Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton - what a manager

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I agree, as I said on the post about tactics tonight, Hughton got it spot on. I was more being playful about shaolinpunk's comment about us struggling to keep possession from half time until the 69th minute when we changed from 442. In reality, Brentford dominated the ball from the get go and didn't stop dominating all game.

But struggling to keep the ball, or having less of it in a football game, isn't always a bad thing. In fact, in giving up possession tonight, Hughton showed he was learning from recent mistakes but allowing Brentford to play in front of us.

And you're right Hailsham, they didn't create much at all. That was really pleasing.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Didn't like the 4-5-1 change though, we let Brentford back in to the game a little bit. Why not go for the jugular?

I liked it - it was crying out for 5 in the middle and we were still creating lots of chances as Brentford were gambling. We did seem very open in the first 15 mins of the match which wasn't helped by our attacking stance. Game was wide open at first. We did invite a bit of pressure on but at the same time contained a v good team well. Broke well and can't remember the last time we beat the offside trap - how many times were Wilson & Murphy through in that second half! Putting Wilson on at half time was the right move too.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
It was clearly a tactic to let them keep hold of the ball in front of us. There has been a distinct change in tactics over the last 2 home games in allowing teams to come at us and hitting them on the break. having a player like Knockaert allows us to do that much more effectively with his quality final balls/runs. Anyone complaining about the tactics in a very comfortable 3-0 win when we didn't have a save to make after the first 10 mins is crazy. Seems Hughton can't win.

Spot on young man. Betters than Gus and his 70% possession and no goAls

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Hughton deserves the very highest praise for what he has achieved in little more than a calendar year. Superb stuff.

Have to give plaudits to Wurzel in the TV box tonight. Took the ribbing in great humour. Gave a broad grin and a wave as the North Stand sung "he shit on the floor". It's hard to get too uptight at that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree, as I said on the post about tactics tonight, Hughton got it spot on. I was more being playful about shaolinpunk's comment about us struggling to keep possession from half time until the 69th minute when we changed from 442. In reality, Brentford dominated the ball from the get go and didn't stop dominating all game.

But struggling to keep the ball, or having less of it in a football game, isn't always a bad thing. In fact, in giving up possession tonight, Hughton showed he was learning from recent mistakes but allowing Brentford to play in front of us.

And you're right Hailsham, they didn't create much at all. That was really pleasing.

And this was a team who've scored 23 away goals so far this season. Hughton out thought them brilliantly.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Tonight was the first time in the 13 months of his tenure the fans started singing about him.
I don't know why it's taken our fans so long to appreciate the work our wonderful manager?!

The fans started singing? Wow, I really did miss something special tonight, can't wait for the Bolton game now.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I work in London and one of my workmates saw my scarf as I left this evening, asked which team I supported and when I told him he said "You must be very proud of your manager and club". I said I was, that I liked everything about Hughton and the way he dealt with the aircrash especially showed that he understood how important the club is to the community. My workmate (from Sierra Leone but lived here since a kid) said that he meant that I must be proud that Brighton had a black manager. When I said I just don't think of him like that, he's just a great bloke and I don't ever think about his skin colour the workmate got a bit annoyed - he felt I should remember that Hughton is black.

I told him that I reckon that if you asked any random Brighton fan to name 10 facts about Hughton that his colour wouldn't even get a mention. This did annoy the workmate who thought we as a club should make more of a big deal about it. I agreed to disagree but it was an odd exchange.

el punal

It was clearly a tactic to let them keep hold of the ball in front of us. There has been a distinct change in tactics over the last 2 home games in allowing teams to come at us and hitting them on the break. having a player like Knockaert allows us to do that much more effectively with his quality final balls/runs. Anyone complaining about the tactics in a very comfortable 3-0 win when we didn't have a save to make after the first 10 mins is crazy. Seems Hughton can't win.
Then I'm afraid we have a lot of crazy people on this board. :shrug:

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Hooton is a great manager and the way he conducts himself is inspiring.

I didn't like the crofts hemed substitute. It seemed to take the buzz out of the match and team. It's entertainment after all. At the time I was expecting sidwell for Kayal. On reflection I still think that would have been a better sub considering Kayal asked to come off moments later.

Anyway Hooton is the bizness!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It was a plan b, at least we have that much now. I was a little perplexed at 2-0 up at home with no real threat from Brentford, that we reverted to a 4-5-1, however, on reflection, we won 1-0 as a 4-5-1 so I trust in our Chris.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
With the pace of KLL Knockaert Wilson, and to a slightly lesser extent Murphy, a counter attacking style really suits us. Always tough to break teams down when they park the bus, so inviting them on, and hitting on the break looks a v good strategy. We looked so threatening whenever we had the ball and attacked at pace when they had committed men forward

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly what i and some others noticed tonight ive just opened a thread titled Tactics with this in it. Very very odd he shut up shop at half time and that was that,
imho not a good tactic to use it made it very uneasy and a very hard half for the lads the last 45.
Strange and odd thing to do could have easily cost us the match.

Would certainly have resulted in panic stations if Brentford had pulled one back in the second half. But they didn't. So it didn't.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Also, we have 17 matches or so to go inside 3 months which is more than 1 a week. So having Jiri,KLL,Baldo fresh and ready to step up is exactly where we want and need to be. I have also noticed that Stephens is slightly below par, he has been superb but presumably is suffering from being near ever present. Also Kayal appears to have a long term niggle so having Sidwell and Crofty up to speed and ready to slot in is ideal.
We are set up for the rest of the season , in a way that wasn't there three or two seasons back.Depth in squad.....

Nice....

TNBA

TTF

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Tonight was the first time in the 13 months of his tenure the fans started singing about him.
I don't know why it's taken our fans so long to appreciate the work our wonderful manager?!

Nah, we had a bit of a chant going for him at Derby. At least me and my mate did anyway.

Feb 14, 2010
Sometimes a person grows and learns into a role. Perhaps we are getting the best of him and his previous experience is serving him well. It seems he has the players trying and pulling in the same direction. We are not a great side, accident prone at the back and forwards either injured, old or iffy. We do have a good midfield and excellent wide. That probably reflects our budget. He is doing a very good job but so far nothing, ziltch has been achieved. Promotion success, failure to get promotion, is failure. Its simple as that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here