Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton - the most tactically astute BHA manager since...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Spot on. Its really not that hard sometimes just pick the right players in the right positions (injuries/suspensions permitting) who remember the first game V Sheff Wed last year under Sami and CROFTS was on the right wing. Madness.

You do know that Crofts played on the right hand side against Wolves at home during our poor run...

CH also played Stephens on the left side of midfield following Baldock's serious injury last season...

Basically, he's as prone to trying things as other managers have been.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Don't agree. I think like many of our more successful managers he has a way of playing that is working well at the moment but when that doesn't work appears to struggle to adapt. A good style of football but no better as a tactician than some other successful managers in my view. Also has had a lot of resources and backing in the market. And a great owner and set up.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You do know that Crofts played on the right hand side against Wolves at home during our poor run...

CH also played Stephens on the left side of midfield following Baldock's serious injury last season...

Re Stephens no he didnt not as a winger which is basically what Baldock was doing.

Right hand side of a three man midfield. Not as a winger.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Re Stephens no he didnt not as a winger which is basically what Baldock was doing.

Right hand side of a three man midfield. Not as a winger.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/959487/MatchReport - Crofts played as a right midfielder against Wolves when we lost 1-0. He was given some license to roam, but his position was nominally in front of Bruno.

Stephens started the 1-1 draw against Wolves as a left midfielder last year. He only started the one game there, but he did play the position and it was something Hughton tried following Baldock's injury.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

hang on, Kll was injured, march injured, Kockaert not signed, van La parra not allowed to play, Rosenior injured, Baldock injured. Putting Crofts on the right wing wasn't 'trying things', it was putting 11 players on the field.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The flip side of that coin is that we've only lost one match away all season. Hughton lost his rag with the team because of it.

Losing just one game away so far is undoubtedly a great feat; fact remains that if we had lost 3 of the 5 drawn games I mention, and won the other two we would be a point better off. CH has quoted unacceptable performance at Rotherham several times rather than defeat per se.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Now would be the time for some proof of any tactical astuteness from Hughton - I'm not convinced we'll see a change until the 60th minute - despite being 3-0 down.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I disagree you needed to get on his back on the first sign of a loss.

On his back? For continuing to be consistent in my comments in this thread? You're reaching there, massively. He didn't make a change first half, despite how it was going and it wouldn't surprise anyone if he doesn't make a half time change either, for me that speaks to his lack of tactical acuity, or do you disagree that changing the tactics would be an astute thing to do?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Hughton cocked up royally today, people may say it's Stockdale's and the defenders fault but we haven't offered anything going forward. Crofts in a 4-5-1 is too defensive against a team like Cardiff, attack them and try to get a goal early. We shouldn't change from 4-4-2 for the rest of the season bar perhaps the Middlesbrough away game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here