Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What a very odd and worrying world we live in.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-woman-named-and-shamed-by-neighbours-on-facebook-for-not-joining-clap-for-carers-11978192

nhs.JPG

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I have not joined in with the clapping yet and I don't think I will.

I have a huge amount of respect for our NHS staff and all of the key workers and I am massively grateful for their hard work during this pandemic, but I just don't feel the need to stand on my door step and clap or bang a saucepan.

As a key worker myself, I do not feel the need to be clapped.

I have thanked the few NHS workers that I have bumped into whilst out at work and I always make a point of thanking the supermarket staff whilst doing the weekly shop.

Maybe I will be shamed on mumsnet, but I don't care because I know how grateful I am and me banging a saucepan will not make me more grateful.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

I have a huge amount of respect for our NHS staff and all of the key workers and I am massively grateful for their hard work during this pandemic, but I just don't feel the need to stand on my door step and clap or bang a saucepan.

I have thanked the few NHS workers that I have bumped into whilst out at work and I always make a point of thanking the supermarket staff whilst doing the weekly shop.

Maybe I will be shamed on mumsnet, but I don't care because I know how grateful I am and me banging a saucepan will not make me more grateful.

A key worker myself I also don't do it and echo everything in your post, well put.

A friend who is a nurse says he hides behind his sofa if he's home and not working at 8pm on a Thursday :D

Our differences is what makes the world turn. What annoys me about curtain twitcher judgements made about those who don’t come out and clap is that people have no idea what goes on in people's lives. Another friend of mine is agoraphobic and suffers with bad anxiety so doesn’t do it, as much as he’d like to.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Not arguing with what you say apart from the line in bold! I'm not aware of any NHS worker who feels the 'need' to be clapped. Sure, most appreciate it but they haven't asked for it or insisted it is done every Thursday!

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
They all must live such perfect lives...hmm

Mine's about three families up the other end. Or so I'm told. I'm usually watching telly so don't hear.

Unfortunately this bullying for not participating was inevitable. Turn the NHS into a religion and it'll need some heretics to lambast. Most people treat the clapping in a good-natured way in the spirit intended but on TV you see the odd steely-eyed fanatic who claps a bit too vigorously, their elbows rigid. Not hard to imagine them denouncing others.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
This

I’m sure the NHS staff know we all think they are doing a great job so what about give a fiver Thursday rather than the look at me and take a video of it show of support?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
On a Friday the local BBC news has various clips filmed at 8PM on a Thursday, fair play to the people just simply clapping, and nothing wrong with banging a wooden spoon on a saucepan, kids seem to enjoy this.
One thing I've noticed is some people playing a keyboard, flute etc on their doorstep, I can't help thinking it's not about you when I see them.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
On a Friday the local BBC news has various clips filmed at 8PM on a Thursday, fair play to the people just simply clapping, and nothing wrong with banging a wooden spoon on a saucepan, kids seem to enjoy this.
One thing I've noticed is some people playing a keyboard, flute etc on their doorstep, I can't help thinking it's not about you when I see them.

We've had a growing turnout in our Road. Last week a couple stood on their doorstep with a guitar and sung, this week, their neighbours joined in with a recorder, double bass and tambourine. It was great - and as they continued for a while, it meant that there were quite a number of people all having a chat (at a distance). Really quite a good atmosphere about it all.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We've had a growing turnout in our Road. Last week a couple stood on their doorstep with a guitar and sung, this week, their neighbours joined in with a recorder, double bass and tambourine. It was great - and as they continued for a while, it meant that there were quite a number of people all having a chat (at a distance). Really quite a good atmosphere about it all.

If you enjoyed it and all got on the fair play, your road can form a band :smile:

I think when I've seen a whole street just clapping and in the middle is a couple of musicians, I think to myself why?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Siren heard again in Shoreham ....numbers trending down a tad....I’d like to see some ideas from government on how NHS staff will be recognised/rewarded....and in time how maybe we all see its future ...those waiting lists must be taking a hammering :whistle:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Went for a walk at five to eight tonight. felt like the queen, all that applause

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If you enjoyed it and all got on the fair play, your road can form a band :smile:

I think when I've seen a whole street just clapping and in the middle is a couple of musicians, I think to myself why?

Why, are you joking ? everyone is clapping our heros in the NHS because at the moment they are working round the clock in a dangerous situation to keep us/public well/alive.

IMO and most others a compelling reason to get out and applaud.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mine's about three families up the other end. Or so I'm told. I'm usually watching telly so don't hear.

Unfortunately this bullying for not participating was inevitable. Turn the NHS into a religion and it'll need some heretics to lambast. Most people treat the clapping in a good-natured way in the spirit intended but on TV you see the odd steely-eyed fanatic who claps a bit too vigorously, their elbows rigid. Not hard to imagine them denouncing others.

I'm quite happy to do my share of clapping but it does seem a bit like everyone is watching one another to see who quits first.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Why, are you joking ? everyone is clapping our heros in the NHS because at the moment they are working round the clock in a dangerous situation to keep us/public well/alive.

IMO and most others a compelling reason to get out and applaud.

Can you please read posts #363 #364 #365 in order and then explain to me your exact point, because you have lost me here.

Thanks

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went for a walk at five to eight tonight. felt like the queen, all that applause

It's a bit of a social down our street. People tend to head out early if it's nice and yell their business across the street, The turnout is excellent but it's very much about breaking the monotony of lockdown rather than anyone particularly thinking of the NHS.

I say that to set a scene.

As everyone burst into clapping an Uber Eats bicycle courier had just dropped off a meal at the end of our road. He got to ride all the way down our road through a tunnel of applause, banged colanders and whooping. To his credit he got his head down and did his best TDF sprint finish.

If that doesn't make the chap want to take up cycling professionally, nothing will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports