Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Cinema organists of Brighton

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I'm doing a bit of research into some of the old cinema organists of Brighton, especially Terence / Terance Casey. He seems to have been a bit of a celebrity in the 30's and a couple of decades afterwards, including being a teacher for Douglas Reeve and recording a load of records, yet there's very little public info about him. There's an old family story which I suspect has him in it but there's a few details which would confirm it and it'd just be interesting to put a name/face to an anecdote. Thought I'd ask the hive mind of NSC as the collective wisdom seems impressively vast, and see if anyone has a copy of the out-of-print small book about him "Stars of the Console" or any idea where more info about him can be found? I'm hoping to go to The Keep when it reopens for a look around there too. Thanks :)

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
On the off-chance that you've not already found it during your research, appears in an old issue of Radio Times, incl some brief details on his career (top left corner of page)

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/page/73ad99d158004c5fad2ca9a0c652f27d?page=72

Thanks - yes, there's quite a lot of this very basic biographic info around about what he did, and there's recordings on YouTube, but I've not come across anything really about him as a person. There's a family story of what would have been around Christmas 1938 in Brighton which circumstantial digging around suggests may have been him connected with it, but one detail has the chap playing accordion on Brighton seafront a few years later, and I've not found anything about whether or not that's something he did (or even if he was in Brighton in December 1938 - he toured a lot). Most other details seem to fit, but as with a lot of families anecdotes can be vague so who knows. Just a bit of idle family history research really, but fun to do.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I'm doing a bit of research into some of the old cinema organists of Brighton, especially Terence / Terance Casey. He seems to have been a bit of a celebrity in the 30's and a couple of decades afterwards, including being a teacher for Douglas Reeve and recording a load of records, yet there's very little public info about him. There's an old family story which I suspect has him in it but there's a few details which would confirm it and it'd just be interesting to put a name/face to an anecdote. Thought I'd ask the hive mind of NSC as the collective wisdom seems impressively vast, and see if anyone has a copy of the out-of-print small book about him "Stars of the Console" or any idea where more info about him can be found? I'm hoping to go to The Keep when it reopens for a look around there too. Thanks :)

The Keep is a wonderful trove of information and the staff are very helpful in my experience.

https://www.thekeep.info/collections/getrecord/GB179_ARG_11_8_108

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
organ.gif

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The person I contacted said his uncle used to talk about him; he said he thinks he used to play at one of The Regent, The Astoria or The Savoy at the south end of East Street. He did not have anymore information on him as Cinema organists were not his specific area but said The Keep probably would have information on him and “always found the staff helpful way beyond the call of duty; they obviously love their jobs.”

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Remember going on holiday to Sandford Park in Dorset as a kid and they had a Wurlitzer under the stage that would rise up with the bloke playing. I remember that and the adults having cocktails with sparklers in. That is the 70s/80s right there.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Remember going on holiday to Sandford Park in Dorset as a kid and they had a Wurlitzer under the stage that would rise up with the bloke playing. I remember that and the adults having cocktails with sparklers in. That is the 70s/80s right there.

There’s a Steam Museum in Thursford, Norfolk that has a resident organist who plays a Wurlitzer, very camp and good fun.
https://www.thursford.com/steam-museum/

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
The person I contacted said his uncle used to talk about him; he said he thinks he used to play at one of The Regent, The Astoria or The Savoy at the south end of East Street. He did not have anymore information on him as Cinema organists were not his specific area but said The Keep probably would have information on him and “always found the staff helpful way beyond the call of duty; they obviously love their jobs.”

Thanks, appreciate your help. The Keep reopens next week so I'll head there and see what I can find.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

My old class mate and former bass player in our little rock band (first gig at the Clair Hall in Haywards's Heath), Neil Brand, may be a source of info (he has a contact link at the bottom of his page):

https://www.neilbrand.com/

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've been in quite a few bands with organ players. MOst of them knew the 5 knuckle shuffle very well. Jon Bon Tempi was a notable one, and the Casio Kid.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hello Happy Exile, I hope you find this of interest.
One of my favourite places in Cornwall is an establishment called Marvellous Music Machines.
I discovered it as I was exploring the wooded valley between Liskeard and Looe, it is on the single Looe Valley Line at the wonderfully named St Keyne Wishing Well Halt.
The man that runs it is a real gent and so enthusiastic.
Its like a Museum to Wurlitzers, he will play it or you can play them if you are able.
Here is the thing though, the main Wurlitzer is the original and genuine organ from The Regent in Brighton with all its history.
Its a wonderful place in a beautiful back water location.
Check out his website, if you contact him I am sure he will know so much and will delight in talk8ng to you.
I will post a You Tube shortly.
My Dad plays Organ, Piano and keyboard for many years, moving to Eastbourne he has entertained in hotels, clubs and old folks homes until recently.
Sadly Mum died last year and Dad is now in a care home in Bexhill, yet at 91 with Parkinsons he still plays every day to the residents, who insist that he plays their requests, its the only time that his hands dont shake.
If I could somehow get him down to the Organ museum before he passes it would give him so much pleasure as he loved Wurlitzers.
Anyway I hope this is of interest The Brighton Regent Wurlitzer takes pride of place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here