Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Civil War Brewing in the Ukraine?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I think you're right.

Both side need a win here, or it will be a war which settles it.

All over the world, there is trouble and strife for different reasons, and a war or wars, somewhere, are brewing. And Britain has sold herself to the highest bidder and left us truly vulnerable.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
It's quite funny how the EU is welcoming West Ukraine with open arms yet if Scotland becomes independent they are not quite so keen :lolol:

Scotland is too poor and too small to contribute to the EU without the backing of Big Sister England, Cousin Wales the Bank of England and the pound. The Crimea is huge with massive resources. There is no comparison.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Scotland is too poor and too small to contribute to the EU without the backing of Big Sister England, Cousin Wales the Bank of England and the pound. The Crimea is huge with massive resources. There is no comparison.

Scotland is bigger than Crimea

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If we cut Russia off, we lose our coal and gas supplies from Russia.

That doesn't matter really ( in the overall picture ), as Europe at this time has record high reserves, and Norway would be able to step in after a few months to easily take up the shortfall in supply of Oil and Gas. Oh, and the Arabs still have a drop or 2 of Oil they'd love to sell.

In fact it would hurt the Russian economy massively and is maybe what it required.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Doing nothing has got a very poor prognosis just about everywhere.

So Putin and the Russians have put in an armed Police Force (to keep the peace). Doubtless, a long planned contingency plan.

Not one of those ineffective UN task force to keep determined nationalists and warlords from killing each other.

Optimistically, it might have a better prognosis than Yugoslavia ?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If we cut Russia off, we lose our coal and gas supplies from Russia.

....a third of it yes, though Russia's economy will collapse in a heap without those sales.....Putin can't afford it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The article is good " Old Time " communist rhetoric, almost in the same mould as the official output of North Korea. As for it's opinions on democracy and " counter-revolutionary overthrows ", I'm minded by Terry Pratchett,especially the character of The Patrician of Ankh-Morpork in his Discworld series of books, who, " firmly believed in One man-One Vote, just so long as he was the man and he had that vote " !

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
interesting.....but i apologise to many viewers that this is not from the daily mail, sun, guardian, or bbc.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/how-an...ed-a-coup-led-by-neo-nazis-in-ukraine/5371940

Err...you do know that the author of that piece is a Marxist-Leninist don't you? That he's a leading light in the Workers World Party, a pro-North Korean extreme left-wing party? That the Centre for Research on Globalisation has an awful lot of guest journalists from Russia Today?

Nice try.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It actually wouldnt matter whetehr there was truth in it or not. The takeover is by Ukrainians and therefore it is Ukrainians who should be left to sort it out. Whether there is American support or not there are no American soldiers in the Ukraine. There are Russian soldiers. If the Russians want to support the opposition then by all means do so but not by invading. This article in no way justifies Russia's actions.

Let's be clear. Everyone in Ukraine are Ukrainian citizens, regardless of where their descendents came from and as such are answerable to Ukrainian law. If every country in the world decided to send its troops in whenever people who looked like them and spoke the same lanaguage as them were unhappy we would have all been blown up years ago. This is exactly the same as Fascism.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The key with this situation is make sure it doesn't escalate. Sadly after the overthrow of an elected (no matter what you thought of it) government Putin's actions could hardly have been a surprise. To listen to John Kerry and William Hague talk about this 'invasion' on a thin pretext being unacceptable is quite frankly nauseating given our record of doing just that over the last decade or two on multiple occasions. How they can talk of democracy when they supported the coup in the first place is also hypocrisy of the highest order.

It is quite clear that there is massive divide in the Ukraine between those who look to the West and those who look to Russia, this is is not a simple good guy, bad guy narrative here. The best option for the Ukraine would have been to wait for elections and vote the govt out if that was what they wanted, or used parliament. The moment you circumnavigate parliamentary democracy then pretty much all bets are and you have to be prepared for a power vacuum.

For the record I cannot stand Putin, I think he is a vile dictator overseeing a country run by intolerance and corruption. However, he holds all the cards here, and to think otherwise is simply naive and dangerous. How this situation is dealt with requires careful diplomacy not bluster and sabre rattling.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The key with this situation is make sure it doesn't escalate. Sadly after the overthrow of an elected (no matter what you thought of it) government Putin's actions could hardly have been a surprise. To listen to John Kerry and William Hague talk about this 'invasion' on a thin pretext being unacceptable is quite frankly nauseating given our record of doing just that over the last decade or two on multiple occasions. How they can talk of democracy when they supported the coup in the first place is also hypocrisy of the highest order.

It is quite clear that there is massive divide in the Ukraine between those who look to the West and those who look to Russia, this is is not a simple good guy, bad guy narrative here. The best option for the Ukraine would have been to wait for elections and vote the govt out if that was what they wanted, or used parliament. The moment you circumnavigate parliamentary democracy then pretty much all bets are and you have to be prepared for a power vacuum.

For the record I cannot stand Putin, I think he is a vile dictator overseeing a country run by intolerance and corruption. However, he holds all the cards here, and to think otherwise is simply naive and dangerous. How this situation is dealt with requires careful diplomacy not bluster and sabre rattling.

As I said... just like 1938... peace in our time. Dont think for a minute that the government of Poland and Czech were all sweetness and light then. There was a serious Anti-Jew issue in Poland as well as a former military dictatorship and the Sudetens had some serious grievances, not unlike the Russo-Ukrainians. It would also be naive in the extreem to think we did not ahve evsted interests in those countries. The parallels ares eriously worrying.

All bets off is naive..... influencing and actually putting soldiers on the ground are very very different things.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
As I said... just like 1938... peace in our time. Dont think for a minute that the government of Poland and Czech were all sweetness and light then. There was a serious Anti-Jew issue in Poland as well as a former military dictatorship and the Sudetens had some serious grievances, not unlike the Russo-Ukrainians. It would also be naive in the extreem to think we did not ahve evsted interests in those countries. The parallels ares eriously worrying.

All bets off is naive..... influencing and actually putting soldiers on the ground are very very different things.

I'm afraid I do not see the parallel at all. Putin has acted in direct response to a western supported coup in Kiev. Russia obviously has a massive strategic interest in retaining control/influence over the Crimea where they already have naval bases. I do not sense any desire for Russia to steam roller their way through Europe. This dispute is a former Soviet Union matter, that requires a more nuanced response than the bellicose rhetoric of the idiot Hague and powerless Americans.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic

Good post ! I am sure a lot of Ukrainians didn't want this new government (mainly in the East) , wouldn't it be good and democratic if Hague and Kerry actually went to East Ukraine as well to get a different view of the situation from other Ukrainians , no such chance !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here