Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton (permanent transfer to Ipswich)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Why specifically Fulham? On the assumption that they are headed for relegation, they will want to bounce straight back up next season, and to be honest they will be looking for someone with more credo than our 3rd choice keeper.

Sorry Christian but l think you may have to set your sights a little bit lower.

In our set up, our 3rd choice keeper is actually our second choice and Walton has plenty of solid Championship experience. Fulham could be a goer and although I stand to be corrected, didn't we sign Stockdale in similar circumstances from Fulham?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In our set up, our 3rd choice keeper is actually our second choice and Walton has plenty of solid Championship experience. Fulham could be a goer and although I stand to be corrected, didn't we sign Stockdale in similar circumstances from Fulham?

True, athough Stockdale was an established first teamer at Fulham, and had played a lot of games.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Why specifically Fulham? On the assumption that they are headed for relegation, they will want to bounce straight back up next season, and to be honest they will be looking for someone with more credo than our 3rd choice keeper.

Their current #1 is on loan to them from PSG.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Because Walton is plenty good enough to be first choice keeper in any Championship side, and even if they stay up Fulham will almost certainly need a replacement for Areola who is on a season loan and has been excellent, they like to play out and use the keeper as Walton will be used to, and it is probably an easy commute from his current home. I am not sure it is right to call him the 3rd choice keeper either, I realise that Steele is the one on the bench, but it wasn't Steele that pushed Ryan out. Where would you have placed Big Bob in the ranks of our keepers before he replaced Ryan?

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Unsurprising he wants to move on after plenty of first team action with loan clubs in the past few years and now finding himself 3rd choice. He'll probably be spoilt for choice getting fixed up somewhere at Championship level.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
True, athough Stockdale was an established first teamer at Fulham, and had played a lot of games.

Stockdale had only just established himself as a first teamer at Fulham when they were relegated and he signed for us. Previous to that final season he'd been out on loan 5 separate times. He only played as many times as he did that final season with them due to Stekelenburg picking up a couple of injuries. Apart from Stockdale having more PL experience their career paths have been quite similar.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It’s a shame for the lad that bar a dodgy injury he’d have been in Sanchez position. Clearly good enough for Championship and probably prem.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As expected, the club has triggered the one year option.

Norwich are rumoured to be interested.

Loud wrong from me, I certainly didn't think it was expected.

I thought the club would be waving him on with a 'thanks and good luck', instead of putting a price on his head

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe there is more interest in him than the club anticipated.

I guess if Norwich or one of the other promoted teams are in the running then that's a game changer.

The Albion are far from being in the position to help them by doing the right thing by Walton.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lets see if he gets sold or if the club just felt that sticking with the current trio was the most convenient way to solve next seasons GK situation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He stuck around because were it not for his pre season injury and Championship clubs being unable to commit to loan signings, he'd be in Sanchez' place now, while Big Bob was getting middling reviews from somewhere like Cardiff.
I doubt it (both suggestions).

I would expect Rushworth to be the next cab off the rank.
I agree - though much will depend on whether Rushworth or McGill go out on loan - both are pretty ripe for that, I would think, so we might need to get in a journeyman from somewhere.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Guess we are not too keen in letting him go to Norwich on a free.

Perhaps a Championship club won't have to pay a fee.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
We’ve triggered the 1 year option but there’s still interest in him? Are we hoping to gain a fee for him then? What’s the clubs thinking on this?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Christian Walton

We’ve triggered the 1 year option but there’s still interest in him? Are we hoping to gain a fee for him then? What’s the clubs thinking on this?

For the amount of money, time and effort the club has invested in his development, a sell-on fee with his new potential club is the least we should expect.

I’m not sure Walton is in credit with us. How many great saves has he made for the first team or how many points has he earned us?

He wants 1st team football and we want some sort of compensation for his footballing education. Quid pro quo.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Because Walton is plenty good enough to be first choice keeper in any Championship side, and even if they stay up Fulham will almost certainly need a replacement for Areola who is on a season loan and has been excellent, they like to play out and use the keeper as Walton will be used to, and it is probably an easy commute from his current home. I am not sure it is right to call him the 3rd choice keeper either, I realise that Steele is the one on the bench, but it wasn't Steele that pushed Ryan out. Where would you have placed Big Bob in the ranks of our keepers before he replaced Ryan?

Sanchez was Number Two in our rank of keepers in my eyes. I've never regarded Walton as Premier League ready. But if a Championship club is prepared to give us a million or two, then fair reward for developing him. Maybe Kruul put in a word at Nowich.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here