Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Claridge: 'Ref's decision could cost Boro promotion'

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I wonder how long it will be before we see a club attempting legal action on an official. Not after a game like last night, but say that had happened in the last minute of the play-off final, arguably depriving the club of millions.......

The club wouldn't have a leg to stand on because they would have to prove, "on the balance of probabilities", that the incorrect decision alone was responsible for losing the game. Ignoring the previous 89 minutes of the game, all the mistakes, missed chances and squandered opportunities, this one decision on its own directly led to the club losing out on a shed-load of extra revenue. The burden of proof is on the club, and they wouldn't be able to.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I wonder how long it will be before we see a club attempting legal action on an official. Not after a game like last night, but say that had happened in the last minute of the play-off final, arguably depriving the club of millions.......

It has already happened : The year Sheff Utd got relegated instead of West Ham when West Ham had played Tevez who scored the goal which kept West Ham up. He was later deemed to an illegible player at the time.

Sheff Utd were taking legal action against the League because the did not dock West Ham 3 points........................The court action was only averted by Sheff Utd settling out of court by a lump sum payment.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove

I won't happen. What would the legal action be for? You can't sue for making a mistake, that is a huge part of the game. The only legal reason you would have is if you could prove an official gave a wrong decision on purpose.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
It has already happened : The year Sheff Utd got relegated instead of West Ham when West Ham had played Tevez who scored the goal which kept West Ham up. He was later deemed to an illegible player at the time.

Sheff Utd were taking legal action against the League because the did not dock West Ham 3 points........................The court action was only averted by Sheff Utd settling out of court by a lump sum payment.

That was a breach of the rules, not a mistake during a match. Completely different situation.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This quote illustrates one of my bug bears in football.

It wasn't the referee's decision to give offside, but his assistant. It's always the assistant. I'm not sure I've ever seen a referee refuse to give a free-kick when an offside flag is raised, simply because he disagrees. A referee is rarely (possibly never) well-placed to decide whether a player is off-side or not.

Calling off-side is the primary purpose of the assistants.

And the ref's decision not to send off Barton could cost Brighton promotion.

So boo hoo Middlesbrough :lolol:

With respect to all, who gives a toss about Boro or even Burnley.
Nobody had or has given Brighton a chance, 'that little club on the coast'
Bollox to the lot of them.
Its all blue and white for me. :)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Volt yellow for the Middlesbrough game, perfect.

image.jpeg

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
He was offside when the original free kick was taken, but not interfering with play. The flag was late.
The Birmingham keeper palmed the shot onto the crossbar so it was a great save. He had already gifted them a goal, so that evened itself out.

You are right, there's no such thing as not interfering with play anymore. It's 'seeking to gain an advantage'. He was offside initially, his position when he recieved the ball was irrelevant. This season the rule changed back to the more traditional sense of offside. I shouted offside as soon as I saw him score. I then thought bugger, those lucky b'stards had got away with it, until thankfully I saw the flag, it was late, but it was offside.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
You have to feel for the Lino. He has made an honest error that cost a goal.
In his head at that time he knew the player was offside, hence the flag. He cannot give his side of events which is a shame.
He's not bent or corrupted, no brown bags crossed the table, just an honest working mistake.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
What about our decisions?

Barton two red cards missed out.

Yes - I can't stop dwelling on this. If he'd been sent off, we'd [probably...] be a point clear of Boro, and 4 points clear of Burnley - meaning that if we beat Derby, not only would we get promotion, but win the championship as well.

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
What about our decisions?

Derby penalty dodgy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You mean the one where Dunk tried a sliding tackle at full pelt in the penalty area half a second after Russell had crossed the ball which forced Russell to take evasive action in order to avoid getting another broken leg?

The only controversial thing about that penalty is that you don't often see them given.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
You mean the one where Dunk tried a sliding tackle at full pelt in the penalty area half a second after Russell had crossed the ball which forced Russell to take evasive action in order to avoid getting another broken leg?

The only controversial thing about that penalty is that you don't often see them given.

I'm talking about the one where Greer touched your player after the ball was in the middle of the area. Not sure what you're on about. Why on earth are you on a Brighton forum?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Dunk? Were you there? Drunk? Or just guessing?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Come on...Russell dived... He is worse than Zahahahahahah :wink:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes - I can't stop dwelling on this. If he'd been sent off, we'd [probably...] be a point clear of Boro, and 4 points clear of Burnley - meaning that if we beat Derby, not only would we get promotion, but win the championship as well.

Wrong. 3 clear of Burnley, meaning we couldn't win the Championship v Derby (but still could on Monday after Burnley have played like)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Broken leg? He slid in and it's debatable that there was even contact. You give that, you give 10 extra pens a season. (Greer btw). Greers' momentum to block the cross (yes block) took him into your fella of memory serves me right (if indeed there was contact. Awful decision.

You give Dunks one against Burnley, and you get 30 extra pens per season per team. It's that simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here