Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Christmas Present Hunting for kids

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry this is VERY Mumsnet, but wanted to know if anyone had advice on best places to look, deals/bargains being found anywhere?

Mellotron Jnr has his heart set on a Nintendo Switch - buying new is a bit steep for our budget, but used on Facebook Marketplace brings scammers and all sorts of stuff that you don't always want to deal with.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sorry this is VERY Mumsnet, but wanted to know if anyone had advice on best places to look, deals/bargains being found anywhere?

Mellotron Jnr has his heart set on a Nintendo Switch - buying new is a bit steep for our budget, but used on Facebook Marketplace brings scammers and all sorts of stuff that you don't always want to deal with.
Loads on eBay

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

I find CEX good for 2nd hand technology. Their grading of condition errs on the side of caution and I've bought things off them before that they've rated as having clear signs of use and I've struggled to see where. Pretty sure everything comes with a warranty too. The website shows where things are in stock - if this link works it'll show you all the Switches in their Brighton stores so you can see what you're buying rather than chance it online:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Right then here's one, potential SCAMWATCH;

I've found a decent deal for a switch on FB marketplace - person seeeeems legit, but they're asking to be paid in Amazon Vouchers - the logic being that you get the full value (she said it's going on amazon stuff anyway) rather than paypal etc taking a cut.

Thoughts? Feelings?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I've found a decent deal for a switch on FB marketplace - person seeeeems legit, but they're asking to be paid in Amazon Vouchers - the logic being that you get the full value (she said it's going on amazon stuff anyway) rather than paypal etc taking a cut.

Thoughts? Feelings?

If you Paypal her as Friends and Family, that negates the cut doesn't it?

Vouchers sounds a bit untraceable for my liking.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
If you Paypal her as Friends and Family, that negates the cut doesn't it?

Vouchers sounds a bit untraceable for my liking.
The danger of Paypal friends & family is, I think, that there's no recourse if they just keep the money and don't send you anything whereas if it's "normal" Paypal where they take a cut then you can apply for a refund if you're scammed. Vouchers sounds like a way of avoiding tax at best.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Thoughts? Feelings?
I'm not sure I'd trust FB Marketplace unless I was picking something up in person and handing over cash (or transferring money when there)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As above pretty much - you want to be picking up the item in person BEFORE payment of any kind is made.

I probably wouldn't have any great issue paying someone with some form of electronic payment, doing so from their front room when I have the item in my hands, and have checked it over etc.

I suspect your seller will ask you to pay in advance and you'll then never hear from them again.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As above pretty much - you want to be picking up the item in person BEFORE payment of any kind is made.

I probably wouldn't have any great issue paying someone with some form of electronic payment, doing so from their front room when I have the item in my hands, and have checked it over etc.

I suspect your seller will ask you to pay in advance and you'll then never hear from them again.
I've avoided the amazon voucher person.

Now there's another who seems more legit, but yes is asking me to go the friends and family route on PayPal as it saves fees and means the money isn't held for 7 days...says they will post the moment the money is through, and will send proof of postage.

Agreed on the pick up in person thing, just not finding anyone local at a decent price.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Now there's another who seems more legit, but yes is asking me to go the friends and family route on PayPal as it saves fees and means the money isn't held for 7 days...says they will post the moment the money is through, and will send proof of postage.

Agreed on the pick up in person thing, just not finding anyone local at a decent price.
No - massive red flags all round there.

Local pick-up only.

Or eBay which will give you buyer protection.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

Proof of postage is not proof of posting a switch. If you're going to get one posted better to go on ebay as at least you get some sort of protection. I wouldn't buy anything like that on fb, unless I was going to collect it myself.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Nintendo Switch Lite Turquoise for £167.99 if you're QUICK.

Use code WELCOME20

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nintendo Switch Lite Turquoise for £167.99 if you're QUICK.

Use code WELCOME20

Thanks for your attempts to get this to my attention. Now back at over £200 but appreciate it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Code still works
IMG_3532.png

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023

If you can get into a town somewhere with a Cex shop, they are worth trying and think will come with 12 months guarantee.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Does the code WELCOME20 not work for you?
Ah yes it does, but then I’ve realised that the Switch Lite is the one you can’t plug into the telly - I should’ve specified that’s the one we’re after.

Although I’m still very tempted by this, so thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here