Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton

D

Deleted member 2719

Best manager we've ever had?

It is a job to assess as he has had the biggest budget, bigger than sami or Gus and had control of who he buys.

So I would say he still on his trial period.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
First post and starts a new thread, it's not that f@cker Nick Rhodes again is it?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
1 equal - Mullery and Taylor
2 Lloyd
3 Hughton
4 Adams mark 1
5 Poyet / Bailey (Poyet here on what he did not on him as a person)

I also think Garcia did a lot better than we should have expected... in hindsight.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Alan Mullery got us promoted to the top flight, nobody else has so thank you for your first post Chris but the answer is you are behind Barry Lloyd at the moment

I don't disagree although the main thing I remember about the Barry Lloyd era was constant chants of 'Barry, Barry, Barry, out,out, out. :) Granted, that play off season was special though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
First post and starts a new thread, it's not that f@cker Nick Rhodes again is it?

Hmm...let's look at the clues

1. Loves BHA
2. Called Tony
3. Wants to know what the fans think of our manager

........................Hmm.

I don't disagree that Clough was a disaster as a manager for us, although he did energise the place and bring in Peter Taylor who brought in Peter Ward. But is record with us was probably the worst of all the clubs he managed.

But that doesn´t alter the fact that he was the best manager we've ever had in that job. He just did a crap job for us.

If you judge a manager by his ability to get the best out of the players and situation he was presented with, then Clough's standing as a manager is as good as anyone. What he did with Derby and Notts Forest was incredible. And anybody who could piss off Don Revie the way he did is OK in my book!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm on the cusp between Taylor & Mullery.

Taylor laid the foundations for the success of Mullery's side. But Mullery led the club to the First Division so he just edges it

But not CH

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I don't disagree although the main thing I remember about the Barry Lloyd era was constant chants of 'Barry, Barry, Barry, out,out, out. :) Granted, that play off season was special though.

Don't get the love for Lloyd at all. From the 'modern' era, Mullery, Hughton, Poyet in that order.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Chris Cattlin should have got more time than he was allowed, I think he could have been something special. CH is doing a fine job but does have the benefit of a great set up and chairman.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
As for best manager I'll be interested to see what kind of budget CH has had to work with.
From memory I think Oscar had something like £23m and Sami had just £3m more.

That said if any manager were to be given a Mickey Adams sized 'budget' I'd want it to be Chris.

Although even in the last couple of years, price inflation has been drastic, so £32m today buys you a lot less than it did three years ago

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Given how well he has done here it seems very odd to think that CH was out of work for so long after his sacking by Norwich and that he was 2nd choice to Hyypia apparently too ( how shit was THAT decision in retrospect). He is doing a fine job but until he gets us promoted he cannot be considered the best ever.

He didn't need to be. He turned down 3 jobs at least in that period

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
1 equal - Mullery and Taylor
2 Lloyd
3 Hughton
4 Adams mark 1
5 Poyet / Bailey (Poyet here on what he did not on him as a person)

I also think Garcia did a lot better than we should have expected... in hindsight.

Although obviously his side won promotion to the old First Division, I'm not sure that I would put him at the top of the list. He did after all have the advantage of a massive budget provided by Mike Bamber and his board of directors.

Honourable mention should be made to Billy Lane too, who's side achieved wonders on very little investment at all..

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Although even in the last couple of years, price inflation has been drastic, so £32m today buys you a lot less than it did three years ago
That was widely debunked when I pointed out Sami's £3m increase represented at best polarity or more likely a drop in investment.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Alan Mullery got us promoted to the top flight, nobody else has so thank you for your first post Chris but the answer is you are behind Barry Lloyd at the moment
Barry was a star selling Dean Saunders and saying Richard Tiltman was quicker :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here