Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic albums that totally passed you by

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My son bought me Disintegration by The Cure for my birthday last week. This totally passed me by. It came out when I was listening to no music, newish dad, new job looming, first house (the one I'm still in) just found but not bought, but plus the marriage, ahem, disintegrating. Crazy times.

Bloody hell. What did I miss? It is stunning. OMG.

Have you recently stumbled into something you really ought to have embraced years ago?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My son bought me Disintegration by The Cure for my birthday last week. This totally passed me by. It came out when I was listening to no music, newish dad, new job looming, first house (the one I'm still in) just found but not bought, but plus the marriage, ahem, disintegrating. Crazy times.

Have you recently stumbled into something you really ought to have embraced years ago?

Great birthday present :thumbsup:
The album came out 35 years ago on May 2nd. Radio 6 music was good that day

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It's an amazing album.
In answer to your question, Love Supreme.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Great album
Mine is Seamonsters by the Wedding Present. It didn't pass me by but I didn't like it and hardly listened to it when it first came out. Got back into it recently and it is actually a cracker. Had a lovely chat with the boy Gedge in Newcastle last month and am off to see them again in Stockton next month.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A couple of times on tour. I played this to our singer/guitarist whilst driving between gigs somewhere oop north during the mid 90s (he was probably in his late 40s). He immediately bought about a dozen copies that he gave to all his friends and family.

And another tour, early 2000s and travelling with our guitarist playing this

A week after we got back, he turned up with a huge Gretsch semi acoustic in white and gold and has had a great selection of Gretsch semi acoustics amongst his collection ever since :wink:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I posted exactly that and that album on a nsc thread in 2021 :love: .
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/bbc-radio-6-music.380402/page-8#post-10036810

Only finding out about on youtube in the last 4 years. Mrs.W bought the vinyl last Xmas.

In 1989 I was distracted in a relationship, I lost a bit of myself.

It starts with Plainsong, so uniquely special, the sumptuous sounds. Following by beautiful love songs, Robert Smith is a genius.

The other one for me, also 1989, what was I thinking? I’d been nuts on Joy Division and New Order since 1980.

Last edited:

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I posted exactly that and that album on a similar nsc thread about a year ago :love: . Only finding out about on youtube in the last 4 years. Mrs.W bought the vinyl last Xmas.

It starts with Plainsong, so uniquely special, the sumptuous sounds. Following by beautiful love songs, Robert Smith is a genius.

The other one for me, also 1989, what was I thinking? I’d been nuts on Joy Division and New Order since 1980.

I've found very few albums faultless, even amongst my all time favourites, but Technique is one of them. An absolute slice of sumptuous electro perfection.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not an Album - but when Elbow released The Seldom Seen Kid, I simply couldn't understand how they had released three albums already without me hearing about them.

Following the 6 Music day (above) I relistened to Disintegration whilst doing some painting & decorating - I'd forgotten just how good it was.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There’s a lot of artists and albums which passed me by at the time. Bowie and Talking Heads are two big names. Whilst I was familiar with their hits, and also their history due to reading a lot about music, I didn’t know their albums that well. @Machiavelli mentioned Love Supreme, this is an album I have only just recently listened to. Similar with Alice Contrane’s Journey in Satchidananda and Sonny Rollins The Bridge (I am new to this genre.)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I posted exactly that and that album on a nsc thread in 2021 :love: .
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/bbc-radio-6-music.380402/page-8#post-10036810

Only finding out about on youtube in the last 4 years. Mrs.W bought the vinyl last Xmas.

How unsurprising, since we seem to get along so well :lolol:

Incidentally I managed to dig our the Warsaw album from somewhere a few years ago. Youtube probably. Basically Joy Division, and lots of their songs later tweaked. But not a classic...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've found very few albums faultless, even amongst my all time favourites, but Technique is one of them. An absolute slice of sumptuous electro perfection.

I’m fussy, I skip album tracks I’ve never warmed to even by my favourite artists.

Other albums that imho are faultless ….
Flesh and Blood
All Things Must Pass
Tommy
Dare
Unknown Pleasures

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Clash’s Sandinista passed me by at the time of release. I listened to it, didn’t like or get it, but decades later re-visited it and now love it.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
There’s a lot of artists and albums which passed me by at the time. Bowie and Talking Heads are two big names. Whilst I was familiar with their hits, and also their history due to reading a lot about music, I didn’t know their albums that well. @Machiavelli mentioned Love Supreme, this is an album I have only just recently listened to. Similar with Alice Contrane’s Journey in Satchidananda and Sonny Rollins The Bridge (I am new to this genre.)
As a teenager Talking Heads passed my by too, they actually felt too mainstream in my obsession of indie and post punk music, Chameleons, Joy Division etc, a genre they should really fallen into with me and I now appreciate their music.

Along with Alice Coltrane I'd recommend the music of Pharoah Sanders, one of John's prodigys

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, and of course Nick Cave. Again I knew a lot about him but never listened to his music. Then I met my now wife who introduced him to my ears. I now have a lot of his albums and seen him live many times since.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How unsurprising, since we seem to get along so well :lolol:

Incidentally I managed to dig our the Warsaw album from somewhere a few years ago. Youtube probably. Basically Joy Division, and lots of their songs later tweaked. But not a classic...

So much music to play. Thank you mankind :lolol: . You’ve reminded me that I haven’t played Still for years, something to do tomorrow in between listening to Vennells facing a different kind of music.

What do you think of Robert Smith, not the E. variety? To me he’s musical god.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Lots of Dylan albums are quoted as Classics but I dislike his voice so much have never bothered with them. My loss I suppose...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits.

At the time I thought they were very MOR and couldn't see the appeal. I prety much ignored them. Nowadays I can see how incredibly talented they were.

Same here, I loathed them especially because my Dad liked them in a phase when we didn’t get on. The transatlantic rock thing and taking it all very seriously. Then I discovered that title track, very special, including live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here