Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Civil Service jobs

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
I recently had a request for DWP to provide information about my NI contributions to the Austrian authorities (where I now live). It took 5 months to process. When it was eventually completed (the process actually took about 20 minutes) I was told that 5 months is normal and I should be pleased it hadn't taken longer.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’m guessing the reality of this will be cuts to police, refuse collection, and other essential services. While the Minister for Random Silly Ideas, the Secretary for Shouting at Foreigners and The Deputy Minister for the Office of Incredibly Urgent Matters will all probably receive a pay rise, a bonus and a new duck house.

and a hand built teak caravan at the bottom of the garden for blue sky thinking.:rolleyes:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’m guessing the reality of this will be cuts to police, refuse collection, and other essential services. While the Minister for Random Silly Ideas, the Secretary for Shouting at Foreigners and The Deputy Minister for the Office of Incredibly Urgent Matters will all probably receive a pay rise, a bonus and a new duck house.

Its all about finding enemies

Single mothers with flat screen tellies
EU Nationals
Fireman
Junior doctors
Teachers
Lefty Lawyers
Anyone at the BBC or CH4
Anyone daring to work from home

And on and on...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Exactly. Correct me if I'm wrong that about 3 times the total amount of civil servants than the EU employs.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

It's not really a great comparison. The EU does not have an MOD to run, a DWP to administer benefits, run job centres etc etc , nor a home office that is responsible for issuing passports etc etc.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Rees Mogg as just been made head of a Government Department which has never existed before. It seems to have been created just to give him a grand sounding Department, which will require hordes of Civil Servants to fill newly created jobs. Rather a strange way to make Civil Service savings.

The honourable member for the 18th century

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's not really a great comparison. The EU does not have an MOD to run, a DWP to administer benefits, run job centres etc etc , nor a home office that is responsible for issuing passports etc etc.
Not the point I'm making. Much was made of "EU bureaucracy" as a reason to leave the EU without much mention of our much bigger own.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Everyone keeps saying it's about reducing the levels to those of 2016 but that was only because over the previous 6 year the Gov had reduced the CS from the level it is now! Very much like the Police, they trying to gain kudos for adding 20k officers and ignoring the fact that they got rid of 21k when they came into power in 2010!!!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Everyone keeps saying it's about reducing the levels to those of 2016 but that was only because over the previous 6 year the Gov had reduced the CS from the level it is now! Very much like the Police, they trying to gain kudos for adding 20k officers and ignoring the fact that they got rid of 21k when they came into power in 2010!!!

Maybe they could ask some of the departing civil servants if they've ever fancied policing?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Exactly. Correct me if I'm wrong that about 3 times the total amount of civil servants than the EU employs.

I thought that cannot be correct but as you have said the UK employees 419,120 Civil Servants after increasing its numbers by 35,000 in 2016 to specifically to deal with Brexit

I then looked at the EU and they employ 32,000 Civil servants looking after 27 Nations 447 million pepole and that number includes Brexit!

Remember when the vote leave campaign was forever referencing the unelected EU Civil Servants, you could not make this up

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So will these people be sacked before the new technology is implemented, or after? Because we all know how well Government IT projects go. :facepalm:

What I suspect will happen is this.

The Government will hire a consultancy and that consultancy will recommend that processes are improved, software improved and, where possible, jobs are BPOd to the private sector with thousands of former public service employees TUPEing to the BPO company which happens to be, or have ties to, the consultancy. The jobs are still there (hence the OP being a bullshit question) but Rees-Mogg doesn't have to pick up the tab or look at an empty desk.

The BPO then needs to make its money and will set about looking for efficiencies so that they can reduce the headcount they just taken on. This project will be billed back to the government and will involve everyone who is scared about losing their job becoming "subject matter experts" in an IT programme that will be run on a waterfall basis, will have more compliance processes than people and will end up being delivered five years late, millions overbudget and with a reduced scope. The bill will be larger than the combined salaries outlined in the original efficiency plan.

All this shit will come to roost about a year after the next GE allowing Boris the option of campaigning on dog whistle slogans about sorting out immigration and useless lazy public servants and, if even that doesn't work and they lose the election, the Tories instead blame Labour for the failed software project.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
And as a result the delays in passports, driving licences, benefit applications, powers of attorney, immigration cases, airport queues at border control etc etc etc etc will grow.

Who do think are supposed to be doing all of these but can't because they haven't got enough people to do them?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Rees Mogg as just been made head of a Government Department which has never existed before. It seems to have been created just to give him a grand sounding Department, which will require hordes of Civil Servants to fill newly created jobs. Rather a strange way to make Civil Service savings.

Never existed? Is he now leading the Compliance Department?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I thought that cannot be correct but as you have said the UK employees 419,120 Civil Servants after increasing its numbers by 35,000 in 2016 to specifically to deal with Brexit

I then looked at the EU and they employ 32,000 Civil servants looking after 27 Nations 447 million pepole and that number includes Brexit!

Remember when the vote leave campaign was forever referencing the unelected EU Civil Servants, you could not make this up

Yet the first response from many is that it's outrageous / disgusting / morally wrong that any Government should attempt to cut numbers and their plans should be stopped. (some even call for more to be added to that Civil service staff to be recruited and added to that total)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I see you're fishing as usual, because the obvious answer is we can't manage with what we have today. Passport office has the biggest backlog in years and a government that were supposed to be fixing immigration and asylum are totally useless at it and appear to need to be bailed out by a Third World country.

Rees-Mogg was pushing this as cost saving on Today this morning. Well, the only way you're going to do more with less is to improve your processes and technology. Hands up who thinks he's factored in the the costs of software licences and consultancy in to these "savings" (though to be fair, with this load of charlatans there'll probably be a shit ton of baksheesh passed from pals of the party to ensure the contracts are given to the "right" people).

Absolute shower.

Several items regularly missed from the "savings" are: severance pay, loss of revenue from taxation/National insurance, costs of paying universal credit to those made redundant.
The headline number is always massively overstated.

The government saves far less money from making cuts, than it would make from trying to grow the economy.
Austerity policies don't work, they just serve a political agenda.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What I suspect will happen is this.

The Government will hire a consultancy and that consultancy will recommend that processes are improved, software improved and, where possible, jobs are BPOd to the private sector with thousands of former public service employees TUPEing to the BPO company which happens to be, or have ties to, the consultancy. The jobs are still there (hence the OP being a bullshit question) but Rees-Mogg doesn't have to pick up the tab or look at an empty desk.

The BPO then needs to make its money and will set about looking for efficiencies so that they can reduce the headcount they just taken on. This project will be billed back to the government and will involve everyone who is scared about losing their job becoming "subject matter experts" in an IT programme that will be run on a waterfall basis, will have more compliance processes than people and will end up being delivered five years late, millions overbudget and with a reduced scope. The bill will be larger than the combined salaries outlined in the original efficiency plan.

All this shit will come to roost about a year after the next GE allowing Boris the option of campaigning on dog whistle slogans about sorting out immigration and useless lazy public servants and, if even that doesn't work and they lose the election, the Tories instead blame Labour for the failed software project.

Very insightful, almost as if you've worked on Government contracts before :wink:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And as a result the delays in passports, driving licences, benefit applications, powers of attorney, immigration cases, airport queues at border control etc etc etc etc will grow.

Who do think are supposed to be doing all of these but can't because they haven't got enough people to do them?

I expect it’s a scare tactic to get people back into the office to speed these things up

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I used to work in the Civil Service in the Land Registry in Tunbridge Wells. Lasted 6 months, a lazier bunch of time wasting twonks I have never met. One person could have done the job of three or four of them. I finished my days allocation of work in an hour or so. The cheeky EO's then foisted the work of other people on me, most of whom were reading a book or the newspapers.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Well we can stop issuing provisional driving licenses as I understand from friends that it's impossible for the poor sods to actually book a driving test :shrug:

And HMRC are so efficient at collecting taxes and chasing up tax evasion that we must be able to cut a few thousand there :facepalm:

1667951349-dead-cat-clipart-1_opt.jpg

It's just today's dead cat to stop people focussing on the real issues, but shirley nobody is still so naïve that they would fall for it and defend it or start a thread on it ..... Oh :dunce:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Haven't got enough people to efficiently process these essential tasks currently. How is cutting numbers going to be of any benefit to anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here