Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Clapping while singing "Sussex By The Sea"

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
This deserves its own thread.

I was one of the main driving forces behind the campaign that ended up with us singing the proper words to Sussex By The Sea.

That success is magnificent. It is so much better at The Amex and even better when done by our away fans.

But needed now is a similarly successful campaign to GET RID OF THE CLAP...!

Other clubs - notably Tottenham, Southampton, Liverpool and there are others - have worked out their anthems sound 100 times better when sung slower and without clapping.

Why can't we do the same? The fans representatives could play a role. It would need to be engineered for a while - but would quickly be established as the norm from which only a few real weirdos deviated.
Slower? All the best with that!! Loving your ambition.

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
As a matter of interest (or not), in the days before Norman Wisdom created his version It was necessary to listen to what the crowd was singing to learn the words. It was generally a bit muffled so I sang ‘ you can tell them all that we play football, in Sussex by the sea’. It is so ingrained that I still want to sing that instead of ‘Stand or fall’. Due to my age I need the words on screen as a reminder and I also like to clap along in time to the music.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Do we still need the two large karaoke screens :facepalm: tinpot
I’d get rid of that but keep the words on the hoardings for the hard of thinking, where it’s all a bit less obvious.

Failing that we could get a singer to belt it out from the centre circle every game - someone classy like that woman who goes on all the cruises, she’s a singer isn’t she?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here