Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady Signs for an Undisclosed Fee (Updated)

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So were signing a player who got 15 goals last season in a dogsh*t Barnsley side for at most £1 Million and we are selling a player who got 14 goals last season in a decent Albion side for £7.5 Million + add-ons.

Great bit of business by the club, if O'Grady can be consistent - it would be the bargain of the century. £1M for 15 goals a season at this level isnt bad, rather spend that on O'Grady than some youngster from the Premier League with no experience.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
How miserably underwhelming. 28 year old journeyman

If this is us getting premier league ready, with the signings we are looking at, the club are really taking the p**s out of the supporters. The more you look at the calibre of players that we are being linked with, the more you feel that the fans are being fobbed off when Tony says we will have a competitive squad. I still live in hope that we will sign some quality, but my optimism is slowly being eroded. I fear that, if we continue to sign journeyman players, that season ticket sales next season will fall considerably. In fact i feel that the club have got away with it by having sold this seasons tickets already. I would still have bought mine, but not sure everyone would have felt the same. If we have to be prudent then fine, but if we are PMR off the pitch, what is the point of not being ready on it. If we have to tread water for a couple of years then tell the fans and most will understand. Hopefully in the next two weeks we will see the squad strengthened. The thing I cant understand is if we are trying to get to the premiership then at least half the squad should be capable of playing there. We show no signs of this happening anytime soon.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
So were signing a player who got 15 goals last season in a dogsh*t Barnsley side for at most £1 Million and we are selling a player who got 14 goals last season in a decent Albion side for £7.5 Million + add-ons.

Great bit of business by the club, if O'Grady can be consistent - it would be the bargain of the century. £1M for 15 goals a season at this level isnt bad, rather spend that on O'Grady than some youngster from the Premier League with no experience.

This.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

MASSIVE IF there though isn't it? What if he cannot carry on that consistency, and we end up with a Craig Davies or similar, and sitting just above the relegation zone come Christmas when he has scored 2 goals?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

This lad is no mug. Scoring 15 goals for a WOEFUL Barnsley side isn't a fluke. He's 28, and scored significantly more goals than the likes of Wood and Barnes last season. He's also valued at 1M pounds, the same price we signed Buckley for. What were people expecting? Splashing out 10M on a PL striker for a Championship club? At this point in time, we still have Ulloa and CMS. Are people expecting a multi-million pound bench warmer too?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

When you put it like that, it doesn't seem so bad. Let's just hope that the majority of the rest of the fee is going on player recruitment.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
MASSIVE IF there though isn't it? What if he cannot carry on that consistency, and we end up with a Craig Davies or similar, and sitting just above the relegation zone come Christmas when he has scored 2 goals?

So you've realised it works both ways - no point in writing him off before he's even started really, is there.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

If you were a Leicester fan, how would you feel about spending 7.5 million on a striker who has had 1 good season in the championship ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Don't think I've ever seen the lad play more than decent record season last year seems like he will be a decent addition.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Massive IF again there as well. If he is a flop, we havent spent loads on an expensive flop. ANY player you sign could turn out to be a flop, and there is a massive IF for ALL signings.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So you've realised it works both ways - no point in writing him off before he's even started really, is there.

I am just saying, we get hammered with this Premier League Ready stuff etc etc, and despite a pretty average last season we still hit the play offs, yet now we are gambling on £500k strikers from relegated sides. Very uninspiring stuff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here