Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Kavanagh

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It isn't where they are from it is who they support. I presume this is all declared in the referees' declared conflicts.

If it were all about where people are from, why stop there? Whatabout race? How could a white referee be impartial when there is a 'coming together' between a black and a white player?

Think about it. Come on, referees are a bit more grown up than that. :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well that's obviously not true. The big contentious decision the ref had to make was if the Fulham player moved his arm to an unnatural position to prevent a goal and initially Kavenagh decided no problem and gave a corner. William actually brings his arm down to a natural position before the ball strikes it. VAR then got involved, Kavanagh changed his on pitch decision, Willian got sent off, along with the manager and a incensed Mitrovic. That first decision with two outcomes played out on pitch, was clearly contentious and swung the match.
To be fair, he may not have even seen it even hit his arm, let alone decide if it was a natural position or not. VAR instructed him to take a look - that is not his fault, that is a requirement of VAR.

On viewing it, then he has no choice really, Willian stops a goal with his arm. It's not really contentious. Even Marco Silva isn't arguing against that decision, his beef was why 2 Fulham potential penalties weren't reviewed by VAR - again that isn't Chris Kavanagh's fault, that is just VAR.

Reactions: SAC

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I despise Kavanagh, think he's one of the very worst refs in the league... That being said Willian should have been sent off and the pen given for the handball, Mitro should have been sent off for grabbing the ref and Silva should have been sent off for encroaching on the VAR technical area, especially with how aggressively he did so. It's a total non story in this particular game, as Fulham imploded quite spectacularly all by themselves.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Happens every week in England that refs are in charge of games from their own city. I think this is very strictly outlawed in basically every other European league and find it really odd its not the case in England. But I saw some graphic the other day showing where the PL refs were born and it looked like 30% or so were from Manchester.

This is a year old and quite a bit has happened since but think it is similar now:
View attachment 158540

That said... I think he made the right decisions :shrug:

Of course, Fulham lost so they'll think the ref is shite as is always the case among supporters of the losing team, but that has no real connection with reality.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
oh ffs .....never mind....:headfuck: you lot are too conditioned to realise when you're getting the piss taken out of ya....!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Really?? Wild stuff considering the rivalry.

If a referee from Stockholm would be in charge (not happening, but theoretically) of game between AIK, Hammarby or Djurgården and Malmö FF/IFK Göteborg, it would be a very dangerous situation for him.
not for monsieur Kavanagh though ....he can strut his stuff with non fear of retribution....ffs

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The FA will want a Utd City final, will be intriguing to see if he gets our semi final.

And the draw was fixed.

Man didn't land on the moon.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Really?? Wild stuff considering the rivalry.

If a referee from Stockholm would be in charge (not happening, but theoretically) of game between AIK, Hammarby or Djurgården and Malmö FF/IFK Göteborg, it would be a very dangerous situation for him.
No reason why not.

The refs are fine. Until a fan's own team lose.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Happens every week in England that refs are in charge of games from their own city. I think this is very strictly outlawed in basically every other European league and find it really odd its not the case in England. But I saw some graphic the other day showing where the PL refs were born and it looked like 30% or so were from Manchester.

This is a year old and quite a bit has happened since but think it is similar now:
View attachment 158540

That said... I think he made the right decisions :shrug:

Of course, Fulham lost so they'll think the ref is shite as is always the case among supporters of the losing team, but that has no real connection with reality.
somebody call rentokill ....liverpool and manchester are infested..:rolleyes:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It isn't where they are from it is who they support. I presume this is all declared in the referees' declared conflicts.

If it were all about where people are from, why stop there? Whatabout race? How could a white referee be impartial when there is a 'coming together' between a black and a white player?

Think about it. Come on, referees are a bit more grown up than that. :shrug:
Just not reliable though. Declaring that you support a Premier League team will make it very difficult to get into the Select Group. Lets say you declare you're an Liverpool fan - right now this would pretty much always rule you out of refereeing Liverpool, Everton, Manchester United and right now also Brighton, Fulham, Tottenham, Brentford and Newcastle. If you want to become a professional referee at the highest level, it is going to help a lot to declare that you've dedicated your life to Aberystwyth Town FC.

Disallowing refs from refereeing teams from their own city does not eliminate the chance of ref bias but will likely decrease the risk.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No reason why not.

The refs are fine. Until a fan's own team lose.
I think more than half of all football fans support a team that comes from their local region. Its a pretty decent reason not to let refs be in charge of teams from their own city, IMO. Just like a judge in a court won't be in charge of a case involving his own brothers and sisters.

Reactions: cjd

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not convinced he did do it deliberately, when it's slowed down yes it does look like that, but at full speed I'm not sure he knew too much about where it was going to hit him. I felt the decision to send off and give a penalty was harsh, and that lead to the reaction from Mitrovic, changing the outcome of the game completely.

If that was the case, why didn't the other Fulham players react in the same way?

The only thing that caused the reaction from Mitrovic is Mitrovic being a massive twat.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not convinced he did do it deliberately, when it's slowed down yes it does look like that, but at full speed I'm not sure he knew too much about where it was going to hit him. I felt the decision to send off and give a penalty was harsh, and that lead to the reaction from Mitrovic, changing the outcome of the game completely.
Agree it was probably not deliberate - think he tried to save the ball on his knee but it ended up on his hand which was not that close to the body. The handball rule has changed like twelve times in the last three or four years but if I remember it right, "deliberate" or not goes out the window when the hand directly prevents the ball from going in. It is also the case if you score with your hand: does not matter if it is deliberate or not, there will be no goal.
If that was the case, why didn't the other Fulham players react in the same way?

The only thing that caused the reaction from Mitrovic is Mitrovic being a massive twat.
Mitrovic fierce passion and attitude was probably the reason, yes. It is probably also one of the reasons why he is a very good striker.
You give a little, you take a little.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agree it was probably not deliberate - think he tried to save the ball on his knee but it ended up on his hand which was not that close to the body. The handball rule has changed like twelve times in the last three or four years but if I remember it right, "deliberate" or not goes out the window when the hand directly prevents the ball from going in. It is also the case if you score with your hand: does not matter if it is deliberate or not, there will be no goal.

Mitrovic fierce passion and attitude was probably the reason, yes. It is probably also one of the reasons why he is a very good striker.
You give a little, you take a little.
Possibly, and I agree that he's calmed down a lot from where he was two or three years ago. But clearly has a very short fuse, and he's entirely lost it there and let his team down for no good reason. And now they'll be without him for at least three games, but probably more.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its just not practical given the concentration of refs from the Manchester area. I genuinely believe that the refs will not have any local bias - their professionalism is more important to them. There are good refs and crap refs, which makes it important that they are rotated, but I dont think local bias is ever an issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here