Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Sutton and other pundits

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Chris Sutton was a nasty, arrogant player(didn't he refuse to play for England)
He is not a straight talker, he is trying to be as nasty as possible in a look at me type of way, if others disagree with him watch him get angry and at the next opportunity will repeat his point and/or have a dig at the person who had the cheek to disagree with him.
I like Martin Keown but unfortunately for him he has a face for radio because he has a head like a witch doctors rattle.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I generally do not mind the insight by ex pros but Sutton is terrible, also stupidly biased to the point its not watchable. Last season we played Norwich on BT towards the end of the season and comfortably beat them but the pre show Sutton kept saying we had no chance against a quality Norwich side, at half time said ever decision was going against them although for all of them all other pundits including Webb said the right one was given and obviously so, and afterwards basically just said he hoped Sunderland go down simply as they beat his beloved Norwich.

I never heard that and I haven't seen him on MOTD yet but he used to be on the local radio station at Norwich a lot (he possibly lives in that area). In these interviews he was less than kind about CH on many occasions so its nice to read your above point that he got his words slammed back down his throat during that 5-0 hammerings of his beloved Norwich.

The one I don't like watching on TV is Clinton Morrison, He tends to have that wide boy Elvis Presley rising lip. Topped with very little knowledge.

When he retires the best pundit is going to be Troy Deeney if he goes into that arena. He is brilliant in front of the camera. Really funny guy

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I never heard that and I haven't seen him on MOTD yet but he used to be on the local radio station at Norwich a lot (he possibly lives in that area). In these interviews he was less than kind about CH on many occasions so its nice to read your above point that he got his words slammed back down his throat during that 5-0 hammerings of his beloved Norwich.

The one I don't like watching on TV is Clinton Morrison, He tends to have that wide boy Elvis Presley rising lip. Topped with very little knowledge.

When he retires the best pundit is going to be Troy Deeney if he goes into that arena. He is brilliant in front of the camera. Really funny guy

Total coincidence he was on MOTD 2 tonight. I had based what I said on interviews I had seen him do amongst Sponsors after a few matches then he turns up on MOTD

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Sutton does a lot of media work in Scotland as well, due to him being an ex Celtic player. His bias against Rangers is quite laughable at times.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I can't stand the oh so funny BANTZ on Soccer Saturday anymore, all the gags and comedy have been REPEATED umpteen times. Nothing as BORING as someone keep repeating jokes and stuff that WEREN'T even funny the first time
Oh THE irony!!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't watch MoTD religiously, but the Junior Bobkin boys do. They ALWAYS fast-forward all the interviews and pundit puff – they are only interested in the football. If I'm honest I'm not sure the ex-pros add much value – I'd rather have a shorter programme and save the cost of them. In a similar way, I don't see the point of all the balls (excuse the pun) that I presume (not seen it for years) still surrounds the national lottery draw. All people want to know is the winning numbers FFS!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Does Mark Bright ever get on the telly/radio any more? I didn't think much of his opinion,

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another vote for Murphy and Jenas here - both excellent upgrades on the previous golfing-buddy drivel. I really liked the analysis on MOTD2 where Jenas dissected where Watford are going wrong whilst Troy Deeney was in the studio.

D

Deleted member 2719

I feel it's a shame that Danny Murphy isn't coaching, hopefully he will in the future. To echo what others have said, his thoughts are considered, insightful and he boasts a far larger vocabulary than most modern footballers. I was hoping that he'd be Hyypia's assistant when he joined us.

I agree, he was a good player, talks a good game and is very likeable.

Not sure whether he has his badges but, we have a rather nice training ground and set up he would be welcome to join.

Oh and Sutton is as boring as f%CK.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't like any of them, end of. Just because the great majority of pundits are famous ex pros, what makes the powers that be presume that they are any more knowledgable about the game than the hundreds of thousands of fans who regularly watch their teams each week?

Probably because most of them have played the game week in week out at the highest level and so are fully aware of the niggles, the professional fouls, the pressures, the psychological pressures that might be there, and all the other aspects of the game. Not so many of them, though, are capable of talking about it articulately - Danny Murphy being a notable exception.

The one who annoys me most is Garth Crooks - opinionated and intolerant. And he looks increasingly as if he ought to be starring in a Christmas Show as Toad of Toad Hall.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Probably because most of them have played the game week in week out at the highest level and so are fully aware of the niggles, the professional fouls, the pressures, the psychological pressures that might be there, and all the other aspects of the game. Not so many of them, though, are capable of talking about it articulately - Danny Murphy being a notable exception.

The one who annoys me most is Garth Crooks - opinionated and intolerant. And he looks increasingly as if he ought to be starring in a Christmas Show as Toad of Toad Hall.

Totally agree with you on this. Crooks is a classic example of someone who has simply been on the BBC's books for too long. He is grade A pompous; he doesn't speak - he pronounces; he doesn't think - he pontificates. Shame as he was a pretty useful player who was entertaining and must have encountered (and overcome) loads of the challenges that black players at that time had to face. Sorry, Garth - it's a 'no' from me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well I like Garth Crooks. He's a bit odd, but at half time during a disappointing evening game at the Amex last season, I told him that was a load of shite and he agreed with me- so he knows his onions. :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not the greatest as regards personality and presentation but speaks with a lot of knowledge and hits the nail on the head with his analysis every time is Alan Shearer. I also think both Murphy and Jenas know their onions and talk a good game. On Sky Holloway and Higginbottom were usually very true with their assessment of a game,.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I agree, he was a good player, talks a good game and is very likeable.

Not sure whether he has his badges but, we have a rather nice training ground and set up he would be welcome to join.

Oh and Sutton is as boring as f%CK.

Doesn't live too far away either. It's guys like Murphy that need to be involved in the game, not just talking about it. I kinda get the feeling it's something he's going to do when his kids are a bit older.

D

Deleted member 2719

Doesn't live too far away either. It's guys like Murphy that need to be involved in the game, not just talking about it. I kinda get the feeling it's something he's going to do when his kids are a bit older.

Dazza perhaps you can approach him on behalf of the club he is Prem quality.

Don't worry i will square it with Bloomers.
punk:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here