Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Christmas COVID rules fresh from the horses' mouths

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
On the other hand, if one of the group has it and it is picked up by the others, and they go off after the break back to their other bubbles, or continue to be non compliant, then that’s how it spreads, and spreads.
Ah well, perhaps it’s another example of how different people interpret the rules.
We're going to have a returning student on 12th or so and me working in London (unavoidable, regulatory reasons) for 1 day on the 14th. But after that we're going to be not meeting anyone until we travel on the 26th or so (much to the annoyance of one teenager). So we should be in the clear, providing we're not sick between those dates - which would force us to change plans.

In those circumstances, I don't think one extra morning will make much difference.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Damned if they do, and damned if they don't once again IMO.

The mental health and, horribly, suicide outfall of inflicting isolation over Christmas could be pretty considerable.

Give a strict set of no-mixing measures and a load of people go "**** that - it's Christmas and I'll do what I want", or loosen things with stated constraints, and hope most people follow the spirit.

And, of course, people don't have to go to the very limit of what is permitted. Would you rather see your loved ones this Christmas or the next 10 Christmases?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Strange announcement considering todays' reported death toll is at 608.........the highest since May 12th ?

Death is a lagging indicator by a good 2-3 weeks. Recorded deaths was always going to continue to rise through much of the lockdown period, due to the infections and hospitalisations that took place before.

The good news is that new hospitalisations now seem to be on the decline, which is what we'd expect given the commencement of Lockdown 2.

(Note: I'm not saying that the relaxation is a good thing, but today's newly-reported deaths isn't a good metric to help that assessment)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If my son comes home from University I am definetly inviting the mother-in-la round

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's good news for Turkey farmers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
People will do what they want regardless of what the government say, it’s as simple as that. The government live in a dream world where they think that this faux ‘rule’ gives them some power but in reality it simply doesn’t. How do they police it exactly? So I’ve been to 3 family members houses to deliver presents today, how would they know that unless they have 24hr surveillance?

By the way I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s utterly delusional of them to think this rule makes any difference, is anyone honestly going to tell me this rule would change their plans one way or another?

you're right the arse holes of the world will do as they please. the majority will follow the guidance, contain their visits and this will contain spread somewhat, so it'll make a difference despite the arse holes actions.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Death is a lagging indicator by a good 2-3 weeks. Recorded deaths was always going to continue to rise through much of the lockdown period, due to the infections and hospitalisations that took place before.

The good news is that new hospitalisations now seem to be on the decline, which is what we'd expect given the commencement of Lockdown 2.

(Note: I'm not saying that the relaxation is a good thing, but today's newly-reported deaths isn't a good metric to help that assessment)

There was another lockdown? Given the roads in the morning in London, there bloody wasn't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Damned if they do, and damned if they don't once again IMO.

The mental health and, horribly, suicide outfall of inflicting isolation over Christmas could be pretty considerable.

Give a strict set of no-mixing measures and a load of people go "**** that - it's Christmas and I'll do what I want", or loosen things with stated constraints, and hope most people follow the spirit.

And, of course, people don't have to go to the very limit of what is permitted. Would you rather see your loved ones this Christmas or the next 10 Christmases?

This.

There is no "right answer" for everyone. You can't police everyone's house, especially at Christmas and some would have broken strict rules anyway, while a free for all would have sent the wrong message.

It's going to be interesting in our family. My step dad is black, 80 and diabetic. He has been shielding and says he feels like he's walking around with a target on his back. Every Boxing Day we normally see the same friends for food, cocktails and dancing - they are mid 40s and very healthy with two kids with no health issues. We will definitely see my brother so, on the face of it, there's a choice between our normal family gathering, which my mum and kids will probably want but will put F-I-L in danger or telling my mum "sorry, we're bubbling with our friends on Boxing Day".

Add into the mix that if vaccination really does get going in December then F-I-L will be top of the list.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think it's about a proportionate balance. Being in a bubble of 3 families is exactly that. In my case it would mean my family, my parents and my wifes parents.

It means our family cant meet anyone else, my parents cant meet my sisters or brothers family, nor my wifes parents meeting anyone else.

Im not sure people have clocked the rigidity of the rules.

Within the rules it's all about the balance of risk, which only people can make. My wife and I work from home, we order food in, so basically are isolating anyway. I would say our risk of transmission is very low.

But, of course other people will interpret the rules far looser.

It's a judgement call. For some it might be easier than for others. But, if the Govt ruled out any visiting, then people would ignore it. At least their are rules to follow.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
None of our family are getting together this Christmas even though the rules say we can do. Better to be safe than sorry and it's only 1 year that we'll miss out.

Same here. I've got a huge extended family and so does the mrs and usually we'd spend loads of time visiting various branches of the family for get togethers (or they'd be visiting us). None of that happening this year but that's OK, plenty of time to make up for it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What ? If my mother in law comes around ?

No, just generally for Turkey farmers, how many of those 25lber's would they have sold to families of four self isolating ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's prob not going to change my plans for Crimbo, too many people to successfully " bubble " with and effectively remain within the rules, can't really even see my daughter and grandaughter either as they will have commitments to a bigger bubble.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's prob not going to change my plans for Crimbo, too many people to successfully " bubble " with and effectively remain within the rules, can't really even see my daughter and grandaughter either as they will have commitments to a bigger bubble

Fine way to describe your ex wife.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We have an Air BnB booked. The statement mentions only being at home. I wonder whether our booking will be cancelled.

Indeed. It's not very clear ( how unusual ! ). We have a cottage booked in Devon for 13 days - only three of us and all from the same household - no idea if we can go or not.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
People will do what they want regardless of what the government say, it’s as simple as that. The government live in a dream world where they think that this faux ‘rule’ gives them some power but in reality it simply doesn’t. How do they police it exactly? So I’ve been to 3 family members houses to deliver presents today, how would they know that unless they have 24hr surveillance?

By the way I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s utterly delusional of them to think this rule makes any difference, is anyone honestly going to tell me this rule would change their plans one way or another?

We broke the rule of six previous to lockdown and have also broken lockdown - police never turned up but kids were very happy to see their Grand Parents and vice versa.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Glad to see we've all agreed to turn Xmas into a five day kill zone.

Was writing my reply to Bozza's post when you posted this.

I don't see it as that bad for a number of reasons.

1) Some vaccinations should/would have happened by then
2) People would have met up anyway. This at least gives a moral and legal framework
3) You don't HAVE to. It's not compulsory.

As I posted, while it might annoy my mum we will probably choose to bubble with my brother and with one set of friends, all of whom are low risk, before returning to mostly isolating before the mass vaccination cavalry arrives.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We broke the rule of six previous to lockdown and have also broken lockdown - police never turned up but kids were very happy to see their Grand Parents and vice versa.

Must admit we have too .

Didn’t first one but this one done our own thing which has worked quite well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here