Civil War Brewing in the Ukraine?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Its amazing how the Russians, sorry,Putin, can do pretty much as he pleases. Obama is a laughing stock and the UN is a complete waste of space. I read yesterday that two prominent Ukrainian anti Russian leaders were arrested by Russian " security " men and have disappeared. They may come up with some trumped up charges or carry on as now just denying the men's existence. Either way the Russians are unstoppable. Sooner or later the Russian provacation will result in Ukrainian forces shooting and the Russians will get the excuse they want to invade. It will be a nice measured invasion, just enough to secure the Crimea and the parts of East Ukraine they want. Then they will stand their forces down and start a long long period of " negotiation ", leaving a large force to " maintain peace " and there is nothing that anyone can do.

The way to stop Putin is to embago his gas and oil sales and watch his economy crumble to dust.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like The Crimea has voted to become part of Russia with at least 90% of the turnout of 110% voting to join. The official application to join will take place on Monday and the votes will be counted from Tuesday onwards. Gotta love Russian democracy !

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Time to start digging that bomb shelter...

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Looks like The Crimea has voted to become part of Russia with at least 90% of the turnout of 110% voting to join. The official application to join will take place on Monday and the votes will be counted from Tuesday onwards. Gotta love Russian democracy !

At least they had a vote , more than the self appointed government in Kiev .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Ukrainian presidential elections are set for May rather than being rushed through in a few days.

The parliament is as before.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
At least they had a vote , more than the self appointed government in Kiev .

The current Government voted to kick out the president, voting for a a new president shortly.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The current Government voted to kick out the president, voting for a a new president shortly.

Yes the President who had appointed his cronys to the judiciary, who then removed the power of Parliament to get rid of him. All very dodgy.

Hence the return to the previous constitution and Parliament kicking him out. Elections in May.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Yep , elections in May , let the people decide what they want , about time ! Still strange how they seem to be welcomed with open arms to the EU , yet Scotland if they become independent have been told it may take years to join . Hypocrites !

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yep , elections in May , let the people decide what they want , about time ! Still strange how they seem to be welcomed with open arms to the EU , yet Scotland if they become independent have been told it may take years to join . Hypocrites !

Perhaps its cause the Ukranian accent is easier to understand.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I don't know where you are getting this nonsense about Ukraine rapidly joining the EU. Possibly RT News ( Putin TV ) ?

It takes years for anyone to join. There is no way around this.

Serbia is starting the initial process and they are years away.

Turkey began the process in 2005 and still isn't a member.

Yet it seems you believe it has been offered and already accepted in Kyiv by unaminous support in a non-existent vote ???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You can just see Khrushchev, Brezhnev and Stalin all looking down (or up!) saying ' ah Putin, that's my boy. A return to the good old days!'

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The way to stop Putin is to embago his gas and oil sales and watch his economy crumble to dust.
Exactly,............ the US has already said it can supply what Russia does, ( I guess they would love the business), but the principle is sound, starve them out,.... its a corrupt, sham democracy, Putin is a clown of the highest order, flexing his jingoistic muscles to fan the flames of nationalism in Russia, he knows Russians love to look to the motherland in a crisis.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Written by that well known apologist Pepe Escobar, fresh from his regular appearances on Russia's RT network, Iran's PressTV, Al Jazeera's The Stream and The Voice of Russia's Burning Point............. go figure.

helps balance out this threads' pro-west propaganda cheerleaders.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
To be fair the USA also exists as a corrupt, sham democracy and its imperialistic conquests are a lot less peaceful and democratic than how Russia has handled Crimea.

Yep agree with this, we all saw the way the US flattened Iraq, encouraged the uprisings in Egypt that have now reversed back from the Muslim Brotherhood, encouraged the uprising in Libya and bombed the country, encouraged the uprising in Syria and supported the rebels.

Of course these countries weren't perfect but they are in a far worse situation now. Some of the world’s best educated people and doctors came from these regions and the US has bombed them and their infrastructure back to the 19th century. It looks like the US has a divide and conqer policy and it's a shame that our government has gone along with it.

I can understand why Russia don’t want to give Crimea away, it is their gateway to the Black Sea and Mediterranean and is as important to them strategically as what Gibraltar is to us.

Anyway the US cannot fall out with Russia too much because they wouldn’t have any transport to the International Space Station.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
helps balance out this threads' pro-west propaganda cheerleaders.
I am not going to prolong my involvement in this thread, I will simply say that if you measure yourself and your beliefs by that article, laden as it is with empty rhetoric, half-truths and carefully manicured assumptions, then my decision to abandon ship is justified, ... I am off,..... before Mustafa joins in and tells us all again that everything bad that has happened on this planet is the fault of the USA, Israel, Margaret Thatcher and the Daily Mail...... and that Stalin, Mao Tse Tung and Pol Pot were just misunderstood, they just had deprived childhoods and the social services didnt give them enough support.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports