Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] chris wood to arabia-on-tyne

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There are a couple of things here I don't understand.
Why would Burnley sell their striker to a competitor for staying in the EPL? That last game of the season has Wood (2) written in the script.
Why would Wood go to Newcastle for 5 months other than for money? They stay up and Newcastle will be buying big in the summer which puts him in the reserve team for the rest of his career.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why would Burnley sell their striker to a competitor for staying in the EPL? That last game of the season has Wood (2) written in the script.
Why would Wood go to Newcastle for 5 months other than for money? They stay up and Newcastle will be buying big in the summer which puts him in the reserve team for the rest of his career.

Easy.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Easy.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a goals/survival clause in his contract as well, so make that….

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bit of a strange signing though, Wood isn’t exactly prolific

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Re why would they sell him- he has a release clause.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

1. It has been widely reported that Wood's contract had a buy out clause set at 20 something million pounds. Newcastle found out about this and activated it.
2. Wood will be getting a BIG signing on fee, and much higher wages than he got a Burnley - it is clearly a good deal for him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

1. There might be the reported release clause + their yank owner strikes me as one of the numerous asset strippers from the US. Sell every sellable player with a decent wage, put the parachute money in their pockets and **** off when the club is in League One or struggling in the Championship.

2. 5 months? All reports points towards him getting either a 2.5 year deal or a 3.5 year deal. He will make a lot more money and play in a team with infinitely higher potential.

For Newcastle I think it might not be equally good. They build a team strategically with long-term intentions or tactically just trying to survive/get promoted immediatly and they went with the latter meaning they are stuck with these 30+ players for several years which might delay their ambition to become a top team.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Probably been mentioned already but hypothetically the Albion have £20-25m to buy a striker. Welbs gets another injury and we know about the clause in Wood’s contract. Yes he doesn’t fit our usual mould of player profile but he is a known quantity and could help us achieve that elusive <13th place record highest finish. Do we buy him?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed. The Burnley takeover is dodgy. They did a Glazers - bought the club borrowed against it's own moneys. Except Man Utd won't get relegated, they are publically traded and incredibly wealthy. If Burnley go down they'll be down for a very long time. Their owners do not have good intentions

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Probably been mentioned already but hypothetically the Albion have £20-25m to buy a striker. Welbs gets another injury and we know about the clause in Wood’s contract. Yes he doesn’t fit our usual mould of player profile but he is a known quantity and could help us achieve that elusive <13th place record highest finish. Do we buy him?

No.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

No.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
+ their yank owner strikes me as one of the numerous asset strippers from the US. Sell every sellable player with a decent wage, put the parachute money in their pockets and **** off when the club is in League One or struggling in the Championship.

Agreed. The Burnley takeover is dodgy. They did a Glazers - bought the club borrowed against it's own moneys. Except Man Utd won't get relegated, they are publically traded and incredibly wealthy. If Burnley go down they'll be down for a very long time. Their owners do not have good intentions

The owners immediately 'endeared' themselves to their fans by putting up match ticket prices to £50 for their first game, which coincidentally was against us. Those were decent seats. Who wants to pay £50 for Burnley vs Brighton? Mad.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

As a rule I would feel empathy with fans of a club that have owners like this, but sadly I have nothing but contempt for their fans, much like Newcastle.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

I would not have been averse in principle. A potentially useful option. But we couldn't, and (rightly) wouldn't match the wages offered by Geordie Arabia. So, No.

Also agree about Burnley. I'd be very nervous if I supported them. Everything in place for a Bolton-style plunge.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I wonder if any of our players have minimum fee release clauses. 72 million for solly March etc.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Calling [MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can you imagine of Mike Ashley had signed Chris Wood for £20M?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yes they've overpaid but it doesn't matter to them. I think it's pretty much a perfect signing for what they need (and what is achievable) right now.

Ignore the 3 goals this season. Chris Wood helps bring the whole team further up the pitch. If Wood can help bring Joelinton, Saint-Max, Willock etc into the attack and scoring then that's as good as him scoring. For a team who create minimal chances, the one kind of striker you want is an arial threat. A cross into the box is MUCH easier than trying to work it in there on the ground.

Ultimately, Toon will be relegated/survive based on their defence. At St James' you will always back them to get a goal in a strong atmosphere. The issue is the sheer amount of goals they concede. Sorting out at least 2 more defenders is the major issue for them in this window.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here