Christmas cards -- does anyone still send them?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
As long as we can afford to send them , then yes we will still send cards. I like to include a note to relatives/friends that I haven't seen during the year.

Probably about 70 or so I would guess, so at 50p for a second class stamp it adds up, although we do hand deliver probably half of them.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I look forward to giving and receiving a card for both Christmas and my birthday to me it shows that somebody cares and I take a lot of notice of the words that are in them. Last year one of my relations said that she wasnt sending any more and would do it on line, to which I replied to exclude me from your list and dont insult me by sending me an online card. If me or my wife dont mean sufficient to somebody to warrant a little thought in buying and sending a card dont bother at all.

So where do you stand on Moonpig/Funky Pigeon etc? It IS a sent card however takes little more time and thought than clicking a couple of keys on a keyboard.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mrs Hut by the shed load for some reason

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I look forward to giving and receiving a card for both Christmas and my birthday to me it shows that somebody cares and I take a lot of notice of the words that are in them. Last year one of my relations said that she wasnt sending any more and would do it on line, to which I replied to exclude me from your list and dont insult me by sending me an online card. If me or my wife dont mean sufficient to somebody to warrant a little thought in buying and sending a card dont bother at all.

That is the crux of it that somebody thinks of you if only for a few minutes when buying the card and reading the words contained in it If it is a box of stereo typed 25 cards just saying Happy Christmas dont bother.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We still send out about 80 cards a year and receive roughly the same number back. I've just written 5 cheques to go inside cards for nephews and nieces who are still under 18.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
We buy 70 and post almost all of them. We get about the same number back, generally full of messages, reminders of old friends, news and general chitchat. The people we know are worth the few quid our Christmas mail costs each year. On the other hand my sister-in-law tells me that she is just going to send email greetings this year: obviously the value to her of the people she knows is much lower. Sad really, but it's her choice.

I think that's good and traditional, but with email, social media and modern day communication I can see why many people don't send them.

The idea of cards is a fairly outdated concept in my humble opinion.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Waste of time and money, same as birthday cards.

I refuse to buy or send either, and encourage people not to send them to me.

Seconded. Cannot see the point in giving a piece of paper saying happy Christmas to someone I would see anyway.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yes, still send and receive dozens, although the postage cost is getting a bit silly now.
1 We like celebrating Christmas and it's part of the ritual
2 We do catch up with old friends although yes, lots of other ways of keeping in touch these days too
3 You can't beat a good laugh at some of the round robin newsletters :lolol:
4 Stringing them up around the house adds to the festive jollity

So :thumbsup: for Christmas cards and :vuvu: to the humbugs

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Used to write and send them religiously. But now decided to dispense with this annual tyranny. It took me ages to write them, the wife didn't care much for it and the people I want to keep in touch with, I do anyway. I predict the death of the Christmas card within 20 years, not least because the cost is prohibitive but also because the times are moving on and they'll soon be a historical footnote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports