Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas dinner. Advice etc.

My old grandmother ALWAYS insisted that Christmas dinner came with Yorkshire pudding - and not the light, crisp, fluffy, air-filled Yorkshires that are in vogue today, but a heavy, inch-thick slab of compressed batter, oozing with lard and gravy. And plenty of swede.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My old grandmother ALWAYS insisted that Christmas dinner came with Yorkshire pudding - and not the light, crisp, fluffy, air-filled Yorkshires that are in vogue today, but a heavy, inch-thick slab of compressed batter, oozing with lard and gravy. And plenty of swede.

That's fine, its called a Christmas Tradition. My Mother used to always insist we had to eat her home made Christmas Pudding as afters even though we were always stuffed and her pudding had the same density as a Black Hole.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
MY wife follows my grandmother in making a baked suet pudding for roast as opposed to the light airy fairy yorkshires. With your grandmother doing similar it is probably an age thing brought about by rationing and the war..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What are you blabbering about man ? Just cook a Turkey + trimmings + vegetables of choice + drink whatever you want to drink...simples.

Sprouts are mandatory but otherwise I agree.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Turkey, roast spuddies, sprouts (the uneaten ones can be put in the turkey-bones soup), carrots, peas or beans, little sausages wrapped in bacon, stuffing, cranberry sauce. Starter: what you fancy. Pud: Christmas pudding to be eaten in March when the Christmas cake is all used up.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Decent thread.

Cauliflower (with or without cheese sauce) is not a good choice. Broccoli is also a low priority. Mashed potatoes are a bit common.

What you should have (in rough order of importance):

Roast Turkey
Roast potatoes
Sprouts
Pigs in Blankets
Gravy
Bread Sauce
Roast Parsnips
Carrot & Swede Mash
Stuffing
Cranberry Sauce
Peas

after that you can chose from the likes of:

Leeks
Cabbage
Broccoli
Green beans
Curly kale

The Guvnor

Dec 16, 2013
Roast Turkey
Roast potatoes
Pigs in Blankets
Gravy
Roast Parsnips
Carrot & Swede Mash
Stuffing
Peas
Sweetcorn
Broccoli
Green beans

All on my plate washed down with a few glasses of wine during dinner and copious amounts after !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here