output). :rolleyes:

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/34894/Primal-Scream-Sonic-Flower-Groove/

I have this in my collection. Music revisionism is an amusing topic. It goes both ways, Paul's Boutique was hugely dismissed when it was released....it's a classic and influential album now :lolol: And most famous people, when asked, always state a cool classic as their first album. **** of was it......more like a Top of The Pops sampler from Woolies like me.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The reason I say it may be controversial, is that this album has been ludicrously denigrated, by scores of revisionist reviewers, like this clown, below (23 years after the release) who detest it because it doesn't sound like they think Primal Scream should sound (based on LATER output). :rolleyes:

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/34894/Primal-Scream-Sonic-Flower-Groove/

As you say the reviewer is an idiot who seems to have little grasp of Primal Scream's career. The indie-dance fusion thing was really only Screamadelica. Before that they had done the bowl cut jangly stuff and the rock'd up Alex Chilton stuff of the follow up to Sonic Flower Groove. Their fourth album was a Memphis sound/Rolling Stones thing. They then went on to the Can influenced stuff. Screamadelica was an interesting album because it was dance music made by people, a lot of whom didn't come out of the dance scene. They brought their influences with them and many of their influences were the things that this reviewer is complaining about. He should be seeing the path to Screamadelica, not just complaining that the album isn't Screamadelica.

Having said that, I don't love 'Sonic Flower Groove'. I remember loving the singles that preceded it and feeling a bit let down when the album came out. My favourite album of the C86 Byrds rip off bands was 'Storyteller' by the Razorcuts, which I think still stands up today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tudgjsj6nvo

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The music threads on here kept me going over the last 2 years, Super Steve Earl's 'Best song you've heard today' thread, in particular, has been one of my all time my favourites. It caused me to get lost daily in YouTube wormholes of music, and really jogged my musical memory, it also opened my mind to many different genres I would never have considered. Anyway, here's a few classic albums that are favourites of mine,

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
The Doors - The Doors
Deep Purple - Deep Purple In Rock + Made In Japan
Rod Stewart - "Every Picture Tells A Story"
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century + Breakfast In America
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
Simple Minds - Glittering Prize
Go West - Bangs And Crashes
Erasure - The Innocents + Wild

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My choices

Attachments

• 0_xlnI07WW5vjvQP4-.jpg
    0_xlnI07WW5vjvQP4-.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 41oUUnn992L._AC_SY355_.jpg
    41oUUnn992L._AC_SY355_.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 0_stone-roses.jpg
    0_stone-roses.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 139
  • MeatMurder.jpg
    MeatMurder.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 139

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have this in my collection. Music revisionism is an amusing topic. It goes both ways, Paul's Boutique was hugely dismissed when it was released....it's a classic and influential album now :lolol: And most famous people, when asked, always state a cool classic as their first album. **** of was it......more like a Top of The Pops sampler from Woolies like me.

I grew up listening to my parents' massive collection of bootleg cassette tapes, which were pennies in the market in Dubai. Byrds, Stones, Beatles, Doors, Beach Boys, Santana, Neil Young, Pink Floyd and Boney M all heavily featured.

The first album I actually owned myself (on cassette, obviously) was genuinely, Psychocandy by Jesus and Mary Chain.

However my first 7" was a BBC 'double A-side' of the themes from Black Beauty and Hawaii-5-0!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As you say the reviewer is an idiot who seems to have little grasp of Primal Scream's career. The indie-dance fusion thing was really only Screamadelica. Before that they had done the bowl cut jangly stuff and the rock'd up Alex Chilton stuff of the follow up to Sonic Flower Groove. Their fourth album was a Memphis sound/Rolling Stones thing. They then went on to the Can influenced stuff. Screamadelic was an interesting album because it was dance music made by people, a lot of whom didn't come out of the dance scene. They brought their influences with them and many of their influences were the things that this reviewer is complaining about. He should be seeing the path to Screamadelica, not just complaining that the album isn't Screamadelica.

Having said that, I don't love 'Sonic Flower Groove'. I remember loving the singles that preceded it and feeling a bit let down when the album came out. My favourite album of the C86 Byrds rip off bands was 'Storyteller' by the Razorcuts, which I think still stands up today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tudgjsj6nvo

Unsurprising, I love that too.

Incidentally, from listening through SFG when I went to find the link to post above, youtube's next offering was New Order's Power Lies and Corruption, which is another album that fans who discovered a band later in their career, will probably have trouble relating to.

First jangly bars of the first track are a pure joy.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Pharcydes Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde is also a classic with all those nice jazz samples. Another one is Digable Planets Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space) or the old Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince albums.

I was going to recommend Bizarre Ride too. Labcab also well worth a listen.

Sticking with the genre, I don't think any other hip hop group has managed to produce such a raw, visceral album as Wutang's 36 Chambers. I was 11 when I first heard it and I still love it today. They've had a few decent songs since but never reached the heights of their debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDZuGzEM2E

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sinatra at the Sands

Anita Baker - Rapture

Us3- Hand on the Torch

Paul Weller - Heavy Soul

Haggis Horns - Hot Damn!

Many many more......

Guru and Us3 - another vote for them from me.

Herr T is all over U2…

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here