Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I hope not but the pure economics of football are that you get promoted, consolidate in 1 season then aim for midtable, then try for European qualification why should we be any different.

Most clubs get promoted, hang on for a couple of years and then go back down. That's the reality and in that respect if (IF) we go up then I don't expect us to be any different.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Due to us being PLR I would think that TB wouldnt be happy to get promoted and struggle for a couple of seasons then get relegated I would think he will want to push on to midtable to find our level there.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Due to us being PLR I would think that TB wouldnt be happy to get promoted and struggle for a couple of seasons then get relegated I would think he will want to push on to midtable to find our level there.

But.....and I know not every team relegated from the PL bounces straight back up.....if we have a few seasons as a 'bounce' club, which may well be possible if we keep the stability of Hughton in charge, we would be building strength and momentum (all that PL dosh and parachute payments!) to eventually become an established PL club, not one that occasionally punches above its weight (as we used to in the division) to scramble for survival for a season or two.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But.....and I know not every team relegated from the PL bounces straight back up.....if we have a few seasons as a 'bounce' club, which may well be possible if we keep the stability of Hughton in charge, we would be building strength and momentum (all that PL dosh and parachute payments!) to eventually become an established PL club, not one that occasionally punches above its weight (as we used to in the division) to scramble for survival for a season or two.

It was quite strange reading on a Norwich website in the last few weeks - Fans who hated the way CH played up there made a comment ''if we want to stay up we need to bring in a defensive coach'' someone responded by saying '' I know one but he has got a job as manager of Brighton''

So I think some of the fans who disliked him at Norwich are starting to realise that the smaller clubs need to be organised defensively well in the Premiership to stay up. They were 5 points clear of the bottom 3 when they sacked him and CH was confident he would have kept them up that year but that's history now and we will never know whether he would or not.

Alex Neil said on MOTD last night that he changed things yesterday and went more defensive and it worked and they halted the run of defeats. The Championship is a great league to watch football. The Premiership is a struggle for the smaller clubs.

CH knows what it takes to stay up in the Premiership and if given the tools he would achieve that if we can get there. Look at poor Bournemouth. They are playing well every week but ultimately they keep losing. Good a manager as Eddie Howe might be, he is showing his naivety at that level.

Once a manager takes his eye off the fact that survival is first and foremost when in PL that's when it gets precariously dangerous. Gary Monk is learning that now. I think he started reading all the hype about how good offensively his team were at the start of the season he started to lose track that he has to survive first and foremost and because of that, they find themselves in trouble now but they will get out of it because the team have good work ethic. Aston Villa and Newcastle Sunderland don't but Big Sam will change that soon enough, although the quality of his players is very poor. Awful recruitment there over the last 3 years or so

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here