Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christmas Island (Pacific) Nuclear Test Veterans

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’ve just completed an application for my late father for the Nuclear Test medal, I wondered if there are other folk on here who have done the same and any stories they could share on behalf of relatives who served on Christmas Island during these tests.

My father joined the RAF as part of his National Service and was posted there in 1958, I wish I had asked more questions about his service when he was alive as knowing what I know now it must of been an awful experience being posted there!! I do know the route to get there in a Dakota apparently was Croydon Airport- Newfoundland-San My Francisco-Honolulu-Christmas Island , must have been quite a trip for a young man back then! My dad is the tall guy at the end on the left of photo
IMG_0703.jpeg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My cousin Stuart was in the RAF and was a participant in the tests. His health declined in his late 40s and died of cancer when he was 52/53. He had no dependents so there's no compensation due, but it would be small beer for a ruined life.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My cousin Stuart was in the RAF and was a participant in the tests. His health declined in his late 40s and died of cancer when he was 52/53. He had no dependents so there's no compensation due, but it would be small beer for a ruined life.
There seems to be more and more evidence of health issues both ongoing and regrettably historic !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve just completed an application for my late father for the Nuclear Test medal, I wondered if there are other folk on here who have done the same and any stories they could share on behalf of relatives who served on Christmas Island during these tests.

My father joined the RAF as part of his National Service and was posted there in 1958, I wish I had asked more questions about his service when he was alive as knowing what I know now it must of been an awful experience being posted there!! I do know the route to get there in a Dakota apparently was Croydon Airport- Newfoundland-San My Francisco-Honolulu-Christmas Island , must have been quite a trip for a young man back then! My dad is the tall guy at the end on the left of photo View attachment 164411
Great photograph .

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Great photograph .
I’ve just found 3 packets of old photos from the island which I’m looking through, most of the lads due to the secrecy of the tests genuinely thought they had hit the jackpot with an overseas ‘tropical’ first posting!

The poor Islanders didn’t fare much better either!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Thanks @Chicken Run for piquing my interest, I was aware of Christmas Island at a high level but I have read up on this page to get a better understanding of the sequence of events etc.

If you don't mind me asking, when did your father pass and what was the cause?
Passed in 2010 bless him, the DC said Pulmonary Embolism, he went to bed one night and didn’t wake up 🥲

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve just found 3 packets of old photos from the island which I’m looking through, most of the lads due to the secrecy of the tests genuinely thought they had hit the jackpot with an overseas ‘tropical’ first posting!

The poor Islanders didn’t fare much better either!
It’s not a part of history that I know much about. So to hear about it is fascinating. What a find though.

Please post more photographs if you feel comfortable doing so.

Inspired by this thread, I’ve just been looking through some of my grandfather’s photos. He was a forces clergyman out in Africa during WW2.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It’s not a part of history that I know much about. So to hear about it is fascinating. What a find though.

Please post more photographs if you feel comfortable doing so.

Inspired by this thread, I’ve just been looking through some of my grandfather’s photos. He was a forces clergyman out in Africa during WW2.
Looking through the old. black & Whites paints an image of whilst extremely difficult times for these men somehow life looked much simpler through the photos, they still managed to look jolly and full of spirit don’t they !

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
My father flew troops out there and back a number of times, on Air Charter Britannia aircraft from Stansted.
Various routes, some round the world, 1958-59.
He also flew rockets to Adelaide for testing at Woomera.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My father flew troops out there and back a number of times, on Air Charter Britannia aircraft from Stansted.
Various routes, some round the world, 1958-59.
He also flew rockets to Adelaide for testing at Woomera.
I did read that they used charter planes to transport troops, circa 22,000 served down there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here